Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 11:40PM

How the hell did LDS Inc. get away with putting a Mormon temple right smack in the middle of a new residential neighborhood in Calgary?

This monstrosity, lovely only to devout Mormons, is not going to serve the local community in any way. I wish the public knew that the Mormon church's temples are only open to a small percentage of Mormons themselves, due to its strict extortion requirements (although there are probably a few desperate Mormon souls who get a free pass by lying to get in).

Too bad the local community is blissfully unaware of what Mormon temples are and what they stand for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 11:45PM

I haven't seen it yet! My dad is in Calgary for work at least once a week and he always comments on it's progress...next time I'm there I'll check it out. I'm a little surprised they built a temple in Calgary...I've heard Edmonton's is never busy. Calgary doesn't seem like a very mormon place to me...it's a pretty liberal city.

Posted by: Bart Simpson ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:50PM

There are quite a few Mormons in Calgary, because it's the city to be in to make a lot of money. Unfortunately, the large tithing donations have resulted in a Temple.

So now we have a Temple view getting in the way of the gorgeous mountain views. Ick. Just like in Utah.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 11:58PM

From the photos, it's hard to tell how it will blend into the surrounding area. Another dead processing plant. Whoopie do.

http://calgarytemple.blogspot.com/

Posted by: Janet ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 12:11AM

Dedication, open house announced for Calgary Alberta LDS Temple

Published: Wednesday, June 6 2012 3:09 p.m. MDT - Canada's eighth temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will officially open its doors this fall when the Calgary Alberta Temple is dedicated during three sessions on Sunday, Oct. 28.

Can anything be done at this point to protest or at least make people aware of what Temples are really about? Guessing most people just think it's a fancy church building.

The article is at this link (below): http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865557029/Dedication-open-house-announced-for-Calgary-Alberta-LDS-Temple.html?pg=all

Canada's eighth temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will officially open its doors this fall when the Calgary Alberta Temple is dedicated.

According to an announcement issued by the church's First Presidency Wednesday morning, the new temple will be dedicated during three dedicatory sessions on Sunday, Oct. 28. On the previous evening, the temple's dedication will be celebrated in music and dance by local church members and visiting dignitaries during a special cultural commemoration.

As is customary with the opening of new LDS temples, the public will be invited to tour the recently completed building during an open house conducted Sept. 29 through Oct. 20. Free reservations for the open house can be made online through www.calgarymormontemple.org (the website's reservations function is not currently working, but officials indicate it will be operational "in the coming weeks").

The Calgary Alberta Temple is the third LDS temple in the province of Alberta, joining similar structures in Cardston and Edmonton in serving the needs of more than 77,000 Latter-day Saints who live in the province.

The LDS Church has been firmly entrenched in southern Alberta since the 1880s, when Mormons settled there while working on the Canadian Pacific Railroad between Medicine Hat and Calgary. There were also significant efforts made by the church to establish LDS colonies in the area. In 1895 the Alberta Stake (an organizational unit much like a Catholic diocese, consisting of a number of local congregations) was organized, the first LDS stake outside the United States.

The new temple was announced by LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson in October 2008. It has been built in northwest Calgary on a "beautiful site with a panoramic view of the city," according to Elder Richard K. Melchin, an LDS church leader based in the Calgary area. Access to the temple will be enhanced by new light rail and beltway projects that have been recently completed.

Once the temple is dedicated it will be open only to active Latter-day Saints who have been recommended by their respective ecclesiastical leaders to participate in religious sacraments — including proxy baptism for the dead and marriages "for time and all eternity" — that Mormons consider to be sacred. Regular weekly LDS worship services are held in neighborhood meetinghouses and are open to anyone who wishes to attend, regardless of religious affiliation.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 12:20AM

Does this mean people can't just show up? Does the church want to know who comes to the dedication for missionary purposes? Is there a dress code for these things? Tank top, shorts and flip flops okay? How about green apron and baker's hat?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 12:42AM

If there was one nearby, I'd try and tour it. But screw the reservation. I'd just show up. And I would show up in jeans.

