Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: drwal ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 01:03PM

How much rot was there really going on around the 2002 Olympics in SLC that involved the LDS Church, and or Mormons organizing the games? I remember someone giving me a beret from the games as a gift. It was made by Roots, a Canadian company. I found this odd, and somehow wrong at the time -- as much as I loved Canada -- I felt the hat should have been made in the USA if it really was about patriotic support.

Next, I remember reading that the Olympic Games got to Utah via bribery. How many Mormon were involved in that?

Now I am reading that the uniforms for the games were made in Burma (Myanmar), the one place that human rights violations were arguable worse than China. Workers who created these uniforms worked in slave-like and inhumane conditions. This is well documented.

So Mitt, left outsourcing at Bain, to run the Olympics in Utah, and then agreed to outsourcing of Olympic goods to be made under extremely unethical conditions?

Any other Mormons involved in this disgusting blot on the SLC games?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 02:28PM

coincidence?

I was just reading the Wiki article about the '02 games.

It doesn't go into much detail about Romney, but I believe it touched on the scandal.

Someone should do an accounting of how much Federal $ went into it, ALL the other aspects.

IF WMR is going to claim this as 'good experience' for him to be POTUS, let's get it out in the open.

also:

New Oxymoron: "Retired Retroactively"

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:34PM

Nothing went on to win the games for Utah that didn't go one in virtually every other modern bid. The trouble was that the wheeling and dealing that goes on behind the scene became known during the Salt Lake bid process. Those SLC leaders such as Tom Welch who did so much to win the game for Utah in the first were sold down the river when the scandal broke (they were later found not guilty of conspiracy involving bid irregularities) and Romney was brought in as the new squeaky clean manager. Romney claims he "saved" the Salt Lake Olympics but in my view that is a vast exaggeration. While he did a good job in handling the Olympics they were already on track for success before he even came long. Romney was mostly about image.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:47PM

a huge infusion of federal tax dollars from the Bush administration.

So, once again, Mittens "success" is paid for by the American taxpayers.

Posted by: hellrazor ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 04:24AM

Years before Romney brought his own brand of white-collar swindling people were bribing for the location of the Olympics. The International Olympic Committee might as well change their acronym from IOC to IOU.

Date: July 17, 2012 03:45PM

New Oxymoron: "Retired Retroactively" That's brilliant!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:35PM

I had a thought about that today. I wonder if exmos could "resign retroactively." Maybe we'd be entitled to a tithing refund.

Posted by: nonmo_ ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:48PM

"Next, I remember reading that the Olympic Games got to Utah via bribery. How many Mormon were involved in that?"

My understanding is that the bribery (with prostitutes no less), was all done before Romney got involved. He wasn't involved at the beginning with the SLC olympics, but came in later and "cleaned them up".

Date: July 17, 2012 03:57PM

Yeah, I knew that Romney was not involved in the bribery, but I was wondering if other Mormons were? My line of thinking is that if the Mormons got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, was it a deliberate act to bring in another Mormon -- Romney -- to clean up after them?

My next thought then was who okayed the uniforms made in Burma -- was it to save money --because of the earlier financial mess Mormons made? Romney was running the Olympics at that point, and the fish rots from the head on down.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:13PM

The 2012 uniforms were made in China.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 05:08PM

Romney was not involved in the bribery scandal, but clearly, other Mormons were.
They wanted the games for Utah in order to showcase the church.

As I recall, the bribes involved free education at BYU for some official's kids.

At any rate, it seems the Lrd never helps the morg to reach their goals. LOL.
Everything they try to do usually backfires on them.

Date: July 17, 2012 05:10PM

The 2012 uniforms were made in China.

Yes? I am not sure what your point is on this. Could you expand? A lot of Americans are annoyed by Chinese workers making Olympic uniforms. From what I have been reading people in both political parties are speaking out against the Ralph Lauren Co. who is in charge of the uniforms that are being made China. Are you trying to say Mitt's, (the man who is supposed to be a shining example to the world as the LATTER DAY SAINT amongst gentles,) outsourcing is not different from others who profit from slave wages in Asia? If that is your point, you are correct.

