Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 01:27AM

Polls in Maine indicate that 55% of Maine's voters favor a bill that would legalize gay marriage, 36% oppose.

http://www.care2.com/causes/gay-marriage-19-points-up-in-maine-says-poll.html

In Washington State, Marriage equality leads; 51-42 percent.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2012/06/19/same-sex-marriage-in-substantial-lead-poll/

I am sure TSCC is working behind the scenes in both these states, but am wondering, if these numbers hold up, will TSCC become more public, as they were with Prop 8 in California?

Churches in Maine are actively collecting money to prevent passage of Marriage Equality, will the LDS join in?

https://newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/maines-catholic-parishes-wont-raise-funds-for-marriage-equality-opponents/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2012 01:29AM by MJ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 02:09AM

I'm sure they will get involved.

Normally I would say Maine is plenty Democratic enough for this to not be an issue...but after Prop 8 in California, all bets are off. I sure HOPE it passes...I know my family in Maine is for equality...well, my mom's side anyway.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 02:27AM

I can say from personal experience that Maine is a very libertarian state. I would not say it is Democratic. They have two very long-standing Republican senators with Libertarian leanings. In the last 20 years, they've only had one Democratic governor.

Maine is also predominantly Catholic. The Catholic Church has pumped millions into preventing marriage equality in the state.

My guess is that the LDS church won't touch Maine. There isn't much membership up there, and Maine/New Hampshire is reputed to be one of the toughest missions in terms of attracting converts.

Washington State on the other hand, does have a considerable membership, as does Cali. Plus it's closer to the Morridor.

I think the Church is more interested in influencing legislation in areas where there's a significant Mormon population.

But then again...

Where the Church would like to see Romney get the vote, they might realize it isn't prudent to fund efforts to prevent marriage equality...especially where the majority of the country are okay with gay marriage.

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 03:02AM

Ah, okay. I was born in Maine, but moved away when I was 12, so I guess my estimate of the political climate might be dated, or totally wrong.

Personal experience...have you been to Maine then? Sorry...not to derail MJ's thread.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 03:05AM

I don't want to say too much, because I'm probably being watched. All I'll say is that Maine is much more than a Vacationland to me.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 05:56AM

xxMoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rights should not be subject to popular vote.

Actually Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson agreed with you. That's why the Bill of Rights was added to the constitution and Franklin said democracy was two wolves and a sheep voting on what was for dinner. Democracies are mob rule and constitutional republics protect the minority.

The thing with gay marriage is it's a new concept. Marriage historically has been between a man and a woman. I think Norway, Iceland, The Netherlands, Argentina and a few other countries legally aknowlege gay marriage. God hasn't wiped out any of those countries yet. I don't think they even got any flaming hail.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 12:25PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 06:11AM

Washington was the FIRST STATE to O.K. abortions, that idea is still hanging on.

Repubs here won't touch women's issues with a 10-meter cimeter, they Know Better.

I don't know what the M/FM ratios on SSM are, but the chances of ChurchCo influencing it here are Close to Zero.

most everyone here is applauding the prop 8 rulings of Walker, we're a Highly Informed & sophisticated populous.

Maine & Washington (don't wanna jinx this)... barring something outta the Blue; Done deals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2012 06:14AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 09:00AM

There are also no major pro-Obama churches were the majority of the members are anti-gay marriage. In California, you had a huge turn out from the black churches to vote for Obama, but the majority of these congregates were anti-gay rights. This has been sighted as the reason Obama won the state by a wide margin, while gay rights lost by a slight margin. If the vote had been held in an off year, where there wasn't vested interest in getting out the Urban vote, Gays would have never lost the right to marry in CA.

This election is going to bring out a lot of Mormon voters in droves, but it is also going to keep home a large number of the more religious opposition of Gay Marriage. It is even possible that a significant number of Mormons will break from their church on this issue, even while pulling the level for Romney. This is an excellent year to run a vote for Gay rights.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 12:36PM

Their secretly- and highly-paid rabid-dog organ, the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) spent a $#!t-ton of dough in Maine spreading misinformation and lies. All backed by the Mormon church to ensure they never ran short of $$$ to fund their media campaign.

This is the campaign, you will recall, that sent NOM into court scrambling to keep from revealing their donors' list. The court case did reveal many things about NOM's nefarious attempts to manipulate Black and Hispanic voters against LGBT civil rights by playing the race card.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 08:30PM

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 10:03PM

The LDS Church had a massive amount of members to draw on in California. While California is thought of as a "liberal state," just go to places like Bakersfield or the agricultural interior to see there are millions upon millions of conservatives.

The LDS Church also has a long and established history there.

In WA, while there are enough members for a few temples, they are not a visible part of society. The politics of WA are very, very different--and the Morg doesn't have enough bots to seriously influence the election like it did in CA. This is the state where they would try, though.

In Maine... pshhhhh. They can mobilize all seven Mormons there and maybe knock on half of Rockland's doors before the Lobster Festival to try and swing something, but it ain't happening. The Morg seems to be VERY cautious when east of the Mississippi. They seem more concerned with their ties to power and business than social issue activism.

Plus, you can live your whole life back east and never encounter a single member.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 06:37AM

I'm just wondering when the national organization for marriage, or
focus on the family
will trot out my sister and hubby
on national news for this bullcrap.....
God I wish I had national media contacts
to counteract
the hatred....
I'm so done with being silent.....

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 10:38AM

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 07:33AM

I'm tempted to say that the Morg should have learned its lesson with the debacle of Prop 8, but the self destructive stupidity of the Morg has ceased to surprise me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.