Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 09:51PM

"I would watch the show and imagine what it would be like for them to be in a Mormon bishop’s home, which is probably considered the heart of enemy territory by some in the gay community since Proposition 8. There was something about the spirit of these men that seemed to break barriers of orientation, politics, and even religion. Perhaps like every other fan, I considered them to be more familiar than reality would dictate. Then something that Carson said in his cheeky manner struck me like a thunderbolt. He said: 'We are very pro traditional marriage.' Those words echoed in my mind for months and months. It seemed to disrupt and challenge a deeply held belief that the traditional family was under attack by a so called 'gay agenda.'

"That belief was dismantled at that moment and I realized that these good men had no desire to hurt me, my marriage, or my family. On the contrary, if they were in my home, I could only see them supporting me, my traditional marriage, and my family."

(The link below is invalid because of a banned word--if you would like to read the entire story, copy and paste the link and change the *** to uee .)

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2012/07/13/former-mormon-bishop-says-q***r-eye-changed-his-mind-lgbt-equality

Mormons--and many others--can be SO paranoid about what they perceive as threats to traditional marriage. Have you ever gotten a "straight" answer from anyone who opposes marriage equality as to HOW allowing gays to marry would damage or endanger traditional, heterosexual marriage? (Now POLYGAMY--there's a REAL threat to traditional marriage!)

But, good for that show! And congratulations to this gentleman for being open-minded and mature enough to make a positive change in the way he perceives others--despite the pressure from the Mormon church to conform!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 09:53PM

"That belief was dismantled at that moment and I realized that these good men had no desire to hurt me, my marriage, or my family. On the contrary, if they were in my home, I could only see them supporting me, my traditional marriage, and my family."

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 09:58PM

I think it's funny that people say they support "traditional marraige" as opposed to monogomous, heterosexual marraige.

These people need to watch Fiddler on The Roof...

Date: July 14, 2012 02:58AM

The term "traditional" is pretty funny. It seems that when people use it they often do so in an attempt to justify their own prejudices and entrenched values. And as you allude to, "traditional" for one person or group is very different than for another.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:07AM

...it's harder to be anti-gay when you know gay people. I guess that still applies when you only know them from TV.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:20AM

I love Carson and I loved that show. I remember when he said that. I didn't make a direct connection, but his statement may have been pivotal in me changing my mind as well (although I have gay friends, gay marriage remained a sticking point for me for a long time.)

I changed my mind when I realized that gays in fact want traditional values -- a house, a husband or wife, and perhaps kids. Such traditional values are the bedrock of a stable society.

After that, the idea of gay marriage didn't seem so threatening to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 09:21AM by summer.

Date: July 15, 2012 12:37PM

The obvious, elementary-school concept that "gays are people too" and just want what everyone else gets to have, is finally starting to sink in with our society. Mormonism will have to embrace the idea soon, or fade further and further into irrelevance.

Your acceptance of this, along with mine and the former Mormon bishop's, is evidence that the walls are tumbling down. : )

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 01:00PM

Fetal Deity wrote:
> Have you ever gotten a "straight"
> answer from anyone who opposes marriage equality
> as to HOW allowing gays to marry would damage or
> endanger traditional, heterosexual marriage? (Now
> POLYGAMY--there's a REAL threat to traditional
> marriage!)

Nope. It's the same bullshit slippery slope arguments.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.