Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 05:21PM

I need to move to Provo. How do I find a place to live there that is affordable, yet not BYU approved? The internet is filled with rooms for rent, but they all talk about "great wards", "BYU standards", etc. I am single and can't afford really high rent. I don't need much space. A private room at one of the many BYU approved places would do just fine. However, it seems like these places want you to take an institute class before they will let you move in, and some of them discriminate against people over age 32.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 05:27PM

Look for stuff that's geared towards UVU. I don't know about age limitations, but UVU housing is where the folks who can't/won't abide by BYU standards go. There is some overlap, but you should be able to find something. UVU's campus or website might have listings.

Posted by: Tara the Pagan ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 09:20PM

There are plenty of duplexes and small apartment complexes in the area around the hospital, and most of them are not BYU-approved. The further west of University Avenue you get, the more liberal they are -- at least that's what I've heard.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 09:54PM

Very true. as a Provo Townie, I recommend the west side. South Orem might work too. Orem is where UVU actually is.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 10:04PM

What about in a 'burb, like PG or Springdale? The drive isn't too far in.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: June 28, 2012 10:54PM

Try Orem, but stay away from College Terrace--horrible managers when I was there.

Look for mostly houses with rooms for rent. They seem to be less discriminatory. My experience, anyways.

Posted by: indigo ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 01:26PM

If you are looking on craigslist, things like "laid-back," "easygoing," or "tolerant" in ads mean that they don't care if you aren't following BYU standards, at least in my experience.

Posted by: cfutahn ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 01:33PM

It is very difficult to find a place like this in Provo. I know because I am also looking right now! It is very annoying, I always wonder where all the "normal" people live. I found what I thought was a great place last year because they seemed so relaxed, but the main girl who lived there turned out to be a crazy druggie...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.