Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 08:09PM

For Ex-mos, please answer this question for the ward you WOULD belong to, if you were still in TSCC.

How many congregations share your building on Sunday?

And please offer at least a general idea of where you are located (Morridor, out West somewhere, in the Eastern US, etc). Also include whether you are rural or urban, because in many rural areas, there might be just one congregation in a building for no other reason than the fact that there just isn't another congregation anywhere around to use the building.

What I'm trying to assess is whether wards in Happy Valley get a disproportionate amount of the money available to build churches for congregations.

I'll start off.

I live in the Southeast part of the US, and we have THREE DIFFERENT CONGREGATIONS using one church building each week. I attend church in an urban area.

We are stumbling all over ourselves, there are so many of us crammed in that building at one time. I'm surprised the Fire Marshall's office hasn't come down on what is happening there.

We'll have one ward in the chapel while another ward is in the classrooms, and the third ward is driving into the parking lot getting ready for their time in the chapel.

It is really that bad.

What about you folks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 08:10PM

There are four in ours. I live in Utah.
Correction there was four for a year then they rearranged and are to three again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 08:20PM by fidget.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 08:19PM

There were 3 in my building in Orem back in the late 90's when I stopped attending. I hated the late block that started about 2 p.m.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 08:27PM

3 here, and 3 in all the surrounding. TN

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 08:34PM

We are doing everything we can to empty them.

Mitt will probably thin down the number of people with the attention the media will be focusing, and I doubt most of the stuff they print or braodcast will be 'conference approved' by LDS inc.

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:38PM

In Arizona it seems like 3 wards always shared a building. Lately it seems like it is down to two.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:57PM

One, in an urban downtown Episcopal parish. THe parish has four services: one on Saturday evening, three on Sunday morning, and members are free to attend whichever time they prefer. It is not a case of four distinct congregations sharing one building.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:07PM

Southern ExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For Ex-mos, please answer this question for the
> ward you WOULD belong to, if you were still in
> TSCC.
>
>
> How many congregations share your building on
> Sunday?
>
>
> And please offer at least a general idea of where
> you are located (Morridor, out West somewhere, in
> the Eastern US, etc). Also include whether you
> are rural or urban, because in many rural areas,
> there might be just one congregation in a building
> for no other reason than the fact that there just
> isn't another congregation anywhere around to use
> the building.
>
>
>
> What I'm trying to assess is whether wards in
> Happy Valley get a disproportionate amount of the
> money available to build churches for
> congregations.
>
>
>
> I'll start off.
>
>
> I live in the Southeast part of the US, and we
> have THREE DIFFERENT CONGREGATIONS using one
> church building each week. I attend church in an
> urban area.
>
>
> We are stumbling all over ourselves, there are so
> many of us crammed in that building at one time.
> I'm surprised the Fire Marshall's office hasn't
> come down on what is happening there.
>
>
> We'll have one ward in the chapel while another
> ward is in the classrooms, and the third ward is
> driving into the parking lot getting ready for
> their time in the chapel.
>
>
> It is really that bad.
>
>
> What about you folks?

I wish there are -0- wards in each building.

In Fact, I wish there weren't Any Wards or any buildings

I wish all church members would Catch On to ChurchCo lies, stop being a MoneyPit / Deep Pockets for them.

Posted by: Tara the Pagan ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:15PM

I quit attending several years ago (other than sporadic guest appearances for family events), but it seems pretty consistent that there are 3 wards using each building. I live in Happy Valley.

They are building big new chapels like crazy, though. Some are literally next door or right across the street from each other. They're also tearing down some beautiful, historic meetinghouses to build big shiny new McChapels. Ugh.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:41PM

western Wa. 2 wards. The stake pres. is doing everything he can to run people off. Doing a mighty fine job of it. The wards keep shrinking.

Down the road 50 miles I went to another ward that had 2 wards to the building.

Both were rural.

In Ohio It was 1 ward to the building. Because that's all the people there were. We lived 30 miles from the building. Some people lived about 60 miles out.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:47PM

I'm in Seattle and there are 2 wards in one stake center and 3 in the other. There were 3 wards and an "international" branch for all asians to attend (because that solves the cultural and language barrier right?), but they made them start going to their normal ward so they all went inactive... Oh! and that branch was run by a red headed buttmunch from Utah

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:49PM

I'm close to BYUI, a rural area, and we have three. Two family wards and a YSA ward. Our stake center also has three, two family wards and a spanish branch, though I've heard they're dismantling that.

