Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:52AM

My best regards to a man who expanded my mind, and was a fun guy to just hang around with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:08AM

You got to hang around with him? Or do you mean figuratively through his writing?

He had some amazing stories to tell. He will be missed.

Posted by: Ishmael ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:32AM

I met him at BYU. He took a big swig of his drink on the way to a q and a, and said, "Pure gin. God, I love drinking in front of Mormons." That glint in his eye.

Tears came to my eyes this morning when I learned he had died. No author carries quite that combination of deep humanity and smart consideration of the implications of our technology.

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpack ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:33AM

He would come every night to a place I worked when they were doing a show based on his works, so occasionally I would just hang out with him; never talked "deep thoughts", just "stuff', and I'll never know why I didn't ask anything "deep"--I guess I didn't want to fawn, but I did finally go for it and got an awesome personal book inscription. A rarity in SoCal, Bradbury didn't drive, so sometimes I'd hang with his driver.

I'd believe his space stories over Kolob anytime...

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:03PM

That is awesome, I'm so jealous of you right now!

My grandfather was a well-known painter in New England, and got to paint a couple of banners for the movie Something Wicked This Way Comes...but they weren't used in the final film. So, like most of my "celebrity" stories, they're second- or third-hand and not that exciting.)

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:40AM

Oh No, I didn't know. I'm from his hometown the one he called "greentown" in Dandelion Wine. The town (Waukegan) was very much as he described it
I love the magic he put in the everyday activities of kids, it wsa like that for me until we moved to s suburb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2012 11:41AM by nomilk.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:43AM

I read "Dandelion Wine" back when I was a young boy. It was one of the first books I ever read just for pleasure (i.e., not part of a lit class).

I can remember the two boys in the story agreeing that an old lady in their neighborhood had never been young. At the time, I thought that was a pretty stupid idea, since I knew everybody was once a baby. But over time, that story has taught me that events and people look different from different points of view.

Thanks Ray. RIP.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:54AM

The world has lost something amazing with his passing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.