Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 01:40PM

Twenty five years ago a sister married into Mormonism--against everything she had ever been taught--and I am not just talking our own religion, I am talking about education, equality, self worth, and well, love. Our family watched her descend into a hell of manipulation and inferiority.She chose sterilization( 12 pregnanacies in 15 years and only 6 live births)and her 'morally superior' (and financially bankrupt) husband chose to divorce her, she is free and yet not free. Her children are still LDS. My question is: what do you say that can possibly be supportive?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 01:51PM

Something along those lines is what I'd recommend. She's pretty much in hell right now and about the only thing that would make it "better" would be some unconditional love and support. (Which is what it sounds like you're looking to do. Kudos to you for being a loving sibling.)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 01:52PM

More important than being a mormon or whatever, is that she is your sister. I suspect that if you ask what you can do, and show that you will do it, she will have what she needs. Support from loving family.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 02:06PM

Support is not about the circumstances or personal judgments. #1 is to knockoff the criticism, and blame, and shouldas.

It's about care, help, personal time to listen, go places, etc.
Just be there for her whatever has happened to her.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 02:23PM

Wow. Less than an hour and I feel like there is hope. Thank you. I really mean that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.