Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 01:32PM

A proposed new nine story building to be built at the MTC in Provo was receiving significant opposition from neighbors until a letter was read over the pulpit telling them to support it.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/provo/remaining-opponents-of-mtc-plan-gearing-up-for-council-meeting/article_449e9483-6589-5c9a-b01c-285213f86aad.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 02:08PM

"The tactics used by the brethren to intimidate neighbors of the MTC makes me ashamed for my church, especially since the church had earlier promised these neighbors that they would not do the very thing they are now trying to do," (Tammy) Hinckley wrote. "It looks like the church is hoping to apply enough pressure on the MTC neighbors that they will simply give up."

That quote says it all. Looks like the unethical morg is its own worst enemy.

All this for a building designed to train their salespeople in how to sell a fake church.

Posted by: nonotamo ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 02:46PM

How about nine stories of MTC space--UNDER GROUND???

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 04:25PM

Why not!? The Y made that idea work with their new Harold B. Lee library! And that's very close to the MTC.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 03:05PM

Mormon leaders can spin ANYTHING.

those 'promises' not build the building as proposed:
Who made them? Did they have GA approval? When & How given?

NOT AUTHORIZED!

Does Provo have ordinances regarding parking spaces?
Is public transit an option?

what about the other utilities?

NO DOUBT this property won't be on the tax rolls; other residents will be Subsidzing police & fire protection, etc.

How about impact fees for infrastructure? who pays those?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 03:09PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 03:59PM

The thing that gets me is that there is no need for this building at all.

The mormon church has been sending mishies directly to so-called "MTCs" in the country of their mission. The only mishies that attend in Provo are those who have to spend their time in the USA and other engligh speaking countries. (except the Japanese - TSCC closed that "MTC" a few years ago)

If you watch youtube vids of kids openeing up their envelopes, you will hear "you should report to the Brazil MTC on ...".

So, mishie numbers are down/stagnant. The ones who have to learn a new language are often sent to a foreign mtc. That means that the bulk of the mishies in Provo are only there for 2 weeks.

Why the need for this building?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 04:31PM

some people 'speculated' that the ChurchCo building in Provo will be a large 'telemarketing' center where e-missionaries will reply-respond to online (phone, text, computer) inquiries about Mormonism, ala: Chat with a Mormon.

perhaps they see that as 'the future' of missionary work.

dorms + a telecenter, ya know...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 04:41PM

All the land the church owns, they can't put it anywhere but right in the middle of this neighborhood?

It goes along with my experience of being a member. All my life I was taught how the mormons were persecuted, and how they will continue to be. I was never told the real deal. The real story is that I would be persecuted most of all by the mormons themselves. It's the men in leadership that have persecuted me more than anyone. From the prophets assistants, Ga's down to the EQP, they have done plenty to try and make my life miserable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.