Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anona ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 09:14PM

sooo.. it's that time of year here in small town central UT when...

My FB has a constant trickle of comments & status updates about the MORmON miracle pageant... who got what part, who didn't get the part they wanted, pics of Laminite kids in red paint, tales of events past when pranksters turned off the power but "miraculously" the light came on for the angel Moroni's appearance, etc etc etc...

The county is invaded by more overzealous MORmONs than I care to tolerate, as well as an overabundance of Hwy Patrol hiding on motorcycles to catch people speeding to their Manti destination. When the MORmONS arrive, the streets become instant parking lots, with what would be any-place-bigger-than-this-county's rush hour traffic. What few restaurants & business's there are around are also invaded. Constant MORmOM chit-chatter is heard everywhere you turn. Naughty MORmON kids ruin merchandise that their parents hide and don't pay for. Unattended MORmON youth roam the "safe" neighborhoods while causing more trouble than even the local college kids.

ALL this hoopla is for the most ridiculous, idiotic, inaccurate production I've ever seen.. Even as a devout TBM I thought it was L-A-M-E and was completely embarrassed to be associated with such idiocy! If it wasn't for trying to keep peace with a still believing spouse and TBM friends/neighbors, I would picket the festivities with a poster of JS with his head in a hat, and hand out business cards with mormonthink printed on them..

Let the fun begin... UUUUggggggggg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 09:17PM

do they still have lots of anti-mormon people handing out leaflets and such? I haven't been to that thing in over 25 years.

Date: June 06, 2012 09:32PM

Yes, there are tons of picketers from other churches. But all they seem to do is start arguments. Whats funny is some of them bus tons of youth here to picket, and they go around the towns knocking on peoples doors trying to do "service".

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 09:24PM

Eleven and a half hours. That's how long the road trip was to get to... that. That JOKE of a production. Almost makes the Palmyra one palatable.

The ONLY redeeming thing about that trip was I was dating someone with similar respect for the Law of Chastity, and while the gomer TBM couple we were with wandered the temple grounds, we exchanged a little something in the car.

Date: June 06, 2012 10:13PM

WOW! that was a helluva drive to watch something that pathetic!!

I'm glad something good happened during your visit.. ; )

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 09:50PM

Never been to one, never wanna to go one. the weather is too nice to waste it on that.rather go fishing

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:29PM

The Pageant stories that could be told.....LOL

Date: June 06, 2012 10:57PM

ya mean there is another exmo around here!?! that's just awesome!! I'm actually in a nearby town to the north.

I only know of one other exmo. They told me knew of a couple of others in the county, but i haven't heard of anyone else besides that. ; )

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:33PM

I happen to know one, but don't know if they are 'out'. Very nice person.

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:12AM

There aren't many. But there are a few. Most are going to be quiet about that though....

Date: June 07, 2012 09:39PM

Whiskey_Tango Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There aren't many. But there are a few. Most are
> going to be quiet about that though....

yes, i know EXACTLY what you mean!!.. also the same reasons why i am anona..

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 10:41PM

Then it was the Palmyra Pageant. I'm not sure why they don't call it the Hill Cumorah Pageant anymore. Is it still on the Hill Cumorah? Then I started hearing about the Manti Pageant. So, now that's the Mormon Miracle Pageant? Why not just call it Book of Mormon Cosplay?

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 11:29PM

I went to the Hill Cumorah Pageant twice. Have photos of my then pre-teen girls with hottie TBM Moroni actors. They laugh at those photos now.

I hated, hated, hated that pageant. I was already an un-believer when we went as a family. Stopped on the way to all the Mo-history sites such as Harmony, Pa. and the "Priesthood Restoration" site: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700129199/Mormon-church-announces-Harmony-historical-site.html?pg=1

Also visited the printing press in Palmyra, New York and the "sacred grove." My ex nearly creamed his jeans over all this. I just wished it was over.

The only thing I really liked about that trip was the beautiful tree-lines streets and Victorian houses in Canandaigua, where we stayed.

Those pageants are pure propaganda.

Posted by: The Holy Handgrenade ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 04:57PM

I lived in Manti many years ago. I had parts in the pageant for several years! It was hilarious how serious some of those folks took themselves and that pageant! I loved watching the "born againers" school the saints on LDS history haha!!

I did like those turkey dinners they served up at the stake center:)

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 12:05AM

Their turkey dinners were good.

Love your name by the way :) That's no ordinary rabbit!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 08:55PM

I was at Snow college a couple of years ago taking a class. Just so happened to land right about pageant time.

My hubby drove to Utah to pick me up, and then we were going to continue on from there. We stayed in the RV park that was in view of the temple.

We thought it was funny that the RV park we being run by A polygamist family. They were raking in the $$$ packing those mormon travel trailers in as tight as they could.

Date: June 07, 2012 09:45PM

that is really funny, i didn't know they were polygamists! I sooo wish we woulda/coulda met when you were here MIA!!

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 09:51PM

Was it the True and Living Church folks?

Date: June 08, 2012 12:02AM

That place is really run by a polygamist family? Never knew that before.

Date: June 08, 2012 12:00AM

The pageant is actually kind of impressive production-wise. Was never really into the content, though.

Lived in Manti for several years and a few blocks away from the Manti Temple. You could hear the pageant for miles--especially during the "massacre" scenes.

On a side note, go to Miller's Bakery. Best bread and doughnuts around in Sanpete :)

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 01:54AM

I was part of the pageant from its first production up until about 1978. It was always fun when Macksene Rux rolled into town and put us kids to work as Lamanites or Nephites or any of the other roles. Girls were generally angels or Nephite dancers. Of course I was a young feller then until I was 22 years old and had my eyes opened. It waas always fun to ride back home to Ephraim after each nights production. We rode in the school buses and took the old farm roads west of town. They were bumpy dirt roads but it was worth it to avoid the stagnant traffic getting out of Manti in either direction.

The local businesses really don't do that well with the pageant in town except the lodging and maybe a few eating places. Most mormons are too tight to eat out and bring their own food. We used to say that those who came from out of town to see the pageant brough two things with them. The Word of Wisdom and a hundred dollar bill and they were hell bent on not breaking either one of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.