Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 07:41PM

This is from a blog: feistytimes.com
"Not your usual Utah soccer Mom"

Toy Cars and Dead Bird Soup

No coffee – Day 3
Hell – pure hell. I rolled out of bed this morning literally saying, “F**k, f**k, f**k!” Sick kid, so tired, not gonna make it to class. Knowing my sadistic Math Professor I’ve probably missed a quiz. I think it’s a prerequisite to being a Math Professor that one has to enjoy a certain amount of sadism.

In lieu of coffee I opted to try brewing some loose leaf Irish Breakfast tea in my Coffee Press. It turned out to be incredibly overpowering and way too strong, even for my tastes (and this coming from a woman who prefers robust red wines, dark coffee and even darker beer). Or it could be that Irish tea is meant to be strong, like their coffee and their beer. Even so, I decided to forgo my sugar restrictions and add some honey. I ended up getting into a bit of a fight with the tenacious honey bottle and apparently squeezed a tad too hard thus sending the honey cap flying right into my tea cup along with several tablespoons of honey. Oops. I added some milk. And I plugged my nose and drank the stuff down. Where’s my shiny gold star?

In light of everyone fighting colds this week I made a batch of homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner. And my Dad was right, it did take about 3 hours to make, not the 90 minutes I’d hoped for. In the mean time my son kept asking me when the chicken would be done. I finally got frustrated with the constant pestering so I snapped and said the damn bird was not dead enough yet! Which of course horrified him but sent my girls into fits of hysterical laughter. There is a little story behind “Dead Bird Dinner”.

My first Thanksgiving home from College I was bored and feeling a bit awkward in my mother’s new husband’s apartment so I started making jokes about waiting to have Dead Bird for dinner! Apparently it started an uprising in my family. It pissed off who would eventually become my ex-Stepdad and made for a yearly traditional joke among my brothers. Happy to be of service Mother dear!

While I was making dinner, my budding mad Scientist little girl amused herself by making interesting “experiments” with toothpaste, tomato soup, and my left over nasty Irish tea. Later as we were serving dinner my husband asked why there were toy cars floating in the chicken soup. My son emphatically denied any such involvement on his part. In fact he was quite annoyed to find his cars in the soup! Eventually our future Scientist fessed up. “But I was just making an experiment!” Yes, she will go far in life, but in the interim, I will be keeping a watchful eye on my soup pot!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 08:19PM

I resent that math professor comment lol

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 10:47PM

I really enjoyed reading your piece, Observer. Very colorful and lively.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 12:39PM

The real post is at feistytimes.com

and she's an ex mormon! "Not your usual Utah soccer Mom"

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 03:24PM

Charming story! Reminds me of my granddaughter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.