Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 02:57AM

So I have a standing dinner on Monday nights with friends.

I have been telling them about the mormon cult for YEARS. They have seen the temple getup and they have been shown the handshakes (we call them "secret squirrels"). But tonight, they (through one form or another - wink - wink) they were able to actually see them in action.

It was great fun.

Which led to a night of discussion about the mormon church, the Bloomberg article, the "I'm A Mormon" campaign, Mittens and humanitarian aid.

Both of them are never-mos and from day one they saw right through the I'm A Mormon campaign. And they were not pleased!

As I said, I had a great night.

I will add that at the beginning of my tirade years ago, they thought I was exaggerating. Why would I? No need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 02:59AM by Levi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 08:08AM

In my experience I'm had to underplay the realities because listeners can't fathom the realities of mormonism.

Many exmos are embarrassed that they swallowed such silliness and continue to paint mormonism as more mild and mainstream than it is to cover for their residual brainwashing and because they still have TBM family they're supporting.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:20AM

Yeah, all my neverMo friends think I'm exaggerating too, until they meet another exMo.

Then they come back to me and say "I honestly thought you were making it all up!"

Makes for a lot of mocking and looud laughter.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:23AM

The jaw drop, the 'No...you're making that up!'

I love telling all. Especially the look on faces of the women I know when I tell them in the most secret ceremonies the women have to wear a veil over their faces and bow their heads and say yes to the men.

The usual response is, "Here? ....In America,2012???"

C.U.L.T.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:29AM

Haha the exaggeration claim, you got to love it.

Telling a friend about what happens in the temple and all the crazy beliefs and he is staying with me then he says, "okay you've got to be playing with me now...."

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:34AM

I like to tell people about my experiences with evangelicals & others when I was in elementary school telling me what the cult believed, & me saying to them that I had no idea what they were talking about because I was only 8 years old at the time. & then being taught those same crazy things I didn't believe whatsoever at age 12, & feeling severely lied to. Of course, I stopped believing right before I turned 9, so it didn't matter, but still.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.