Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 10:39AM

On another site it talks about Elder Benard or some name like that going to Stake Conference recently. He gives an Apostle's blessing and then the young people are very noisy in Chapel at the end of conference so he withdraws the blessing!!!!

The site did not give a lot of details but referred to another site but did not give the name of that site.

Is there anyone here that has more detailed information on this incident?

Questions I have are this:

How can you give a blessing and then withdraw unless you were God?

What kind of a prick would do that to the whole stake, when only a few people were involved?

What is an Appostle's blessing. My wife was all excited that at a stake conference she attended in Utah recently they gave an Apostle's blessing. If they can do this why do they not give revelations on issues such as child poverty in the world, global warming, warnings to nations that oppress people, etc?

Has any one gone to a conference where an Apostle's blessing was given and did it have an impact on the stake or the members in their lives?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 10:41AM

I went to a stake conference in Northern Utah once, a few years back, and the apostle (can't recall who now...) pronounced an apostolic blessing on us.

We felt sooo blessed!

Actually nothing happened.

The end.

Posted by: WOW That is Impressive ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 10:44AM

All show and no action then.....

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:20AM

Please see following URL: http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?p=794748

Appears to have happened in March.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:23AM

Easy way to get out of any specific "blessings" he might have mentioned because they weren't going to happen anyway. Looks spiritual, looks righteously angry, butt is covered when bupkus happens. Perfect.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:25AM

NPD with a side order of jerk.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:49AM

If I believed in reincarnation I'd say Goebbels is back on the earth.

Funny though, you'd think Uchtdorf,the German, would recognize a Nazi when he sees one.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:33PM

Perfectly said, Mia.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:31AM

Hahahah maybe someone mentioned something about Elder Bednar's pickle, so he took his cucumber and went home.

What a doofus. Grown men behaving like 6 year olds.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:17PM

ROTFLMFAO!!!

+1,000,000!

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:33AM

This is the new product they are peddling to get members fired up. They don't give revelations or new scripture so an apostolic blessing is the next best thing. Makes members feel speshul.

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:37AM

I can't wait until this Pickle Nazi becomes the Profit. What a major dork.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:38AM

I think the whole thing says more about the ego of the apostle than anything. How DARE they not all be in total hushed awe in his magnificent presence? At least they didn't call him "old bald head" so that he would have been compelled to call in the wild bears to devour the children.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 12:15PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: weaverone ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:49AM

That is still my all-time favorite scripture story. Its proof enough for me that the OT is false.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:44AM

Kids and adolescents are noisy.

If the GAs resent noise and commotion they should not be encouraging Mormons to have so many kids.

Bednar is an ass clown.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:50AM

+ 10000000

And to add to your comment, they especially shouldn't be encourage people to start popping them out when they themselves are still teenagers. One unexperienced 19-year-old mom + one unexperienced 19-year-old dad + cranky baby in mom's arms + one more cranky baby growing in her belly = WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:54AM

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:53AM

First question you asked had the problem:

"How can you give a blessing and then withdraw unless you were God?"

Blessings aren't real, and therefore can not be given nor taken away.

Problem solved. :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:03PM

You know, that which is bound on earth shall be bound in heaven, and that which is loosed on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Mormons are big on that concept, cause they got the keys. Can't drive anywhere without the keys, dude. Except Warren Jeffs thinks he's got the real keys, but let's not go there right now.

It's not nearly as silly as missionaries dusting their feet off or whatever that nonsense was to show they were ticked off at a town that managed to ignore their precious gift.

But yeah, all fake. Unicorns can neither be given, nor taken back. This story sounds fake too, but it is not beyond belief that a GA would be so full of himself to do something like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 02:08PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: yikes ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 11:54AM

Bednar told our stake prez (off the record) that there would never be a temple in the KC area until the Independence/Jackson county one was built.
Ha!
The very next year Pompous S Monson announced the KC temple (which is now open for business in the next county over).
I LOL whenever I think about how seriously Bednar takes himself and the morg.
Now that I'm out he strikes me as one scary dude.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:21PM

I think the issue is the church cannot build on the jackson county temple lot because members would take it as a sign to pull up stakes and move to KC in mass. KC doesn't want the church encouraging 6 million members to move to MO. Notice how the church no longer preaches the gathering of zion idea. You are supposed to "gather" in your own country.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 03:52PM

The primary reason that no temple is built on the land dedicated for a temple in Independence, Missouri, is that the LDS Church does not own the property. The temple lot itself is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Temple Lot).

Posted by: student ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:25PM

The hard liners (packer, bednar, kikuchi) do more damage to the morg than the sing-songy voiced empty headed suit types like monson.

Posted by: student ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:27PM

I just got the tiniest little chill from what is left of my cult programming.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 02:42PM

I work with a guy who looks like a younger version of Elder Butnar. He sang in the taberruncle choir and was a real a$$-hat. He was so stiff, so formal, so uptight, so self righteous. Actually I car pooled with him for a few years to work, so I knew him fairly well.

Gawd he was a tough person to love!

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 03:11PM

I think Bednar is a true believer and has had a diffucult time grappling with the truth that all of it is false.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 03:21PM

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to do what he did.

Lets say I say the opening prayer at a baptism. The event ends, and the kids are playing around, the adults are talking to each other, most likely about church stuff.

I (me, just little ole me) gets annoyed with the sound level that's building. I go back up to the microphone and announce that i'm taking back anything I said that may have been good and brought you some spiritual peace. I then proceed to tell them i'm doing this because they have annoyed me and made more noise than I wanted to tolerate.

The arrogance is truly mind blowing.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:10PM

...EASILY OFFENDED!

Men in church leadership positions get hurt egos when their authority is taken lightly.
Imagine the PATHETIC mindset of believing that people are supposed to respect your authority for its own sake.

Something offended him and he acted out of ego.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:22PM

If I was there I would have loved to just laugh out loud at this - a real bellow of a laugh as if this was the most hilarious thing ever witnessed. And then remark rather too loudly 'What a tool'.

Does that qualify for breaking the 'no loud laughter' covenant & 'evil speaking of the Lord's annointed' all in one go? Sure hope so.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:23PM

SEcularpriest wrote; "If they can do this why do they not give revelations on issues such as child poverty in the world, global warming, warnings to nations that oppress people, etc?"

Because if they did that, they would actually have to do something about child poverty in the world, global warming, warnings to nations that oppress people, and that would cost a ton of money, and then they wouldn't be able to build a 5 billion dollar mall in downtown SLC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 04:25PM by foundoubt.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:25PM

"By Mah Authoritay, I consult with Gawd and withdraw his blessing..." Pious jerks.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:35PM

Maybe someone should have told him to pull the stick out of his a$$.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:47PM

Two of the kids who were making the most commotion fell down the steps on their way out of the building and broke their legs.

-embellishment by Paul H. Dunn

Posted by: Opie's Ghost ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:50PM

n/t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.