Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:30AM

Ever notice how some of terms in mormonism seem to be biblical sounding, or quasi-biblical, but the meanings have nothing to do with the originals?

Take the word "tabernacle" for example. A mormon tabernacle is nothing like the tabernacle described in the hebrew bible. It originally referred to something like a temple where animal sacrifices were performed. It is the ancient Israelite equivalent of a McTemple. The mormon tabernacle on the other hand is just a type of meeting house.

I think they like to throw terms around like that because they sound authoritative.

Another term is "high priest." In Hebrew bible gives a fairly specific definition of what a high priest is and does. The mormon version is completely divorced from this original meaning, but again, its usage lends an authoritative sound to the new office. In reality, the two seem connected in name only.

Can you think of any examples?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 09:32AM by archytas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:39AM

Love.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:27AM

Boy is that the truth.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:41AM

Translate

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:43AM

Amen.
Proper use: So be it.
LDS additional use: The end.

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:44AM

Atonement

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:16AM

Horse

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:19AM

Hehehe that's funny.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:18AM

Ignorant.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:23AM

The biggest one to me is "know."

Edit: I wanted to say more, but my keyboard quit on me.

Anyway, I was going to say that you get into a conversation with them, where you'll say, "You don't know. You believe."

"No! I know!"

Annoying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 10:26AM by Greyfort.

Posted by: marcsphenctor ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:39AM

bigot

Date: July 14, 2012 10:48AM

I forgot to mention the happiness/joy distinction.

I sunday school lessons where they drilled into us the idea that happiness meant something fleeting while joy meant something permanent. I don't think this distinction exists in common usage. Again, I think it's something they made up.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:50AM

Priest priesthood Elder Bishop Prophet seer revelator

Posted by: politicaljunkie ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:28PM

Calling a 19 year old "elder" is pretty absurd.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:25PM

"So-called"---pisses me off any time I see or hear a church leader using it. I don't care if they use it correctly or not. The pomposity behind it drives me crazy.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:29PM

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:33PM

Date: July 14, 2012 12:43PM

I cringe every time I hear that one!

Posted by: Diane ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:40PM

morality.
modesty.
worthy.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:44PM

Like Joe Smith on his latest teen age bride. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvv4zHiuz48

LDS *apostles* a sacred biblical title given to corrupt LDS INC business execs, who would not recognize Christ if He was whipping them out of their office for their corruption. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBvh-ijsoAU

LDS *Prophets*, prophets who have NEVER had a prophecy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncZBWcIPL8

*Prophet,Seer,and Revelator"
see *prophet*

LDS *polygamy*, really ADULTERY as Joe Smith started the practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqG5skfZcrE

MORmON *temple*
the OT temple came from the biblical OT tent tabernacle, that was to house the ark of the covenant of which there was ONLY ONE symbolizing ONE GOD among other such exclusivities.
temple ordinances were to help prepare for the coming of the messiah, since traditional Xtianity believes that NT Jesus met this requirement they dont build temples.
DUMB BELL MORmONS want to dot the earth with their temples, which are really an architectural testimony that they don't accept the New testament Christ, dont understand what a biblical temple is. Then there is the masonic derived MORmON temple ceremony which just emphasizes the point that MORmONS dont get it, when it comes to the bible, even as MORmONS preach that MORmONS have the higher understanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gr1keBlXkY

*internet* something that MORmON God created to help spread the MORmON gospel (that seriously back fired)

*Service* endless harrassment of the public for the sake of promoting MORmONISM and MORmON proselytizing.

*Tithing* MORmON code word for LDS Inc's chief way to steal members money. biblical tithing was to be paid on increase, NOT on subsistence.

*everlasting* good for about 50 to 150 years as used in conjunction with the MORmON "new and everlasting covenant" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6mtf1_-rx4

*nothing whatever* = deep foundational connections, as used by Gordon BS Hinclkey.

*Mistake* as used by TBMS, something a person does when they really begin to understand MORmON doctrine, which means its becoming clear to them that MORmONISM is CRAP based on LIES.

*Happiness* adherence to MORmON standards, no matter how destructive and Hellish.

*Elder* title given to young snot nosed male MORmON missionaries.

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:45PM

When my convert friend starting using those words the lds way I had no idea what she was talking about!

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 12:47PM

Truth

Soul

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )

Truth

Posted by: Greyfort ( )

LOL How many of us thought they were saying "steak center," wondering why they ate so many steaks?

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:14PM

Haha I always thought it was "stake center," like, put a stake through the heart of those disobedient apostates...

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:00PM

The difference and number of biblical words and Christian doctrines that are redefined in Mormon theology consists of the majority of what Mormon theology represents. The terms and names used in Mormon theology are numerous and are not only different but in the majority of cases are opposite to their Orthodox Christian counterparts and are the basis of the reasons given why Mormons are not considered to be Christians. The following is a list, but it is certainly not comprehensive:

Aaronic Priesthood
Adam
Ancient of Days
Angel
Apostle
Atonement
Baptism
Bishop
Blood Atonement
Born Again
Cain
Church
Creation
Damnation
Deacon
Devil-Satan-Lucifer
Elder
Elohim
Eternal Life
Fall
Forgiveness
Gabriel
Garden of Eden
Gentile
God
Godhead
Gospel
Grace
Ham
Heaven
Hell
Holy Ghost
Holy Spirit
Immortality
Jehovah
Jesus Christ
Kingdom of God
Marriage
Melchizedek Priesthood
Michael
Noah
Patriarch
Priesthood
Prophet
Redemption
Salvation
Scripture
Sons of God
Sons of Perdition
Teacher
Temple
Trinity
Virgin Birth

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:00PM

Haha... I like the use of the word "even"

As in, Heavenly Father's son, *even* Jesus Christ.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:13PM

Reverence. To Mormons it means "shut up and be quiet" rather than revere and hold sacred.

Posted by: i'mtheQ ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:28PM

Fireside.

When I was a kid, I assumed that firesides involved sitting around a campfire in the woods toasting marshmallows and eating s'mores. So I couldn't understand why my older sister always complained about having to go to them. As I got older and found out what firesides really are, I started to complain about them also.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:31PM

Good one! I thought the same thing when I was a kid. So disappointing it was just another boring meeting at church.

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:36PM

Active. One night some 45 years ago when I was a new bride, my husband solemnly stated he hoped we would always stay active. I suppressed a naughty giggle..

Posted by: i'mtheQ ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:44PM

Inactive.

Always made me think of volcanoes.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:40PM

Jack

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:43PM

I despise the way they use the word 'Youth'

I always think of Hitlers "youth" group.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 01:47PM

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 02:03PM

I'm sorry,archytas, I see on rereading your question that you were asking for biblical terms.

I think, though, that some everyday language has also been redefined by mormons.

This is not surprising in that language shifts are generated by isolationism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.