Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:36PM

I keep getting sent these from a non mormon. You gotta love it.

http://i.imgur.com/kPxlV.jpg

I KNEW the lunar landing was a hoax and now I've got the proof!

How does Farms handle this---just claim he had a great sense of humor?? Superior planet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:39PM

Oh yeah, I've quoted that on many occasions just to watch Mormons' heads go **POP!**, LOL!

Posted by: Probitas ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:43PM

You got a link for the talk where he says this?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:45PM

The problem is that the really TBM crowd will claim the anti-Mormons made it up to make the church look bad. Mormonism is pretty good at destroying evidence of comments like this so it's easy for the members to claim "fraud" about "unsubstantiated" comments. Or they claim he was speaking as a man. It also goes with their idea that they are so important people would actually waste their time making stuff up. The reality is the vast majority of non-Mos tend to find Mormons to irrelevant to waste time learning about, much less debunking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 05:47PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:49PM

Blue orchid,

Haha. prophecy gone wrong!
Didn't the astronauts send him a flag that had been on the moon?

p.s.my mother of pearl is in full bloom. Gorgeous flowers. So perfect, and such a sweet delicate scent,makes a beautiful cut flower mixed with ladies mantle. Thanks!

Date: June 19, 2012 06:05PM

I am so glad yours are blooming. They look amazing with a rusty coleus too.

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:57PM

"A prophet is only a prophet when he is acting as such."

I.E. - If a prophecy doesn't come true, then he wasn't acting as a prophet. If it DOES, then he WAS. SO SIMPLE!

Date: June 19, 2012 05:58PM

Go here to see how Mormons responded to the quote (and get a good laugh while you're at it):

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8201

Things like this happen when you let nepotism loose in corporations: dumb-ass hillbillies move up the ranks.

Date: June 19, 2012 06:06PM

Did I read that right? 49% still believe him? Hysterical.

I was thinking about sending it to a few of my siblings, but I see it would be in vain.

Date: June 19, 2012 06:22PM

Couldn't believe what I was reading. They claimed the whole thing was faked! LOL!

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:20PM

Wow...I admit, I have VERY BRIEFLY thought about the possibility of the moon landings being faked in the past. Never seriously considered it though. But the people in that comment thread...really? Nobody has ever actually been "in outer space", only upper atmosphere, because there's some sort of bubble there? Yeah...that was a sci-fi story I read years ago, except it was the solar system that had a bubble around it.

Yet another reason to get my super telescope with my castle from the other thread...look at the moon, see the lunar modules for myself, and it's proven.

Unless...all the telescope manufacturers are putting fake images inside them to fool us! Better make my own then...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:25PM

But that place is dangerous. If I'm not back in fifteen minutes or so, get hold of Raptor Jesus and get him to gather up a posse to come looking for me...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:48PM

(Staggering around and mumbling a bit; you'd think I'd been into the whisky instead of just burnt almond fudge ice cream)

This is a recurrent topic over there, BTW; I guess the "When the prophet speaks" added some juice to the discussion... The question never gets resolved, but you have to hand it to them; they manage to remain polite...

A couple of artifacts I retrieved...

>Now, I believe in faster than light travel (otherwise, how would Heavenly Father get to so many planets in this galaxy. But, for us, we will not "invent" faster than light travel, but I believe that after the world is transfigured, those in the Celestial Kingdom may have a chance to utilize it.

>Watch the linked video, and think of the words of the JFS as you watch. Some people think he was a fool to say what he said. Interestingly enough, he was right on, science proves it. We have been the fools to believe otherwise.

>That's fascinating evidence. Has anyone watched the Mythbusters episode about the moon landing? I haven't seen it but I heard they debunked this evidence?

>Ironically, Mythbusters debunked itself. See this link at... (link no longer works; I know; I tried it, and the video had been removed. No doubt by gubm'nt agents...

Date: June 19, 2012 08:38PM

I only went there for this! I swear!

(I have too few I.Q. points as it is!)

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:59PM

Joseph Fielding Smith: "Did I say the moon? Silly me, I meant to say Mars... yeah, that's the ticket."

Aren't the Mormons blessed to have their prophets leading the way?

Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:04PM

wow those people posting on that site are looking for any possible way to justify that quote! grasping at straws mostly.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:37PM

JFS--hahahahahahah

LDSFreedomForum--scary. Scary, scary, scary.

Date: June 19, 2012 06:39PM

I bet some of these people wear tin foil hats

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 09:34PM

Only to hide the propeller caps underneath.

Posted by: Feijoada ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:40PM

Lunatic

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:41PM

As others have said, this isn't significant in the slightest for TBMs. Either the prophet was speaking as a man, or the landings were faked. Either way it proves The Church is True.

