Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:42PM

I quit wearing garments about 5 years ago or more. Wow what a feeling of freedom that brought into my life.

Unfortunately, DW insists on wearing them still even though she no longer attends church and no longer believes. She actually hasn't attended in about 4 years or so, but she still feels better in garments.

I don't get it. They are repulsive to me. I suspect part of her thinking is they keep her warm and she isn't happy with her body, it covers it up. Also she says the family would likely notice if she quit wearing them. So I'm waiting for her to see the light and not care what others think, etc.

Anyway, she went in to buy new garments at the DI since her others are so worn out and the lady at the desk gave her such grief she almost didn't buy any. They asked for her temple recommend-"Uh I think it expired." Then they asked for her membership number-"I have no idea." Then they got on the computer to look her up by Stake and find out if she had a current TR. Nope. They eventually sold her a few pair but the whole process really upset her. And the fact that TSCC now can track you on the computer and they know if you have a TR and all that really bothered her. The whole Big Brother episode left her upset...she now says that those are probably the last pair she will ever buy.

I hope so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:51PM

garments, being uniquely personal, are often the last items of an individuals 'Safe Territory' that they relinquish.

Someone outta compile a book about the bitchy women in 'authority' over these things in Morland (temple matrons, garment sales, even ward librarians).

ChurchCo 'can't' use the authoritarian nature of these women to a productive purpose, because... they don't have an appendage hanging between their legs.

'Get A Life' seems to apply here, 'eh?

Posted by: breatheagain ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 01:02PM

I remember going through that horrible fear of being found out. Careful of what I wore in case someone would notice that there wasn't a garment line. Like my underwear is anybody else's business. The problem for me was I couldn't wear them without feeling yucky but I really hated the whole judgemental attitude of members. It takes a while not to care, and be able to throw it back at them. I mean really they're going to judge me on not wearing them when they hate it if others judge them for wearing them. A little hypocritical right?

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 01:08PM

It’s just another sign of The Church tightening control over its members to enable them to extort that 10% of gross income membership fee. I’m surprised they didn’t totally refuse her service without the valid temple recommend as proof of paid membership dues.

One can only hope that embarrassing experience to buy scared underwear will convince your wife of the total fraud and to take the final step to separate herself from the Church’s control and influence.

You think God really cares what type of skivvies we wear or don’t wear? Sounds more like something the Pharisees would be into.

Just give a hug, tell her that you love her and that you’ll take shopping for lots of nice, pretty “gentile” underwear whenever she’s ready.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 01:09PM

Keep giving her gift certificates to Victoria's Secret. Eventually, she will find something she likes.

Also, it does not hurt to keep mentioning at least once a month how attractive you find sexy underwear.

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 01:13PM

I’ve found that service at Victoria’s Secret “rocks”….very friendly…very helpful…they really appreciate your business. ;-)

Posted by: coveredhead ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:55AM

VS does NOT rock if you are more than a size 8. I wear a 40D and they practically laughed me out of the store. "We don't carry such....large.....sizes."

If I were a 32FFF they'd fit me.LOL And I still love the garments...not because of TSCC or their meaning, but because they keep my thighs from chafing and I don't have to buy only cotton bras to protect my skin from uncomfortable, sweaty, underwires. *And I really, really need the underwires.*

It might just be that she finds them, like me, extremely comfortable...and at each piece being about $2.50, they save me money!

Posted by: LOL ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 09:14AM

Thanks for the visual.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 09:19AM

It's been a long time since I last wore anything by VS. My boobs are too big!

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:43PM

I love VS...and they DO have secrets..

To those women who are *large*...having all that weight up front is a health hazard...causes your shoulders to fall forward..and your spine to become curved forward...

Plus more tissue to become breast cancer..

To lessen the risks..loose weight

Posted by: Sister_Twister ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:58PM

Speaking from the point of view of a woman, let's just say you get used to them and they become like second skin.

Once I decided to stop wearing them it was very liberating. I think she will have to figure this out on her own.

One suggestion, take her to a very humid tropical island and see how fast they come off and stay off during the trip.

