Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 12:36AM

Someone posted this link to a Discovery channel video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhd05ZVYWg

It was very interesting. Very perplexing too. I am still having a hard time understanding the spontaneous appearance of protons and negative energy. In a general sense I understand it all.

Its got me scratching my head too much though. Almost depressing in some ways. Time has to continue irregardles of a clock stopping in a black hole. I think every second that ticks by occurs regardless of clocks. If a black hole swallows one up in it and stops the clock or your heart, I would say that is death. I don't see how time ever stops.

Anyone else having trouble with this concept?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 12:42AM

It is my understanding that some weird things happen mathematically in these equations. Time bends instead of going in a straight plane, and theoretically can stop.

Of course this is their claims. Most people cannot understand the math or concepts they are claiming so it is considered valid based on the credibility of the institutions supporting their claims.

One could say the same thing about the Ancient Scripture dept at BYU.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 12:55AM

Time and space are woven together in a great fabric which can be warped and spun around. Your perception is based on your experience here on earth where you haven't experienced any significant time dilation, but if we ever discover a way to travel near the speed of light you'll begin to get a taste. For instance, if a person travels to a nearby star near the speed of light and then returns, time will dilate within the vessel. 60 years may have passed here on earth, but only a few days may have passed for that person. He will then meet up with grandchildren that are older than him! In the middle of this voyage, if a person on earth could catch a glimpse into the traveling vessel he would see a picture of people seemingly frozen in time, statues in mid-action. However, from the perspective of the people on the vessel, life would appear to be going on normally without any strange occurances.

So it would be if you were sucked into a black hole. From your perspective, only a second or two would pass before you're crushed into the event horizon. However, for the outside observer billions of years could be passing as you ever more and more slowly grew closer to that elusive boundary. Time is always linear for you, but asymptotic for the universe. Black holes actually kind of freak me out in that milliseconds could take billions of years for everyone else.

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 02:14AM

IMHO, the clock represents time or rather the absence of time within the black hole. It appears to you that time must never stop because you are standing outside the black hole where indeed time does exist. By extension, if ALL matter were to be as compressed as the matter in a black hole is, the universe would become as it was before the big bang which is why Hawking says there was no creator, because time did not exist. Nothing did.

Thanks for posting this.

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 05:02AM

It is really confusing stuff. I can not imagine what it would be like without time. You would think the big bang needed time to form before the explosion. The time travel episode in that series is really incredible and might answer some of your questions. It might be on youtube to watch. You can also order the series like I did on bluray!

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 10:00AM

So if I am understanding this right, would it be assumed that someone traveling the speed of light is actually slowing their bio rythms down on that flight to the closest star? in other words, super slow heart beat? Aging process is thereby forstalled slowly.

Do we actually have proof of these things or is it all theory still?

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 10:41AM

Their bio rhythms are still functioning normally from their body's perspective, which is the only one that really counts. This has actually been proven a number of different ways, both indirectly and directly. By directly, I mean they actually made a set of super-accurate identical clocks and put one on a shuttle in orbit at high velocity, predicted exactly how much it would lag, and observed that exact amount of lag compared to the other clock after it returned to Earth. The indirect ways they proved it are significantly more complicated.

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 02:24PM

kind of like when you are inside a chapel on sunday and time is slowed to a snail's pace but outside your friends are functioning normally. Sorry, I really do love science. I guess I take things too lightly which is why, when I was a mormon, I really didn't take the doctrines about the "hereafter" very seriously.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.