Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 03:52AM

He is a key reason I left the church.

Not just him individually. I wouldn't have left the church because of one man. He really got me to study what church leaders have said both past and present. His October 2010 talk really disgusted me. At the time I wasn't that active, but still a member that would've told you I believed had you met me on the street. After that talk, I started to read other talks from JS to the present day. Truly there is nothing more "anti-mormon" than reading what so called men of God have said for the last 182 years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schmowned ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 04:02AM

But think how fun it would be if he ever became prophet. I think he's next in line. We could just sit back and watch the train wreck unfold...

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 04:53AM

Funny. Same speech.

I figured out that the mormon church was a pack of lies in 1999/2000 and decided that there was no reason to "resign" from the mormon church any more than I need to "resign" from Safeway.

Then I was reading on RFM about his speech in October 2010. I opened a new window, pulled up the video and watched. When he made his grimmace (IIRC, "why would he [god] do that?"), I calmly stopped the video, minimized the screen, opened a Word doc and typed out my resignation letter.

The mormon church still will count me in their 14m number, but I had to tell SOMEBODY that I couldn't in good conscience allow myself to be included in this group for another minute. And I said so in my letter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 04:54AM by Levi.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 11:14AM

If you mean the one about "cleaning the inner vessel"?

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/cleansing-the-inner-vessel?lang=eng

Posted by: GoneNative ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 04:15PM

It may just be that ive been having one hell of a month and am completely out of it, but I really did not get that talk. Seriously, wtf is he talking about?

Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 08:00AM

Actually, I think a lot of us would know *exactly* what we'd like to give Mr. Packer.

The blunt end of a baseball bat, minus KY, might be a start.

Seriously, I think that man is a genuinely dangerous individual.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 08:06AM

He will have a stroke/heart attack/plane crash and be bypassed, "sadly" for health reasons.

He will never fulfill his dream of being a figurehead.

Anagrammy

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 11:07AM

I know what you mean. I have to give credit to Spencer W. Kimball. One chapter of his book and I was outa there. He confirmed my gut feeling. I always regretted not sending him a thank you note.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 11:37AM

It's another example of how there is no accountability in the Mormon church. Leaders get to say whatever crazy thing they want, and they get a pass. It hasn't even been two years since the Packer gay speech, and it's already pretty much forgotten.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 03:37PM

Prop H8 & its aftermath here in California started hammering the nails in my coffin. Packer's Oct. 2010 hate speech was the final nail and the sure sign that my time with LD$ Inc. was done. Not long after I sent in my offical resignation to Salt Lake.
Yeah, I've got a special place for Boyd in my heart too; you can tell by my user name ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.