Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 08:50PM

I was stuck in very slow moving traffic yesterday and up a head I saw to young men wearing dark pants and white shirts walking in the same direction as the traffic.

As I got closer I could see their garment tops through their white shirts. Could it be? Could it?

Eventually I was right beside them! And because the traffic was so slow I could clearly see their name tags and that each was carrying a BoM.

"Wow! Real life Mormons!" I said aloud and surprised because I've only ever seen mishies twice before in all my 44 years. I was soooo excited! It was like seeing an elusive species of bird of something! lol.

I so badly wanted to offer them a lift and ask them to tell me about Fanny Alger. ;-) But I chickened out and just smiled and waved. :-/

Maybe next time, I won't be so deer-in-the-headlights. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 08:51PM by spaghetti oh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wisewoman ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 09:01PM

I am just waiting to sight them so I can bring them home to do some serious yard work!

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 10:01AM

you are not looking in the right place
just hang out at the local library !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfiHXm6990

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:49PM

In their defense, and because our two sons served missions, I will say that much of the time they do spend at the library is probably focused on family things. I LIVED for the emails I got each week - oftentimes they were able to hang around long enough to chat with me, via email, for an hour or so before they had to get back to work (which they always did). I would ply them with information about stuff going on at home, with their friends, in the world of sports (I didn't care what mission presidents said - these were young men who still loved their basketball and football!), and pictures, whenever I could. Sometimes the library was their only option to connect with us and they lived for that hour/week too. Some missionaries waste time, there- no doubt, but some use it for good because they miss their families and they know their momma is just waiting for that first email to roll in. :)

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:22AM

Weird. I see them almost every time I'm at the grocery store.

Date: June 22, 2012 10:27AM

I live on Vancouver Island, BC. There are probably more cougars than mormons, so seeing a pair of mishies was peculiar. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 10:28AM by spaghetti oh.

Date: June 22, 2012 02:28PM

Haha... (growl!)

;-)

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:52PM

One of our sons served in the Vancouver mission a while back and spent time on the island - loved it there!!

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 09:50AM

I wanted to say something but decided against it.
I was buying my ice tea fix.
KJ

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 09:55AM

Life is way more satisfying when you have a plan for the missionaries well-rehearsed and ready to go ;)

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 10:14AM

When I was in Iowa visiting my wife's family, there were ten of them together at a Mongolian restaurant (either two or four sister mishies and the rest elders). I was tempted to say hi, but figured they didn't want to be bothered on their lunch break either.

Posted by: bvd ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 10:36AM

I was on a mission in Guatemala-Belize (in the 90s) and last year a client took me to Belize to be sort of a guide. Anyway we were driving down the street in an area I was in for 3 months and boom, there they were, the mishies... Was weird seeing them there, since the last time I was there I was doing the same thing. Didn't have time to stop and talk or I would have to see how things were going in the area.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:52AM

Last time I was out on the porch with a friend, a bottle of wine, and two stemmed glasses. Oh boy! Here come the Mormons! They said "hi" and we said "hi" and then they saw the wine and kept on walking. LOL!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:55AM

That's so awesome. Next time you should have some assorted drinks and a hooka out. Ask them if they want to join :)

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:16PM

I've not seen any missionaries in quite a while.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:23PM

Last time I saw the missionaries they knocked on my door. I told them I knew all about their church and wasn't interested but that if they ever wanted to use the phone or computer, mine were available to them anytime I was home. I was hoping they would take me up on it, but they didn't and word must have spread because that was well over a year ago and I ususally get them every time a new bunch comes to town because I live in of the few walking neighborhoods in a mountain town.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.