Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: califkorihorfan ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 05:25PM

My response to the recent Business Week article: When nearly all of the “prophets, seers, and revelators” of the Mormon Church are either businessmen, corporate lawyers, or life-long church employees, why is anyone surprised they are more successful at managing Mormon Church, Inc. as a huge holding company than they are at providing a coherent religious philosophy that is relevant to even a majority of people living today?

Why is managerial experience and competence considered more important when choosing church leaders than a demonstrated ability to receive revelation from God (this is after all the main job description of a “prophet, seer, and revelator” isn’t it)?

Shouldn’t Church leaders be focused on asking for and receiving “continuing revelation”? After all, there are thousands of Church employees able to manage the “temporal affairs” of the Church. It doesn’t take a prophet to manage a hunting preserve or a temple building project.

Where are the Artists, musicians, actors, novelists, theologians, theoretical scientists, custodians, high school teachers, farmers, coaches, etc. among the leaders of the Church?

Of the Several billion people alive today, do you really think Christ could not find individuals more empathetic and “spiritually tuned-in” to fill the role of His prophets, seers & revelators? With guys like Boyd Packer (a man who doesn’t even seem to be able to recognize that gay people really exist) and Dallin Oaks (a man who seems constitutionally unable to approach any subject like a regular person rather than as a lawyer), no wonder there seems to be no revelation given—if I was Jesus I wouldn’t want to talk to these guys either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 05:28PM

Jesus got his MBA after his visit to America (from Celestian U).

His church/business vision got a rewrite.

Posted by: califkorihorfan ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 05:32PM

Celestial U? Nope, it was an "honorary" degree from His university in Provo.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 05:39PM

If you could turn water into wine, you might not get much done either.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 08:29PM

lmoa! hahaha

Posted by: Dr. B, Buzzatd Bait ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 06:20PM

First of all Jesus does not run the church = It is run by a bunch of self appointed men (corporate Types) Who run a corporation under the name of a church. There is no relationship.

Someone need to understand God's ways versus Corporate or Satanic ways. This is the eye opener!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 06:34PM

I've been thinking about that for a while now. When a church hires (or in Mormon terminology, calls) primarily businessmen and lawyers to run the church, it should be a surprise to no one that the church is run like a business.

How about calling more people who have a demonstrated, extensive history of doing good for their fellow man? How about some people who are truly inspiring, visionary speakers? How about people who can garner respect outside of church circles?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 06:47PM

I personally, don't think mormonism has theologians, only apologists that make up excuses.

If the church's goal is to make money, it's doing very well.
If its goal is to get more members and stuff them into the typical mormon mold, it's not doing so well.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 07:16PM

Jesus is popping ibuprofen and rubbing his forehead with a painful look on his face.

"Hey dad, it looks like we need another dark ages on earth. There is nothing left of the true church that we revealed to Joseph. Let's start looking for a new prophet. I heard Warren Jeffs is out in 2026. I have to go to the little boy's room. Let me know if anything changes down there."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 07:18PM by redpill.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 07:46PM

This was actually a serious epiphany for me after reviewing the data on actual membership numbers.

To see in real, undeniable terms, from several independent sources, that the membership claims of TSCC were completely false was a huge wake up call. What was also very clear is that there is no way that cult leadership is not aware of how egregious their lies are in this regard.

If these leaders were running a regular company they would have been fired long ago as they are failing in their primary duty to increase membership.

The so-called "stone cut out of the mountain without hands, rolling forth to fill the whole earth" is a sleight of hand, a cheap accountant's trick, a PR lie designed to deceive. Jesus Christ's church was failing.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 08:28PM

Maybe he's too busy trying to convince dead mormons to stop holding up the line with the handshakes so the the others can get through too.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 12:45AM

I think his main problem is that he has seemed to have lost that bag of lightning volts he is supposed to use for his subordinate selection process.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 01:12AM

"Honey, I'm home", Jesus said as he came through the front door. He tossed his briefcase onto the sofa, loosened his tie, and poured himself a stiff martini.

"It's been a helluva day", he said as he put his feet up.

"I hired a new P.R. guy this morning. I think Pete's gonna work out fine, but these Romans -- they're really getting up my ass. They keep asking me who I'm working for -- who's the big boss?"

Jesus took a thoughtful puff of his cigar.

"Some days I wonder why I'm in this rat-race. I should just retire and get a little condo down by the Jordan".

to be continued...

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 02:12AM

... if I retired, I could ditch the celibacy and enjoy life a little...

God knows, I've tried. I even made a personal appearance to set things right, followed by a Restoration-- which would have worked fine if I hadn't chosen Joseph Smith. What a dick.

I know, honey, you did your part and you can feel proud of the sacrifice you made. They won't find anybody else who will take on everybody's shit like you did. Let that good-for-nothing Holy Ghost take over. He has been wanting a body, wanting your job if we're being honest, well, let him have his shot.

Yeah, having a body worked out real well for Joseph. We told him not to do it-- we told him to stay on as Elias, a job he had DOWN, but no, he wanted the whole free agency trip. You know, my mother hated him.

No kidding?

Yeah, she wanted to send an angel with a flaming sword and just cut the bastard's head off. I told her he was teflon. Smith would just use the apparition to create a new scam.

Well, that is pretty harsh.

Anagrammy

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 02:31AM

I would love to see a parody of Jesus running his affairs on earth, like it was the modern Mormon church. After he cleans out the temple of the money changers, we discover it was because he had his own mall of competing money changers next door.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 04:31AM

$5 billion dollars in liquid, available funds...seems like Christ is doing a great job in terms of cash flow...

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 11:36AM

..is busy having too much fun with his multiple wives to care anylonger what goes on in his one true church on earth.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 12:25PM

New Testament Jesus got by with preaching out doors. Jesus also promised that He would return soon. How ever that getting nailed to a cross thing must have been more traumatic than Jesus could deal with. It damaged Jesus, warped His sensibilities, turning Him into MORmON Jesus.

MORmON Jesus has done a lot of stupid stuff. REALLY STUPID Stuff. Like telling Joe Smith to start up with wife collecting and to rip off the masonic lodge for the LDS temple ceremony. It did not go very well for Joe in the end as Joe followed MORmON Jesus' dictates on those counts.

MORmON Jesus is OBSESSED with accumulating Real Estate, and real estate investment and development. MORmON Jesus brought forth the gold plates/ Book of MORmON to testify of Himself, so there would not be any question about his role as son of God and savoir of the world, and then MJ took the gold plates up to heaven for storage where no one can see them,
which raises so many questions that it undid all the testifying of Him that the BOM might have accomplished. MORmON Jesus wants young men to commit to serving LDS missions, BUT MJ Himself is having a Hell of time getting around to his promised and long delayed second comming.

but whatever MORmON Jesus is doing, it always makes sense to MORmONS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QknCsJQBcco

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.