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 11:44PM

Southern ExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For Ex-mos, please answer this question for the
> ward you WOULD belong to, if you were still in
> TSCC.
>
>
> How many congregations share your building on
> Sunday?
>
3 Wards use the same building.
>
> And please offer at least a general idea of where
> you are located (Morridor, out West somewhere, in
> the Eastern US, etc). Also include whether you
> are rural or urban, because in many rural areas,
> there might be just one congregation in a building
> for no other reason than the fact that there just
> isn't another congregation anywhere around to use
> the building.

Indiana North Stake/Fishers 2nd Ward Sub of Indianapolis, Indiana about 20miles NE of Downtown.
>
>
>
> What I'm trying to assess is whether wards in
> Happy Valley get a disproportionate amount of the
> money available to build churches for
> congregations.
>
>
>
> I'll start off.
>
>
> I live in the Southeast part of the US, and we
> have THREE DIFFERENT CONGREGATIONS using one
> church building each week. I attend church in an
> urban area.
>
>
> We are stumbling all over ourselves, there are so
> many of us crammed in that building at one time.
> I'm surprised the Fire Marshall's office hasn't
> come down on what is happening there.
>
>
> We'll have one ward in the chapel while another
> ward is in the classrooms, and the third ward is
> driving into the parking lot getting ready for
> their time in the chapel.
>
>
> It is really that bad.
>
>
> What about you folks?

Posted by: packerroo ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 12:00AM

1 ward north central Idaho. Ward geographic area bigger than alot of eastern states mostly wilderness

Posted by: GoneNative ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 12:07AM

I live in a heavily Hispanic urban neighbourhood with three wards, two Spanish, one English. I'm not sure how big our boundaries are, tho. I'm not sure how many other meeting houses are in our county, we may be the only one.

Posted by: Docia ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 06:08AM

There used to be two, but attendance dropped and they consolidated wards. Now there is only one ward meeting in the building.

Southern California, Los Angeles, Urban.

Posted by: georgiar51 ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 08:13AM

I'm not sure since I've only been there once in 22 years! Maybe 2? I'm in southeastern PA, in a suburb of Philly. Not many mormons around here (NICE!).

Posted by: sistermargarita ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 08:35AM

I live in NE Ohio and I have absolutely no idea how many wards meet in the building. Isn't that wonderful?

Posted by: georgiar51 ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 08:55AM

HAHA! Yes, it IS a wonderful thing!

Posted by: jeff ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 09:05AM

Southern cal urban

We used to have three in all buildings. Over the years we consolidated two stakes, sold a building and there are still only two per building.

Major shrinkage.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 09:30AM

3 seems to be rather common for Georgia.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 09:40AM

Mid-Atlantic, suburban area -- 3 family wards in one building.

I remember driving around the Sandy/South Jordan area in Utah and being amazed at how many wardhouses there are. It seemed like one every few blocks -- many families could definitely walk to church if they wanted to. The lack of other denominations was noticeable as well (I'm sure that other churches are tucked away somewhere; I just didn't see them.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 10:26AM by summer.

Posted by: butterfly ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 10:09AM

I'm in CO and prior to moving to my current neighborhood, the stake I was in generally had 2 per building, except the building that held the Spanish speaking ward, then it was just the one.

Most places I've lived (all in CO) have had 2 wards per building, there have been a couple of times there were three meeting in one building, but redrawing of boundaries took care of that. (Shrinking wards caused the need for new boundaries to make the wards look better).

Currently, I think there are three meeting in the building we would be going to, if we attended. I don't see that changing unless there is a new building built. The chapel area is so small, there is almost no way to fit a congregation in there without using the overflow.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 10:18AM

There are barely enough Mormons in my current area to keep one ward in the building. Distance keeps them from stacking them up. This is in the Florida Panhandle.

In some of the larger southern communities they have two wards in some of the larger buildings. However these are usually in densely populated areas that cover wide territory.

Posted by: Monsoon ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 10:53AM

Currently 5 in my tx building. They're building a new building however which should be complete soon. Then it will just be three. 2 family and 1 singles.

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 11:15AM

Here in the middle of the Morridor, Murray, Utah, there is only 2 wards in the building I would be going to. I think it is due to shrinking congregations as the norm along the wasatch front is three per building (every other ward I was in this was the case).

Posted by: Chi ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 11:15AM

No idea in the one that I'd attened now if I were a memeber, I'm almost certian that it's one.

But the last one I attended was just one. And that was because there were too few mormons in the area to make up another congregation. How wonderful is that!? That was in central Arkansas for reference. (Arkansas has a super small momron population, there isn't even temple here! Members have to go to either Memphis TN or to Oklahoma City if I remember right. Things that used to bug me when I cared...)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.