Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 11:40PM

I believe that the church wants the non-mo world to believe that members' TITHING money is what pays for charitable work within the church.

Am I wrong, or isn't it true that FAST OFFERINGS are what are actually designated to be used to help out members who need financial help? (not that we were helped when we had a financial crisis)

Isn't it true that TITHING is supposed to be used to build temples and spread the kingdom of God (Mormon kingdom of course)

I'd really appreciate some feedback...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 12:05AM by thinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 11:44PM

Kind of hard to determine since LDS Inc is simply a black hole when it comes to finances and the contributions hardworking membership gives it.

The new tithing slips make that very clear. The money becomes the property of LDS Inc, and you peasants have NO right to question how the brethren determine to use it.

With that being said....123 Lets go shopping!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 11:49PM

Have a clear conscience that you're not contributing to the fraud of the MORG and pay neither....

Posted by: jah ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 11:54PM

Tithing goes to LDS Inc headquarters in SLC and is then budgeted to the Stakes who budget to their wards and brances. Fast Offerings actually stay within the ward/branch for their own use as they see fit.

Or, this is at least how it used to work.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:09AM

Yes, this is accurate.

If a ward has extra fast offerings it goes to the stake. The stake can use the extra fast offerings to redistribute among wards in the stake. Extra fast offerings are sent to the church and used for humanitarian aid.

Essentially once a bishop uses up his fast offerings, that's all he can do - unless he can get a little extra from the stake.

Wards get a budget back from the church office based on the number of people attending sacrament meeting every 3rd month in the quarter - Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct, I believe. Basically the bishop $2 to spend in his ward for each time someone attends sacrament meeting in one of those months. This money comes from tithing funds, but obviously is a very small percentage.

The young women's & young men's organizations in each ward are also allowed to have one fundraiser each year. However, the young men often have two because they don't count the flags on holidays thing as a fundraiser for some reason.

In addition the church works with the boy scouts to aggressively collect for friends of scouting once a year.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:15AM

There should be no need for Fast Offerings, that's just an additional way invented by the morg to fleece the flock.

Regular churches manage quite well on freewill offerings only, period.
Out of this they pay the minister and others who work for their church PLUS they usually donate to the poor.

Mormonism is a huge rip off.

Posted by: notamo ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:20AM

I know for a fact that the Ward my husband's LDS ex-wife belongs to paid $11,000 (yes, that's right, $11k) for half of her portion of a custody evaluation. The LDS judge gave her custody of their son (back) after it was taken from her because she was abusing him by making false allegations of child abuse. The custody evaluator gave everyone psych tests to see who would be the better parent and while he, the child's lawyer and two other experts said she was not the right parent to raise the child, the LDS judge gave the child back to her. THAT'S where the tithing and other money goes.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:02PM

Ewwwwwwww...............

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.