Date: June 19, 2012 06:43PM

I was actually in the LTM when they landed on the moon and they brought in a TV for us to watch believe it or not.

I can't believe no one thought to mention this prophecy then. Some truths really aren't very useful and some prophecies aren't either apparently.

Date: June 19, 2012 06:43PM

speaking as a man is such a cope out. anything a profit says that turns out to be wrong he is just speaking as a man, so how do you know when to listen to the old guy without hindsight?

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:45PM

Easy, until he is dead, or proved wrong, then he is right.

Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 07:19PM

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 07:43PM

This one is a real favorite of mine. And the follow up is wonderful. In September of 1971, the Apollo 15 astronauts, Scott, Worden, and Irwin paid a special visit to the church office building. They came bearing gifts. Specifically, they delivered a plaque with a small Utah state flag that had traveled with them to the moon.

There's a write up about it on page 6 of the Ogden Standard Examiner for September 20, 1971.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 08:04PM

An ugly fact about traveling to the moon is that you must pass through the Van Allen Belt. That belt is an elctro magnetic field that wraps around the Earth and deflects harmful radiation. Our lunar astronauts were exposed to unhealthy doses of solar radiation, and several of them later became cancer victims. Though I don't know whether that can be shown to be causal.

The space station, at 350 kilometers, is much lower than the Van Allen Belt, which starts at 700k. Passing through that belt is dangerous and to be avoided whenever possible. But it can, and has been done.

Joseph Fielding had his own belt of ignorance. Those who try to penetrate it in search of truth are exposed to harmful stupidity. They risk cancerous thought breakdown.

Posted by: -procyon- ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 08:09PM

Interesting. And now Fielding Smith's gone the way of all the other dinosaurs.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 08:28PM

Hahaha

Yuri Gagarin had already been in space a month before JFS said this.

On April 12, 1961, Yuri became the first human in space.

Sheesh, JFS can't even get an ad hoc prophecy right. That's pretty sad.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 08:55PM by archytas.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 09:36PM

He didn't say we couldn't go to space, just that we couldn't go to the moon and presumably other planets.

Date: June 19, 2012 09:38PM

The first sentence of the quote is: "We will never get a man into space."

(I'm assuming the image is not misquoting)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 09:39PM by archytas.

Date: June 19, 2012 09:41PM

My bad. He was dumber than I thought.

Date: June 19, 2012 09:52PM

S'all good.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 08:31PM

For a complete treatment of mormons in/and space, see:

http://www.salamandersociety.com/spacedoctrine/

good for a couple of coffee-sprays on your keyboard.

NB: a number of august RFM'ers have produced content for the previous

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 09:15PM

I grabbed this quote off there which I thought funny yet irrelevant to the thread: "Even more important is the Packer Exclusion Principle - by D.P. Gumby

Which states that information which is true cannot exist in the same time and place as information which is useful in defending Mormonism."

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 08:40PM

What is scary is the 45 percent who think that we faked the moon landing. That is right Mormons, your church is so important that both the American and Russian governments set aside their differences, and spent billions of dollars in a massive conspiracy in order to discredit your prophet. BTW, the Russians would have to be in on the conspiracy, since their radars tracked and confirmed the landing.

Date: June 19, 2012 08:44PM

+1

Date: June 19, 2012 09:01PM

In the early 60s we spent a summer with my grandfather. I was a big sci fi fan and a huge admirer of Kennedy and the space program. I started talking about space travel and my grandfather quoted JFS and also said that BY had said there were people on the moon. I thought he was talking about the original JFS and I dismissed it as talk from people who lived a long time ago. I didn't argue with grandpa because he was one of those old people who didn't know anything about the modern world either. I asked my mother about it later since it bothered me that church leaders could say something so obviously false even if they did live a hundred years ago. She said it was just their opinion and not to worry about. I didn't find out till much later that he was talking about the modern JFS who should have known better. After all, we had already sent up satellites, dogs and monkeys. It was just a matter of time and I had always been taught that life on the moon was impossible-at least life as we know it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 09:20PM by bona dea.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 09:07PM

It is a little known fact that Quakers do not require an atmosphere to survive. They store air in their hats.

Date: June 19, 2012 09:17PM

And they live underground which is why the astronauts missed them. Oh, wait, there were no astronauts. That was faked.LOL I think crap like this is why the GAs are so scripted today and really don't say much other than platitudes. They don't want any more feet in mouths which the damage control people need to explain away

Posted by: zombie ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 10:13PM

Man, I wish TSCC's "prophet" would make silly prophecies like they used to. It would sure be a hell of a lot more fun...

Date: June 19, 2012 10:16PM

Well, if Boyd outlives Monson you might get your wish. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.