Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMorgCorp ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:43AM

I searched the forums to see if this had been discussed and nothing came up. So forgive me if it's somewhere on here and I didn't see it. Does anybody know about this? The church plans on building a new building at the MTC in Provo that is really tall and will obstruct the views of many home owners in the area. Well a lot of the neighbors of the MTC are upset because they claim they never knew about this yet the Morg says they let everyone know a long time ago. I don't know who's right, but I want to say the church is lying (and hoping their brainwashed members will go along with it for the sake of the true church!) I also wonder if this will effect anybody's "testimony" and they'll realize the Morg is a money hungry corporation and doesn't care about their members...only number$ coming in. Does anybody have some more info on this? And correct me if I've gotten any of the information wrong or skewed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:46AM

I think I read a news article about this.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53764720-78/building-church-mtc-provo.html.csp

Personally, I think it's a waste of money. The church is shrinking.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:52AM

The problem is that the buildings are old and can't be renovated.
And one nine story building is cheaper to build than several smaller buildings.

"Evans said the church perhaps should build two five-story buildings instead, which would provide the needed space without overwhelming the neighborhood.

Heaton said that option was considered, but it’s cheaper to build one nine-story structure."

Its all about the $$$ for ChurchCo.

Date: June 04, 2012 12:00PM

Ah, ok thanks. Yeah it is all about the $$$. I would be pissed because you buy a house with great views of the mountains and the Lord comes and builds a tall building for his servants, obstructing your view. I guess it's a great reminder that the work is progressing!!! Haha just kidding

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 04:23PM

It is the view of the valley from the residences on the bench east of BYU campus and the MTC.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:01PM

I'm wondering how many of the outspoken members will be called into the Bishops office and threatened with loss of temple recommend for not sustaining their leaders.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:11PM

When I was in the MTC it was pretty closed in. I wonder if they will do windows in such a way that missionaries won't be able to look out over that worldly, worldly place of Provo, Utah.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:58PM

Before entering he paid the local newspaper kid to deliver the news -- just the sports page actually -- under a bush on the back side of the MTC ... we'd always take a walk to collect the paper in the evening.

LOL thx for the memories.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 06:27PM

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details today since the Wholey Speerutt isn't giving me much revullayshun today. But apparently Deconstructor was about the closest thing to Jesus in the MTC with the exception of being a teacher, branch prez, or part of the institutional bureaucracy - i.e. he was a holy AP in his MTC branch. But with this high and holy calling came the duty and feeling of guilt/burden to make sure that the mishies in his Branch didn't succumb to the evil temptations of the world to accept brownies/cupcakes from some people who traditionally would put treats for mishies over a certain place along the wall of the sacred fortress called the MTC. Despite Deconstructor's preachings to the mishies in his District about their duty to not disobey the Lord's chosen representatives (i.e. the branch presidency) and to not break their sacred covenants and risk losing the Spirit (and eventually salvation) some mishies did indeed partake of the evil treats and thus Deconstructor brought upon himself condemnation and great heaping piles of guilt. Poor Decon must have felt like the lowlilest of sons of perditions on that day of his great iniquity. I bear you my testimony of this say crud cult. Oh man ;)

Date: June 05, 2012 01:52PM

Lol that's funny because from my MTC dorm window I could see the water tower in Orem that my family lived by. It was awful torture to see that when you didn't want to be there in the first place! Haha I contemplated leaving in the night many times.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:22PM

Neighbors will get to be inspired by the sight of a symbol of the One True Church's missionary stone rolling forth unto the world. Hallelujah!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 12:22PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 02:17PM

ChurchCo DOESN'T CARE about the rank-and-file;

you have to be in Royalty to get the time of day from the upper levels of leadership, where this type of decision is made/incubated/hatched.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:06PM

the nearby wards will be asked to provide volunteers to scrub the toilets in the new buildings

Date: June 04, 2012 03:11PM

Lol! That's a good one! Sounds like something they'd do. Or they'll just have the missionaries take turns doing it.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:28PM

In Spanish "bowl brush" is ...

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 01:06PM

ExMorgCorp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lol! That's a good one! Sounds like something
> they'd do. Or they'll just have the missionaries
> take turns doing it.

When I was there in 1998, that is what my weekly service was... Scrubbing toilets, cleaning showers, etc. for other missionaries. I HATED IT!!!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:11PM

You give, give, give, give...

and you expect consideration?

It is a one-way suckage people. Just ask the members who have had children with life-threatening diseases. Rather than help with their 9-year old's leukemia, they were told it didn't matter, that they would get to raise her in the next life.

It's cruelty and greed--worse yet, such callousness by those calling themselves loudly followers of Jesus Christ (excuse me, larger font needed, JESUS CHRIST).

Their bad karma will follow them and they are already reaping what they sowed.

