Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 07:53PM

I'm trying to create a short and sweet list of what's wrong with the church. I want it very short and to the point so that TBMs could see the most damning facts with just a quick glance. If there is already such a list please direct me to it.

I feel like if some were given the chance to know the facts they might be able to break free. Some just don't know. I am failing miserably at making this list. It's not as concise as I would like and it's worded terribly. But it's a start. Adding to it or critiquing it are more than welcome!
----------------------------------------

All facts below are well documented and it only takes a few minutes of study to verify. 

1. Joseph Smith married around 30 women. Some as young as 14 and some were already married women (polyandry). --enter Joseph Smith's name at familyorg.com--
2. The first 7 prophets, as well as apostles, practiced polygamy and married girls as young as 13.--found in many church documents including biographies of these prophets--
3.  Brigham Young stated that blacks could only be servants in heaven, would never receive the priesthood until all of mankind had and that the punishment for interracial sexual relations is death on the spot and this would always be so. Also, that everything he says is scripture.
--Journal of Discourses--
4. The papyrus that Joseph Smith used to translate the Book of Abraham has been proven to be an Egyptian funerary texts and has absolutely nothing to do with Abraham. 
5. The book of Mormon is inaccurate  anthropologically, historically, and linguistically.--read anything about history, anthropology or linguistics--
6. Native Americans are not lamanites. There is no Hebrew DNA found, only Asian.--many studies done, quick google search will confirm--

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 08:19PM

Waddayamean failing miserably? This is superb!

Since you ask for critique, here's some minor stuff..

In #2, "as well as apostles" is true but awkward - I'd omit it.
After "as young as 13", I'd add "and long after 1890".

After #3, you have "--Journal of Discourses--" left-justified so it looks like a sub-heading. You want to move it up so it appears right after "says is scripture."

#4 - "texts" should be "text".

#5 - "inaccurate" is too soft a word - I would replace it with "wholly fraudulent".

#6 - I would capitalize Lamanites and maybe Google.

Good job!!

Date: July 13, 2012 08:36PM

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 08:38PM

I think it is family search.org?

Date: July 13, 2012 10:28PM

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 03:35AM

I don't know much about nuttin', but I know funny, and "stupidism" is frackin' funny.

Date: July 14, 2012 04:38PM

It was the best word I could come up with to describe Mormonism. Haha.

Also I can't remember if I told you already that your name is awesome.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 06:42PM

You did, and thank you.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:28PM

Dehlin's work:
http://whymormonsleave.com/

"Top 10 Mormon Problems" by MoreTruthFoundation.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ac_fLUHiBw

Date: July 14, 2012 03:38PM

Excellent idea. I'll type up what's in the video.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:45PM

almost all of Joseph Smith's prophecies failed to come to pass, and the ones that did have to be significantly twisted.

My favorite is D&C Section 111. It gives a pretty clear prophecy which includes the words "it's wealth pertaining to gold and silver shall be yours," and yet the section heading details exactly how this prophecy completely failed with the words "When it became apparent that no money was to be forthcoming, they returned to Kirtland."

It just makes me lol.

Feel free to Google "failed prophecies of Joseph Smith."

Date: July 14, 2012 03:39PM

This IS a very important fact. As a TBM I didn't realize that Smith made prophecies that didn't come to pass. lol

I'll definitely add this.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 04:28PM

I'd like to print that on 3x5 cards and put them on the windshields of all the cars at stake conference.

wouldn't that be fun?

Date: July 14, 2012 04:40PM

I honestly feel that all members deserve to know the facts so that they can make an educated decision.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 06:58PM

Latter Day Stupidism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.