Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 02:52PM

Namely Manhattan and Hong Kong where they double as temple/meeting house. Basement has the temple font, the middle floors are for regular church and the highest floor is for temple endowments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laytonguy ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 02:57PM

They aren't as conservative about money as you would think. We recently move to the Salt Lake area and I was absolutely SHOCKED with how many church seminary buildings there are next to EVERY single middle / high school... The quantity is staggering.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 03:04PM

Just speculation, but I am betting if you could follow the money (made impossible by the morg's non-transparency) you would probably find that somebody in or connected to morg management is getting rich.

LD$, Inc. is totally overbuilt on temples, so there has to be some reason why they keep building them, and the more expensive they are, the more $$$ there is to be made.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 03:57PM

If it works for Manhattan, Hong Kong & Fukuoka, it should work elsewhere right?

In Fukuoka, the building is 2 stories. The top floor is temple, the bottom is mission office, apt for mission prez. Manhattan and Hong Kong have normal church facilities on the lower floors. Hell, Tokyo has an apartment for the temple prez. (not super well known).

So why couldn't they just do a large addition to stake centers? If these other buildings are suitable to get the most holy work done, why couldn't you do the same thing elsewhere? After all, isn't the so-called "work" the most important thing?

And I'm going to harp on another point again. There is absolutely ZERO need for the big temples in Paris, Rome, Philly. There has never been, nor will there ever be, enough active members to justify those Great-N-Spacious show-offs.

If it was truely about the "work", they could have built little ones that reflect the membership numbers. Then, build more as they get used pass capacity. But it's not about "the work". It has never been about "the work". It is all about showing off. It's about "look at us!!!!!!".

God, it just pisses me off that there are people who buy into this BS.

and another thing about the mormon temples:

The mormons used to build big, regional temples. Then they decided to build smaller temples and take them to the people right? The first time happened in the 1950's. They built temples in London, New Zealand & Switzerland. Then they started building them bigger. Then they had an idea. Let's build smaller temples and take them to the people. So they built these little silly ones in Samoa, Atlanta, Chile, Tahiti, Sydney, etc etc etc. Then they started to get bigger. Then they say "oh, hey, I know! Let's build them smaller and we can take them to the people!

That's when they started building the McTemples of 1999ish.

Then what happend? They started building them bigger & bigger.

Now, they are at the big part of the cycle.

Here is my prophetic prediction!

Within a few years they will announce a revelation. They will say "we are going to build smaller temples and we will take them to the people".

They will build them damn near the sizes of houses. Prob around 4,000 to 7,000 square feet. They will build thousands of them. The members will foot the bill. The members will clean them. The members will do the landscaping. Most stake centers are built in residential neighborhoods, buy a couple of houses that border the property, raze them and build a Drive Through of the Lord.

The members will call it revelation, but I had the spirit yanked from me a couple of years ago, so it sure the hell ain't that.

But here is what they forget. When something is rare, it's important. When you have to work for something, you will defend it. When something (temple attendance) requires heavy investment (saving $$, traveling great distances) you put a higher value on it.

With these sh!tty little temples everywhere, they become quite common and the drones are less likely to put a great value on them.

The temples might just shoot the morg in the ass.

I hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 04:10PM by Levi.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 04:20PM

It was when they were in their smaller temple end of the cycle about 15-20 years ago. They were talking about building temples next to stake centers or perhaps building a wing onto stake centers for templish purposes. I think they found that when they go small like that, then people don't get to have the grand, larger temples that makes temple-going a bit more of an experience. So, they started building ugly ass monstrocities like the Kansas City temple.

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 04:24PM

" So, they started building ugly ass monstrocities like the Kansas City temple."

I have to look at that thing from the socecer fields where my son plays.

I completely hate it.

Hate it.

Hate. It.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 04:34PM

There are attractive Mormon temples, but KC ain't one of them. It looks like the one out at the YFZ Ranch.

The one they're building in my old stomping grounds in Indy makes me want to cry. They tried to make it look like the Soldier's and Sailor's monument at the Circle in Indianapolis, so they gave it a minimalist flair to make it look more modern, and now it just looks like a big phallus.

And if you talk to any Mormons about it, they get all quiet and grieved like you've insulted God for remarking that the temple is ass ugly. Sorry, but it is. It needs to be said!

Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 11:18PM

The KC temple is still prettier than the Dallas temple and the space ship looking piece of crap in Provo...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 01:40AM

Awww - I love the space ship temple in Provo. It's the only one that makes sense because it was modeled after the mothership that the aliens who brought us Mormonism arrived on in the Sacred Grove. (BTW - they took Joseph Smith up and performed experiments on him - that's why he lost track of time and couldn't remember if it was 1820 or 1823).

Anyway, the idea that Mormons are from outerspace is the one theory that makes it all their crazy ass teachings and strange behavior make sense.

Posted by: freetimenow ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 05:03PM

Many religious people are impressed with big and fancy. Pomp and ceremony. Mormons feel "the spirit" in fancy temples. As much as Mormons like to say they aren't into pretentious ceremonies and buildings, they are. If the ceremonies were held in a shack, they wouldn't feel so excited about it.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 04:40PM

I mean telling someone that if they live worthily, they can one day go to the rooms in the back of the stake center just doesn't have the same appeal.

And the church likes to use temples as their big ugly pins in the map to tell all the world, "Mormons are HERE, bitch!" Stake centers don't do that for them.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 12:23AM

I think "the church" is headed for a great decline in the near future. I am interested to see what they do when they have more temples than members... and still have to maintain the monstrosities.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 02:05AM

Would you pay 10% of your income to watch a movie in a chapel classroom?

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 02:20AM

helemon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would you pay 10% of your income to watch a movie
> in a chapel classroom?

back in the day With my Nazi MORmON male parent in charge I would have, after all I got up at ungodly hours with little sleep to listen to stupid ass LDS BS from LDS seminary teachers in the what the fuck ever it was room in the ward house. I flushed two years of my life down the toilet, and scuttled my education so I could sell LDS BS full time for 2 years. I paid 10 % of my income for that BS, and some stupid ass secret handshakes and for threats to have my throat cut and all the attendant MORmON misery.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 02:11AM

I'm making a guess here, but I bet the church couldn't afford the extra land to build temples in Manhattan, Hong Kong & Fukuoka.

Is anyone impressed with all these mormon temples besides mormons? Do people gaze at the outside and decide they want to join the church so they can go inside especially when you know they are just handshake-factories/dead-processing-plants?

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 02:13AM

Pres. Hinckley was given credit for coming up with this concept
as if it was an innovation on par with developing the laser beam or radar or determining that e =mc2.

Yah, stacking a temple on top of the mission home /ward house, when there is no other space available it would take pure MORmON inspiration to dream that up!...... OR IS IT JUST ANOTHER EXCUSE TO KISS THE ASS OF THE REVERED MORmON PROPHET LEADER WHO HAS NEVER HAD ANY PROPHECY! STUPID ASS MORmONS!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.