Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: the one and only ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:41PM

Demand the return of the scrolls?

I'm not educated in this at all, so please don't flame me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:51PM

If you're referring to the Breathing Permit of Hor (the scrolls the LDS church claim are the source for the Book of Abraham), the reason that Egypt doesn't demand them back is because they're so common that they're of no interest to the Egyptian community. EVERY mummified corpse had those religious artifacts placed in their coffin - with only minor edits to reflect the actual person that was deceased. There are so many of them that they're almost generic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 01:52PM by enigma.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:55PM

They were common Egyptian funerary texts, dating to about the first century BC. Known as the Book of Breathings, a copy would have been commissioned by anyone who could afford one. There are plenty of them, and since the one owned by the Mormons is in pretty decrepit condition, I imagine the Egyptians don't particularly care about retrieving such an insignificant, common, and busted up fragment of their patrimony. They have bigger fish to fry...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 03:34PM

...that was swiped by colonial powers. Stuff way more important than the Breathing Permit of Hor. And the Egyptians have had almost zero luck getting any of it back.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 10:06PM

I have qualms about visiting archeology museums in general. I tell myself that some artifacts were rescued from destruction and not, er, stolen. Worldwide. But...you know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.