Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 10:51AM

I would probably pay off my car, clear my debts, and replace some of my junkier furniture with newer stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 10:53AM

I'll buy myself two houses in cash. I'll live in one and rent out the other.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 10:54AM

I'd buy myself dinner or maybe go to Kinkos and have an ex-mormon sign made formy front yard lol. Since I stopped paying as a teen, my refund would not be that big.

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 10:56AM

I would get caught up on all my debts and probably be debt free. Plus I would have a sizable down payment for a home.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 11:07AM

Pay off the house!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 11:08AM

Yep, pay off debts. How many people wouldn't be in so much debt if they weren't dedicating 10% of their gross income to TSCC?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 11:19AM

It's funny how TSCC was always crying for the members to pay off their debts, then turning around and telling them to give up 10 percent of their income first.

Also, the fact that members had outstanding debts, while paying tithing, proves that tithing does not give you financial blessings.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 11:22AM

$50 was all I ever paid in tithing. My TBM father owned a rental 4-plex, and as a young teenager I did maintenenance duties, such as mowing lawn, watering, shoveling snow, taking care of the garbage. He paid me a reasonable amount for that work and I ended up paying $50 in tithing. When I got my own "real" jobs I never paid a nickel in tithing.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 11:29AM

I would start a non-profit fund to aid the young gay kids caught in the dehumanizing void of the church. And any other youth as well who ever may have felt the despair I did.

Tithing Made Good. Like laundered money, it would finally be praiseworthy and of good report. Finally used to sooth the wounds made by those who judged us to be immoral and not worthy of love even while we were still wet behind the ears.

Posted by: Stuck ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 05:18PM

Go get a facial and pedicure! Thankfully I stoppedpaying when I was 20 and before that I only paid when I felt pressured by my parents.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 11:30AM

Pay off the mortgage and invest the rest

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 11:38AM

Build a call center and start a big Exmormon Relief Center where all the resources would be available to help people get back their own lives and good mental health.

Actually help families who are exploited by Big Mo.

In Utah, of course.

Preferably blocking the view from the new MTC.

Anagrammy

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 06:18PM

I forgot - some of us would like to start a scholarship program for non-believing young people who are still dependent on parents. The specter of living as a Mormon in order to be educated is just so nightmarish.

I would certainly support that.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 12:40PM

I would like to say that I'd give it all to one or more REAL CHARITIES.

You know, groups that REALLY HELPED PEOPLE -- like the Salvation Army, or my local food bank, or the local Senior Center, or the local Meals on Wheels (that delivers meals and checks up on seniors isolated from society by age and infirmity), St. Jude Children's Cancer Research Hospital, or other such groups.

And I'm sure that I would donate at least some of that refund to such groups.

But I'm only human.

If I suddenly got that mountain of money refunded to me, I am sure I'd spend at least some of that money on my husband and myself.

I think I'd put some of it into an IRA for each of us.

And I'd probably buy a new car. I haven't owned a brand new car in over 20 years (I'm one of those folks who buys a two or three year used car in really good shape, and then keeps it until the day before it dies).

I'd give some of it to my son, too. He is grown now, and makes good money, but I'd just want to give him some anyway.

BTW, that would be a HUGE pile of cash, since I've paid tithing for almost 40 years.

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 12:57PM

I'd be lucky if I could get a cup of coffee. Haaaa. Suckers. :) jk....I feel your pain anyway.

Posted by: cfutahn ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 02:16PM

Buy a bed! (I currently sleep on an air mattress). But I don't know I would get enough tithing money for a bed. Maybe just the mattress, forget about the frame and box springs! I have no idea how much I've paid in tithing, but I'm sure not much.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 05:44PM

If you lived close to me (western washington) I have a bed I would give you.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 05:48PM

I would pay off debt, and buy a car.

I would take 10% of it and give it to a real charity.

I would then send a copy of my donation to the mormon church so they can see what a real charity receipt looks like.

Posted by: cfutahn ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 12:49AM

Darn. Thanks! :)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 02:18PM

Posted by: the one and only ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 03:11PM

Give it all to reecesrainbow.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2012 06:57PM by theoneandonly.

Posted by: Sister_Twister ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 04:20PM

I plan on getting it back so this is not a pipe dream.

I envision a Class Action lawsuit in the near future and my name at the top of this list.

I see it, feel it, taste it and have already spent it -- darn.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 05:30PM

Great question. I left TSCC when I was around 14. So I never paid alot of tithing. Maybe a thousand. I would take my family on a vacation. I would be really mad had I stayed and contributed more

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 05:34PM

I envy those who only paid $50, anybody who paid $100 or less, kudos to you.

Those who can buy two homes, just make me feel it could have been worse for me. =)

Let's see, first I'd pinch myself. Then I'd get a car I have my eye on, then I'd get some needed enhancements to my home, save some or put it toward mortgage, spend some.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 05:39PM

I didn't pay a whole lot, I quit contributing after I left high school, but did pay on an almost full time job for 4 years during HS.

That was 35 years ago, so if we got compound interest, I'd buy a car, remodel the house, and take a nice trip somewhere exotic.

If no interest maybe I'd buy new living room curtains. :-)

Posted by: lostbagle ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 06:25PM

I would pay my husbands 30,000 dollar student loans OFF!!!!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 09:32PM

Not sure if it would be enough to buy a candy bar. This old refusenik goes way back.

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 10:56PM

I can't ever recall paying tithing any time in my life..I did get a statement from the ward though that I had paid 1.25 in tithing last year..I can't even figure out why or how that happened..

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 11:12PM

Being as how I never paid them anything, I'd have to use a fantasy pick and use it to pay off some debts...

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 12:40AM

i'd spend some on strippers maybe --initial reaction to celebrate.

then i'd probably buy me a ducati.

then i'd probably go around the world on my private yacht and retire to my caribbean island and party with my friends in my mansion until the day the sweet lord jesus comes back.

why do you ask?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 12:42AM

I got out before I had a real job so I only paid tithing on baby sitting money. I could probably buy a nice dinner with it. Maybe I'd have enough to treat a couple of friends.

Posted by: Brian-the-Christus ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 12:47AM

I'd use it to pay for the hospital bills to treat the coronary I'd have.

Posted by: forestpal ( )

I would give it to my children, as part of an on-going apology to them for forcing them into a CULT. I'm so sorry!

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )

I'm better off dreaming about getting a refund for all the hookers and blow.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.