Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 05:40PM

they are a menace to the church?

(...and where did that quote come from, anyway, Bring'em Young?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 05:43PM

It was recently popularized by Steve Young. When he was about that age he would fairly often state that his gr-gr-gr-great grandpa BY would say anyone not married over 25 was a menaced to society.

Apparently it's an urban legend though:
http://mormonmonsters.blogspot.com/2009/09/25-year-old-men-menace-to-society.html

Date: July 16, 2012 05:54PM

but do Mo's treat single males like they're not doing their duty to God & Church if they remain unmarried suitors of Rosie Palms & her five sisters?

The YSA ward dishonorable discharge thread started me thinking about it. I left before I became a menace to them, so they never got to play it out on me, but I know they were saying it to guys a couple of years older back then...

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:02AM

Yeah, at 25 I got it. Plenty. Probably because they knew I was up to no good on some level. But I got the lecture.

Date: July 17, 2012 09:03AM

I only got it once, from a bishop who told me I "get a more solid career, settle down and start a family."

Needless to say, I did nothing of the kind...

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:07AM

My mom would always say to stay away from any mormon guy over 25 because they probably had issues. I assume the older males are pretty tempted to masterbate and have sex because they have waited so long. My friends dad was 41 when he finally got married. Truly a 40 year old virgin!

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:17AM

Not sure about having sex, but I'm pretty sure like 90%+ of mormon males masturbate to be honest.

For example, I started masturbating when I was 11 years old, and I got taught when I became a teacher in Young Men (at age 14) that I shouldn't be masturbating. But I had already been doing it regularly for over 2 years, it was impossible for me to stop (trust me, I tried as hard as I could, since I thought I'd be going to hell if I did it any more!!).

I think it's a similar situation for a lot of other males, they start masturbating towards the end of primary, but they don't get told not to until they're in youth, by then they're already doing it all the time, and once you start, it's very difficult to stop.

I honestly can't imagine any male ever not masturbating. I know of guys that get very depressed if they even go 4 months without having sex, so I can't imagine a male going 40 years without even masturbating.

I assume you're female, so you probably don't understand what it's like, but I'd be willing to be most mormon males masturbate, even if it's a sin. It's probably one of the most ridiculous commandments given by the church imo. And I have a feeling they're trying to phase it out, since I hardly hear anybody talk about it anymore.

Posted by: anothercasualty ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:33AM

Not in my experience. We recently had bishopric training with the Stake President and he spent a good deal of time lecturing on it.

Date: July 17, 2012 09:40AM

I don't see them ever giving it up as a topic as long as they can terrorize and control adolescent males with the threat that Masturbation = Hairy Palms, The Gateway Sin To Ever-Deeper Depravities, and Eternal Damnation.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:39AM

"I assume you're female, so you probably don't understand what it's like..."

Whist did you mean by this exactly?

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:07AM

Then they are stake high councilmen.

Date: July 17, 2012 09:14AM

I didn't know that! Is that a new policy or has it been that way for a long time?

Posted by: 1997resignee ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:18AM

Old policy. When I was at the MTC in April 1988, ET Benson reinforced the old policy: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/17520/Honorable-marriage-more-important-than-wealth-and-position.html

Date: July 17, 2012 09:27AM

Thanks, I know they've always pushed single males into early marriage.

I was specifically referring to them appointing wealthy single males to stake high council positions, which is something I didn't know about. Have you any info on that?

Date: July 17, 2012 09:29AM

All I know is that a family friend is, & I can't go into specifics due to privacy.

Date: July 17, 2012 09:36AM

I wonder if it is their way of rewarding and retaining the stubbornly-single-but-totally-devoted-morgbot ...

Date: July 17, 2012 10:05AM

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:16AM

My cousin is 24, active in the church, actively having sex with women he meets.

He told me he listened to a talk or read an article that counseled young men to stop putting of marriage. It said that too many were focused on the things of the world. Too many were just dating around and having fun. Too many were buying toys, cars, going to school and not focusing on making a family.

It is still being preached. He is totally ignoring it, but it is still being preached.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.