You don't see many Mormons wearing garments in the islands.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:04PM

I found the transition of not wearing garments to be somewhat difficult. After wearing them for 20 years anything else just felt weird against my skin.

Wearing a t-shirt helped. Wearing boxers shaped somewhat the same as garments helped. Not wearing them for periods of time or being slow putting them back on again helped.

I totally understand why the transition was uncomfortable - so there are maybe some ideas for your wife.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:24PM

Has she ever owned beautiful lingerie?

Maybe consider handing her the credit card, ask her to go to victoria's secret and try on anything she likes. If she likes something buy it. If not, maybe try again later. Let her have say and control over it.

It's worth a try. No guarantees though.

I edited this to say, Don't make her underwear change about sex. Even it you see it that way. She needs to wear underwear everyday. It should be all about her,not you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 12:02AM by Mia.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:58PM

Sounds like she's working around to giving them up. In a while, you might want to introduce her to the boy short style of underwear and maybe cute camisoles as a step towards "normal".

I wouldn't push it though. Just as we hate that TSCC would dictate our underwear, neither should we. Unfortunately for your eyes.

And if she has body image confidence issues, the last place she'll want to go is a lingerie store. While the lighting in the dressing rooms there is kinder than that of department stores... just the thought is bound to be nerve wracking if she's never been.

I mean, as a mo, weren't you schooled to turn your head away from such scandalous places in the mall?
Oh yeah, I might have been raised by extreme mormons. LOL

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 12:15AM

This is what confused me...You have to have a current temple recommend to buy garments, right? And the temple recommend questions include having faith in Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, the current prophet, priesthood authority, etc. While questioning my faith, I thought that if I couldn't honestly say that I believed all that, I shouldn't wear the garments. Kind of like how you're not supposed to take the sacrament unworthily. So I stopped wearing garments so that I wouldn't be mocking their sacred covenants - out of respect for the real believing Mormons. I guess most members don't see it that way, though.

Posted by: mrwinternight ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 09:32AM

Perhaps you should point out that her garments have masonic symbols on them. The symbols are stitched on. Over the right breast in Mormon underwear is a carpenter's square, and over the left, a mason's compass. The opening at the navel is symbolic of the evisceration penalty for disclosing Mormon secrets.

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 12:11PM

I'm sorry, and I know it misses the point, but i'm still floored that one can buy used garments at DI.

Posted by: student ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 05:14PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 12:18PM

A couple of people have made the comment that V S doesn't make bras to accommodate them. My daughter has the same problem.

She buys a lot of her pretties online. BiggerBras.com is one of her favorites. They have some beautiful items.

Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:45PM

Marcionite dont you love it when your getting it on and you get your wifes shirt off and then her bra off, there is another sexy & silky layer off clothing protecting her from harms way....

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 05:01PM

Oh, and here is another thing about the stupid cult underwear, apparently it comes in weird sizes. It isn't extra small, small, medium, large, XL and XXL. It is numbered in sizes like 31 or whatever. So you have to know your size in cult sizing.

Don't you just love garments? I could never, ever go back to wearing garments. It would be like putting on a straight jacket.

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 05:24PM

Never wore garments, never went to the temple other than for bapt. for the dead as a teenager but I unfortunately remember seeing my parents in their garments. I always thought they were UGLY and dreaded the day when I would have to wear them. Decided young that I would not go on a mission (I'm a women so no problem)!

I can see them being a turn-off to you ... they would be to me too but If it's a question of V S not being comfi or covering the body enough then try something like Spanx. Might be a good phase-out. I've never tried them myself, but they have all kinds of cuts and are made to shape and make a beautiful body. Geez, I sound like I'm selling them but I'm not. Just recently heard about them.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 05:30PM

1. Get her other underwear, get her to wear it when she can't wear the gammies. Wean her away.
2. The last use will be when she thinks she will be around TBMs.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 05:33PM

And complaining of Arthritis & cold most of the time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 05:34PM by quinlansolo.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 09:14PM

I think garments are the sexiest. But that's just me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.