Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 10:44AM

KSL announced the 'Manti Pageant' this morning on my drive into work. I had to chuckle. The headliner was "Mormon Miracle Pageant - Peace and Family". Years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about this. I've seen the pageant a few times over the years. It's the biggest thing to hit the tiny town of Manti every year. For those of you that have seen the pageant you know what it is - it's a missionary tool par excellance and has little, if anything, to do with peace and family. Maybe they have changed it up a bit since I attended but all I remember is that they played out the whole Joseph Smith story and certain scenes from of the BofM including Christ's visit to the Maya.

One year at the pageant I remember hearing a faith promoting story about the Manti Temple. Apparently the Temple was besieged by the followers of Satan - in spirit of course. They couldn't get in the Temple but they surrounded it. I can't remember all the details but only the President of the Temple (or maybe it was one of the Prophets) could see the evil spirits and eventually cast them away. I'm sure I don't have all the details right - does anyone remember hearing this story?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:16AM

so many stupid people to sucker-punch.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:56AM

HAAAAAAA amen!

Posted by: hadenuf ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:51AM

I remember hearing the account of evil spirits at the temple but many years ago.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 12:50PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't seen the Manti pageant for years, but don't they make a claim that Moroni or Mormon or somebody stood on that exact hill and prophesied that a temple would be built there someday?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 07:27PM

Yeah, like he ever made it by foot from Machu Pichu to Manti. To believe that stuff you have to be awfully deficient in things like historical timelines, geography, and history in general.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 02:33PM

Have you ever heard of non mormons going to see it? I would think most Christians would find the whole JC in the Americas offensive or just plain silly.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:03PM

Wasn't that the temple where they had the 31 wives of Jossips Myth all standing outside the temple during a pageant or open house. Perhaps that story is a break off from that.

Posted by: Weeder ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:23PM

I know for a fact the story of the "apostate" temple workers of that same temple that were performing a few of their own rites in the Temple after hours.

They formed the Polygamous Sect of TLC (the True and Living Church) ... Jim Harmston.

Question: For those anywhere near Manti, is the TLC still going strong with their Temple/Storefront on Main street?

Date: June 29, 2012 07:32PM

They lost a biiiiigtime court case with Jim Harmston basically being found liable for stealing life savings from members and promising them a personal visitation with Jesus Christ. Needless to say, that didn't happen. He lost the court case, and while I think they still exist, they're seriously ruined financially now. The Manti folks would know better. I have kind of a weird past connection to a member of theirs, so I'm always interested in news that comes out of there...

Date: June 29, 2012 07:33PM

One of the BEST blowies I ever got in my life was at MMM. I think it's a great event for young adult illicit debauchery, in general.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 07:04PM

Outsiders view this type of pageant as evidence that Mormons are weird; like the Trekkies dressing up and speaking Klingon to each other at Trekkie conventions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.