Anagra

Date: June 05, 2012 03:57PM

...as if chatting with a Mormon is a GOOD thing.

In their dimwit judgment, they don't realize that chatting with a programmed robot is just annoying if not downright off-putting.

Remember those automated chats they started off with on the internet. Some bright star thought that having a voice giving you essentially FAQS would be a good idea.

Of course they were recorded and these would be live robots, but there's not much difference.

I'm betting the bubble in my chest for the bounce we will get on this site when people start "chatting with a Mormon."

Imagine those conversations...

"So, what did YOU think when you first heard the First Vision Story?"

"I was born in the church, Fred, may I call you Fred?"

"Were you ever told about polygamy?"

"Yes, Fred, we understand polygamy has been commanded by God at various times in various places, when it was needed. Then, when it was no longer necessary, God revealed to his prophets that it was no longer to be practiced, like now in modern times. Do you believe in the prophets of the Bible, Fred?

"Yes, but I thought the United States government threatened Utah with loss of statehood if they didn't stop practicing polygamy..."

"Well, God still speaks to his children through modern prophets. Do you believe God still loves his children?"

"And didn't the Mormon leaders continue to practice polygamy after the Manifesto? According to my understanding, this has been admitted, so my question is, when did you learn this yourself? Or did you know about it as, say, a teenager? ...Just trying to get the straight story about those rumors that the Mormon Church does not teach accurate history."

"I appreciate your interest, Fred, of course you want to know about God's instructions to his children through his modern prophet. Listening to the prophet is the cornerstone of our religion, Fred, and I can tell the Holy Spirit is guiding you toward the restored church through your interest and your questions. No doubt he prompted you to come to Mormon Chat and ask about polygamy and I can assure you 100% that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not practice polygamy. In fact, we excommunicate any member who even associates with those who follow the practice."

"But, but, you didn't answer my question..."

"Due to the number of people waiting on Mormon Chat, we have a maximum of ten minutes and I'm so sorry our time has expired. Thank you for your interest and I am forwarding the contact information you provided at the beginning of our session to the local missionaries. I am sure they will be pleased to answer your questions in the discussions and that way you will have the answers you seek in context from the right sources.

Remember, God hears and answers prayer!

CLICK

Anagrammy

Posted by: xxMoo ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 04:16PM

LOL That's about right

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:36PM

there was a suggestion that a missionary 'tele-center' of phone banks, internetwebz terminals would also be there for 'chat with a mormon' use.

How 'Nice' for the citizens of Provo!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:44PM

Isn't it funny?

These people either mormons, or not, they buy a house right in the belly of the beast and then act surprised when the beast craps in their yard.

I don't feel bad at all for any of them.

The last place in the world I could live (well, not really, but you know what I mean) would be next door to the friggin Monkey Trauma Center.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 06:30PM

LOL!

I had a different euphemism, same intent...

Posted by: 2litl2l8 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 06:30PM

The worst part about this, if they do it my view of the Stadium of Fire fireworks will be ruined.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:19PM

The Mormon Church has never been particularly sensitive about the property rights of others and especially not of the sensitivities of its own members over church buildings that have meaning to members. I saw this from the inside when I worked at the Deseret News in the 70s and they tore down the Colville Tabernacle over the objects of most of the people who lived there. For the story just search Colville Tabernacle, Utah.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 03:38PM

Some years ago 60 Minutes ran a TV article on a cherry orchard that the church apparently stole from the owner. I don't remember details, but eminent domain applyies to "The Church" as well apparently.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 03:40PM by tensolator.

Date: June 05, 2012 07:49PM

I remember this well. Garn Baum was an inventor and the church lusted over his cherry processing technology. They wanted his orchard AND the invention "for the building of the kingdom."

The story of how they stole his property and got the rights to his technology was so egregious 60 minutes did a whole hour on it.

This is an anti-Mormon basic incident, like Warren Jeffs, that we all should learn about if we don't already know it.

I got this link

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd0asb_cbs-60-mins-1979-lds-garn-baum-part_news

from this site

http://www.mormonstruth.org/mormon_church_is_a_cult.html

and I want to thank them for keeping this information in front of the public who may be thinking that their beliefs may be goofy but they "try to do good in the world."

The Mormon Church hurts people; it hurts families and it does not care that it does. This is the plain truth.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:59PM

The church basically stole two of my fathers inventions. They went on to make millions with his farm machinery inventions.

My father never said a word. Just let them do it. He could have been a very wealthy man. The church has no problem stealing from its members. After all if you're temple endowed you promised them all you have. They take your word for it.

They will steal your time, talents, livelihood, children, home, and anything that's left when you die. If you give them any wiggle room at all they will go in and steal what they can. They could care less if it hurts someone.

Date: June 06, 2012 02:04AM

Every time you turn around more and more examples of church coldness and greed are exposed as they prey on and exploit their members.

They are takers.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.