Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JustPaul_inOZ ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 03:43PM

How many people that still attend church (Believers or not) have been aware of the lack of inspired leadership but rest happy in the belief that "they will get whats comming in the next life!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 06:35PM

Church has been as boring as mud and more so than ever in the last few years, I thought it was me, but I think it has more to do with the correlation of lesson materials, all dumbed down and teachers encouraged not to stray from it. I used to enjoy it when someone would stand up and take the lesson off on a tangent and develop a little bit of a discussion. That never happens now. The Brethern do not want that.

To get enthused about things, I went to the internet, joined the rationalists and became an atheist. It's much more interesting listening to Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 06:37PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: crowbone ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 07:10PM

When I was still active, but ebbing, I was asked to give a lesson in priesthood meeting on Jesus. I didn't feel like preparing one, so I downloaded a lesson from an evangelical site on the Internet and gave that for a lesson. We had a great discussion and I had numberous comments about how good the lesson was.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 08:21PM

haha. I thought I was the only one who did that! I gave a lesson on putting on the whole armor of God. I more or less plagiarized it from a tv evangelical preacher. Everyone told me it was the best lesson they'd had in ages.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 08:34PM

A part of me feels badly about this, but during the last testimony meeting I was in, I kept "reading between the lines" of what most of the people were saying. The woman who mentioned several times how she normally doesn't ask for anything from her VTs and is usually the one giving service rather than receiving, how she only has her radio in the car set to the church station since she doesn't think anything else is worth listening to even though that tidbit had nothing to do with the story she was relating... I had her pegged as one of thoses "oh, look at me, I'm so humble and great!" types. The woman who talked about how she always feels so spiritually knowledgeably inadequate and has loved learning from the wonderfully taught Sunday School lessons... yep... maybe I'm getting facetious, but I couldn't help myself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.