Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laytonguy ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 05:02PM

I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions with as much non-emotion as possible.

I have read a lot of posts on here talking about how they are continuously badgered by LDS friends, family, and missionaries. Many of them have talked about their frustrations trying to get out of the church.

I am not certain what allowed my personal experience to be different, but my experience getting out of the church was positive, in NO way negative, and the process was easy and simple.

Currently living in Utah near Salt Lake, I decided to submit my letter of resignation to the bishop and steak president via email. I also drove into Salt Lake and submitted my resignation to the church personally. The letter was not a long epistle of my gripes or complaints of doctrinal issues. I simply copied and pasted the temple interview questions into the letter and followed each question with a simple no. That was the extent of the letter other than requesting my name be removed. Like others complaining on here, I did receive the standard letter from the first presidency stating that it was a local ecclesiastical matter, which was a bit frustrating, but didn’t make me mad. When I followed up with my bishop, he said that things were in process. He was genuinely nice the whole time and never harped on me about my decision to get out of the church.

Sixty days later, when calling the church records, they confirmed that my name was removed and I received a confirmation letter several days later. My in-laws, although they don’t understand where I am coming from being TBM, have been completely supportive of my decision and even attended my confirmation at another church. Incidentally, I joined one of the few churches (at least in Utah) that will actually accept a Mormon baptism. That is why I was confirmed and not re-baptized.

My family and I moved to Utah in August of last year. I have a great job, both cars paid off, hardly any bills. Right now, life for me is great. As you can see, I am not full of anger, or have grudges against the church or anything.

By nature, I am a logical thinker and do not base my entire belief system based on it being written at the exmormon site. The issues I have regarding church doctrine I have based solely on what I read from the church. I never went to this site before getting out of the church and so it had no influence to get out.

If you have legitimate questions discussed on a doctrinal level, I will be more than happy to discuss without emotion being involved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 09:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.