Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 04:16PM

A lady on BBC says that being Mormon is like being Jewish...

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a34503766/ex_members_and_actives_too_i_have_a_question

"It's because being LDS is more than just the theology it's a culture and in many ways a different way of looking at the world. I compare it to being Jewish as both an ethnic group and a religion.

Although I'm no only a member of the LDS church I will always be a Mormon girl from Utah."

Huh???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 04:51PM

then they'd better decide whether they are gonna be the Utah Aryan Race or not. And if they are, then they need to get the hell out of all those South American and African nations...

Date: June 28, 2012 06:19PM

+1...

I hate it when Mormons compare themselves to Jews.

Date: June 28, 2012 06:25PM

how much Mormons like to pretend they are just like the Jews.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 08:14PM

I have found LDS acquaintances to be inordinately proud of those persons of Jewish heritage in their wards - confirming in their own minds their authenticity as a tribe of Israel.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 06:55PM

I've said it before, Mormons are the only Christians who think they're Jews.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 06:58PM

I think Mormonism is a cult, and that's why it is so ingrained into every part of their lives.

Posted by: hellrazor ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 07:25PM

I think comparing Mormons to Jews is insulting to the Jewish people.

Date: June 28, 2012 08:15PM

Me too. They are not like the Jews. They have not been persecuted like Jews have. It annoys me when they try to compare their experiences with the Holocaust. There is just no comparison whatsoever.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:50PM

Their religion is just as false, that is one comparison that holds.

Posted by: miami ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 10:49PM

Because they have been intermarrying for generations and created a distinct look from years of inbreeding

Date: June 29, 2012 11:29AM

it just makes them INBRED.

Posted by: xxMoo ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 08:07PM

To which group are you referring, the Jews or the Mormons? It could be argued that this is true for either one or both groups (and many other groups as well around the world.)

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 11:55PM

Okay, if Jews are bagels, then Mormons are Danish.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:10PM

I've often compared (BIC, or at least Mormon from Primary age on)ex-Mormons with nonpracticing secular Jews. We were both raised in a culture, not a religion. That culture invades every part of our lives, from how we dress to how we speak and, of course, think. Even when we dissassociate ourselves from that culture, it still informs/affects our daily lives.

All religiosity aside.

Posted by: Onmywayout . . . someday ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 06:09PM

Exactly. I'm not going to compare myself to a Jew, but I can't change the fact that I'm a BIC, 7th generation Mormon (on both sides) raised in rural Utah. That's the culture I was raised in and I don't think it's something converts or nevermos can really relate to.

What I can do is get out (someday) and stop perpetuating the myth.

Date: June 29, 2012 06:28PM

I totally get that Mormons have a culture, but I don't see how it remotely compares to Judaism.

Date: June 29, 2012 06:34PM

Do you know any secular Jews? I'm not comparing mormo culture to Jewish culture, can you see that?

Date: June 29, 2012 08:02PM

Yeah, I know some secular Jews. I get that there's a cultural thing going in both faiths. I still don't think the two faiths are comparable, though.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 06:56PM

Far more widespread, and far more recognizable.

Mormons are just a peculiar regional group. Culture? Maybe. Ethnicity? Definitely not.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 06:46PM

I agree about the ethnicity idea.

One major difference between Jews and Mormons is that Jews don't often have to give up their culture and family if they stop believing and being active in the religious rites. Jews can be Atheist, Orthodox, or anything between and they're still considered to be part of the Jewish community.

Mormons actively harass and manipulate those who stop doing mormon worship activities and they eventually shun them in hopes of forcing compliance and complete participation.

Date: June 29, 2012 07:04PM

Apparently you've never been a gentile with a Jewish mother-in-law. No gefilte fish for you young lady!

I have an ex-gf who had to convert to Judaism before the groom's parents would recognize the marriage. If that's not shunning, then I don't know what is.

(She really didn't care since she was really into social anthropology and an athiest. As she put it, "I don't believe in a Christian God, I may as well transfer that belief to a Jewish God. And their traditions are fascinating.")

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 08:07PM

All Mormons literally get their blood replaced at baptism, didn't you know???

"But if someone whose blood was wholly of Gentile lineage were converted, he would be adopted into the lineage of Abraham and Jacob and become the house of Israel. (Abraham 2:9-11.) That this action involves a literal change in the convert's blood was plainly taught by the Prophet [Joseph Smith] . . . "while the effect of the Holy Ghost upon a Gentile, is to purge out the old blood, and make him actually of the seed of Abraham. . . ." (Teachings, 149-150) (Mormon Doctrine, 390; emphasis added)

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 08:32PM

I would agree that Mormonism is a culture, but it is far from an ethnicity. Ethnicity requires blood lines that are unique from other blood lines. Mormonism accepts all blood lines into the religion. Judaism makes it much harder.

Mormonism is a culture, no doubt.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 09:15PM

I think that Mormons str probably closer to being an ethnic group now than they were thirty years ago, and they will probably get more ethnic over time.

That's because a higher proportion of Mormons will be BIC as converts become fewer and stay for shorter periods of time. If the definition of an ethnic group is one that members are far more likely to be born into than to join, then Mormons are coming closer and closer to being one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.