Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 07:48PM

Richard P's thread ( http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,523742) got me to thinking about how church needs/wants certain types in leadership roles and I remembered something from my mission.

Unfortunately, I was such a mess on my mission (mess=severely depressed, shell-shocked, life was a fuzzy blur, barely ale to put one foot in front of the other while trying to hold it all together) that I can not remember names or dates for this story. Anyway, the daughter of someone important spoke about how her dad was sent to open up some country in South America. (Would he have been a 70 or MP? My impression was that there were not young missionaries involved.) She matter of factly talked about how the church does that. To open an area they have to first recruit leadership quality people - they go after wealthy and educated. I can't remember a lot of details about that time in my life but I remember being shocked to hear that. (Yes, I was dumb.)

Does anyone else know anything about this? Going after and converting the wealthy for leadership?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 07:50PM by menomore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.