Posted by: Birdie2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:43PM

That wouldn't do much, they expect non members to show up in jeans etc.

What would make a difference is someone asking difficult questions. They are probably not very well equipped to handle those!

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 01:03AM

I think I'll take a bunch of my metal friends to the open house...we'll wear our Dying Fetus and Lamb of God band shirts. Oooo I may actually do this!!

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 12:06PM

Way to missionary leads.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:47PM

"77,000 Latter-day Saints who live in the province."

How many of them are active and "worthy" to enter Joseph's Jungle Gym? Does the cojcolds really need to build these eyesores, or is this all about optics?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 12:13AM

They'll have to work on converting more Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims (ya right!) to bolster their attendance figures...Calgary has plenty of those ethnic groups...including the mayor....

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 09:32AM

It's a way to make money.

Have a nice building that only the "faithful" can enter.
What good does it do telling converts (and members, for that mattter), that they can go to the Temple if it's far away?

Having one nearby helps them sell their memberships.

But the optics are also a big part of it. PR etc. Look how big and special we are!!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 03:52PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:28PM

Good god, what a monstrosity! Truly the stuff of Joseph Stalin's architects.

(See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Culture_and_Science . This, too, could be an LDS temple.)

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 12:08AM

Oh, what a lovely building! I must be sure I make it to Calgary for the Open house and dedication!

Posted by: xxMoo ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 12:57AM

In some of those photos it looks like it's made out of cinder blocks.

I'd be more interested in touring the Brigham City Temple. Open House Aug 18 - Sep 15.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/brighamcity/

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 01:09AM

The land it's built on use to be Mormon owned farmland, way before the city grew out that far. I use to snowmobile there as a kid in the 80s...

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 03:17PM

It can't possibly be in Calgary: Moroni isn't wearing a cowboy hat....

Date: June 19, 2012 12:47PM

Bingo!!!

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 03:49PM

An exclusionary building where everything that happens is secret, in a residential area? Creepy.

Date: June 18, 2012 04:41PM

That's my point. I don't think the local populace that aren't Mormons have any idea that it is an exclusionary type of building. Does someone have a cool way of letting them know? I think they deserve to know!

Date: June 18, 2012 04:59PM

I think the way they do these things is they give out tickets, through members.

So if someone just drives up to go through, they can't. But if you get a ticket from a member, you can go.

If that's what they're doing, then it literally isn't an "Open House" but I guess that's how they try to do it.

Date: June 19, 2012 12:49PM

Can you imagine living across the road from it?......I'd build a neighborhood pub next door!!

Date: June 19, 2012 04:44PM

You can't. They already thought that one through. There are houses all around the Temple, so there is no way to build anything else there. It's strictly residential.

Posted by: Outcast` ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 10:22AM

Seeing how LDS, Inc. acts exactly like a corporation, I have no doubt they did market research to determine where the big donors lived in order to pick a location convenient to them.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 11:37AM

It doesn't act like a corporation... It is one!!!!

Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric
Corporation of the Church of JCOLDS
Intellectual Reserve
Ensign Group
etc. etc etc

Posted by: L8BLUMR ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 11:12AM

Of course it's all about " hey everybody look at us". Note that a lot, if not all, new buildings are built such that everybody can see them. They are suffering from small penis syndrome and feel the need to be King of the Hill. It surprises me that LDS INC. is not charging admission to preview the Great And Spacious building.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 11:13AM

...that they won't have those inferior Calgary Mormons defiling their temple and town anymore.

Date: June 19, 2012 04:43PM

I would rather have a Moslem mosque. They at least don't discriminate against their own members!!!!

Or do they?

At least their mosque is by the airport, not in a residential neighborhood.

Posted by: Dave in Long Beach ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 07:50PM

What happens when a neighbor drops by to look in the building? I know they're not allowed in, but what happens in the mind of the rejectee?

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 09:06PM

Positively ghastly ...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.