Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 12:13PM

American History books that include details about the struggle for gay civil rights. That's right folks, textbooks that would teach about gays.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-gay,0,4402497.story

Still a long way to go, but it is a start. This is important because textbooks used by California schools get used in many other school districts out side of California.

I can just imagine the reaction to the LDS faithful in Utah and TSCC if textbooks included detains about the Stonewall riots, Harvey Milk, the White Nights riots, ACT UP, etc..

I can't help but wonder if having such text books would have made it so I would not have had the horrible time coming.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 12:25PM

Who will still be anti-gay ten years from now?

Posted by: Kristen ( )
Date: December 14, 2010 03:21PM

I remember my (SL County) junior high American History class textbook actually had a very small section about the gay rights movement. My teacher even spent a bit of class talking about it, but the focus was on the AIDS crisis rather than actual gay rights. If I remember right, a little blurb about Matthew Shepard was in the book, but we didn't talk about him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.