Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Deluded ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 11:14PM

I bet I am right. At some point, he will be a GA, or apostle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 11:39PM

He has way too much money to want to actually work, as I believe most of them do at that level.

I think it would be below him. The guy wants to be head of the free world, not one of committee running a piss ant little church.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:33AM

I agree 100%. I believe he is a politician first, a businessman second, and a Mormon maybe a distant third. There is nothing to prove that he actually believes in Mormonism.

But then again, there is nothing to prove that any GA or apostle actually believes in the BS, right? :)

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:47PM

"There is nothing to prove that he actually believes in Mormonism."

As mormon royalty, ex missionary & Stake President, the man is _heavily_ invested in his church. I also read him as a motivated organizational climber & status seeker.

Being a GA would be very seductive to him (either as ex-pres, or never-pres); the effect on the LDS population of an ex US Pres becoming a Mormon GA would be a massive group orgasm.
================================

The depth of his belief in mormonism would be distinctly secondary, if not outright irrelevant to the above.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 21, 2012 11:53PM

I think he'd take it.

Terrific Prestige - PR/example for himself, family.

remember, the culture is to 'automatically' accept callings/assignments. He's still human, ya know.

ALL people enjoy positions where they're admired, it would simply be a choice of loyalty with him since $ 'doesn't matter'.

whether or not they'd offer it to him is another question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 12:28AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: June 22, 2012 12:34AM

Terrific prestige coming from Mormons maybe. Mormons are irrelevant in the political setting, however, and it would be political suicide if he ever did take a position like that.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:23AM

That's probably because his father threatened to resign, rather then have the church use his political status to promote racial discrimination. It's one of the reasons I am hopeful about a Romney win, even if it will make Mormons insufferable.

BTW, I don't remember the exact details. I think Steve Benson wrote something about the Dad's moral stand, but I only vaguely recall it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 12:24AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:43PM

I think his dad was actually a man with a lot of principles that would not be compromised, but Willard doesn't hold anything sacred. He'll blow with the wind at all times and on all issues. Would have made a sublime puppet leader somewhere in the third world.

Then again, if the purpose of elected officials remains to do what their constituents tell them to do, have no fear. Whether it's genocide against the unwashed masses or universal healthcare, Willard will give ya what ya want...

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:25AM

So what are the odds of Harry Reid being a GA?

lol

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:31AM

Not good, seeing that his blatant criticism of Prop 8 did not exactly win him the GA's Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:48PM

HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA. I'm surprised he hasn't been excommunicated yet.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:26AM

IIRC, G. Romney was the SP while I was serving there; not sure, as I beleive 'stronger' that he was CEO of American Motors. that would be a tough Double-Duty.

BTW, the mish cars were A.Motors 'ramblers'.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 01:13AM

when George Romney ran for President

and I kid you not, the Stake President got up in Sacrament meeting and said good Latter-day Saints sould buy American Motor cars.

And what's crazier is a couple actually traded in their station wagon and bought an American Motors car.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 03:01AM

The CEO of Eastman Kodak was a family friend and they made him stake president. It was a full load.

Date: June 22, 2012 12:32AM

Based on what?

Posted by: Hopi Bon! ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 01:37AM

They won't offer it to him. It's a consolation prize. And they spend too much money making the 15 more important in the eyes of the members than any government leader, celebrity or clergy.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 03:23AM

If Mittler didn't believe in Mo-ism (at least up to a point), he would have resigned a long time ago. He knows that it is a major problem for getting elected. Or maybe he could not even be true to himself enough to do that. He is such a liar, I think he even lies to himself continually.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:07AM

He is in the same position as Richard Dutcher. He is shackled to the MORmON church. He needs MORmONISM as a stepping stone, for that first step, then the stepping stone becomes a stumbling block. MORmONISM is ALREADY DEAD! Romney will just hasten the final stages of absolute obsolescence for MORmONISM.

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:55AM

If he does, the credibility of GA's just took one more nosedive downward. Proves they don't care if a GA is a huge liar - so long as he has money and power!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 05:32AM

Romney will not be made a GA.

Baura has spoken.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 08:32AM

He's like Huntsman, Sr. He's much more use to the church being in the corporate world making millions and giving them 10%. They can find many other corporate types who only make a measly million a year to tap for G.A.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 09:03AM

Too famous. And not spiritual enough. I bet he doesn't believe Joseph found plates buried in a hill as revealed by an angel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 09:04AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 09:28AM

If Mitt gets elected, he will serve his 4 or 8 years in office and the church will lay low for those years.

Then, as soon as he is out of the presidency, the church will call him to be head of the church's humanitarian missionary program. He and Ann will be photographed all over the world wherever there is human suffering and the whole world will know how wonderful and generous the mormon church is. It will be one great big photo op. And ex-presidents are pretty well liked for the most part. Even those that didn't like them in office seem to see them as a patriotic symbol of our country.

I will bet money that something very similiar to this will play out.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 10:14AM

IMHO there is no chance Romney will be a GA. Even Mormons would not believe this guy if he got up in GC and bore his testimony and bored his audience. He comes across as even less authentic than the average GA, and that is a low bar to clear. The GAs know this, and wouldn't want him watering down their already low credibility.

Appointment as some sort of goodwill ambassador/lobbyist for LDS Inc is possible.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:21PM

I dunno. If he is really a TBM, then possibly, yes.

If he's just faking that he likes Mormonism and really can't stand it, then no.

Posted by: alex71ut not logged in ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 01:09PM

If Mitt loses then I could see him getting some calling to be an ambassador-at-large around 2014 for the church like David Kennedy was, but no sooner. And such a calling could be used to put him in as an Area Authority Seventy like Huntsman Sr. or Marriott Jr. were where he could be correlated into the LDS inc. program. If he wins then he'll never be a GA or Area Authority Seventy once he's done in 2017 or 2021 but he'd certainly be welcomed/embraced at General Conference.

The church will try to "lay low". The problem with that approach is that the media generally tries to sensationalize things in the lives of our Presidents. And we all know that Mitt's religion will be a problem for him IF he is elected President. It might not catch on in the "mainstream" religion. But his undies and other silly things won't go unnoticed altogether.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 01:24PM

It would be a big step back for him. Going from POTUS with all that entails to Junior Apostle? I don't think so.

Even if he loses, he's too big a name/brand to be wasted sitting in stake conferences somewhere.

Either way, the Big 15 will send him around the world shaking the pom-poms for the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.