The whole poing about Bain is that Mitt DENIES being involved with outsourcing. If he thought outsourcing was so great for America's economy -- in my opinion -- he would be claiming it was his brilliant idea for Bain to be doing this to begin with.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 05:51PM

My point is simply that Utah, Mormons and Mitt aside, the 2012 uniforms were made in China. Do you really need everything spelled out for you?

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:00PM

"...in my opinion -- he would be claiming it was his brilliant idea for Bain to be doing this to begin with."

You seem like a nice guy. Would you like to buy a bridge? I've got several I can offer you, but you have to act fast...

Date: July 17, 2012 05:13PM

Re: the bribes involved free education at BYU for some official's kids.

Wow, that is really astonishing! Bribe them . . . and then convert their kids to our ex-cult by having the attend BYU! Kids pay 10 percent and viola, the church MAKES money.

Date: July 17, 2012 06:20PM

Wow, lets be mean to old ladies on the board who are disturbed by Mitt Romney's having outsourced uniforms to Burma!

It seems that plenty of people in both parties think outsourcing was a good idea. (Some still think so.) Mitt Romney bothers me because of his doublespeak -- like so many GAs and Mormon professors I had, both as an undergraduate and a graduate student at BYU. In the 1970s we were taught that any person with dark skin was cursed. Period. Now this is an inconvenient truth, just like outsourcing has become an inconvenient truth. So the story changes. It bothers me.

I thought this board was about recovery, things about Mormonism that are haunting us. Not random comments on the Olympics in 2012. I thought this was a forum for finding out information and help, not insults.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:34PM

He wants to get elected by a population that has - since 2006 - been reeling from the economic effects of the business actions of scumbags like himself (and, by extension, Bain and others) in the not-too-distant past. If he wants to get one step further in this election, he's going to continue to lie like a rug and claim that he had nothing to do with shipping jobs overseas.

And of course he's going to LIE about it: what (all bragging about his Mormonism aside), in his entire life, has he ever told the truth about?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 06:35AM

I thought this thread was about the Olympics and Mitt Romney, which intersects with Mormonism and elitism, not racism.

Now the topic swings off to outsourcing, just like a conversation does. We are not talking right now about recovery issues, just as we are not talking about what we are drinking tonight.

Why in the world do you care? If you don't like the turn the thread takes, start your own about racism or whatever you like.

The need to control others is an artifact of cult indoctrination. Just let it go, friend, and relax. If someone disses you, forget it. In fifteen minutes, they will have.

Anagrammy

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:33PM

You're correct that the 2002 uniforms were from Roots, a Canadian company.

I find it rather funny when people complain about where the uniforms were/are manufactured. Look at the labels on your own clothing, folks. Using overseas manufacturers is nothing new. American jobs were lost to overseas manufacturers decades ago.

Posted by: captain ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:45PM

We live in a global economy. The U.S. has outgrown much of it's manufacturing. If you don't want to pay $100 for a T-shirt it's gonna be made somewhere else. The lost jobs thing is very minimal not many Americans are willing to work for minimum wage at a manufacturing plant. Until inflation and minimum salaries find a balance there will be more of lower end jobs heading overseas.

Date: July 17, 2012 07:05PM

Captain, This is about something Mitt Romney did that he claims he did not do. I respect your opinion of the topic, but there are other sides to it as well.

abcnews.go.com/.../companies-move-manufacturing-jobs-back-to-a...

My husband is an executive producer of very successful television shows. His company and others talked their network and studio into buying American made goods, (as much as possible) thousands of jobs were created. This has been analyzed and discussed in the media. I am sure you can find a lot of information on it if you are interested. However, I think this forum is not the right place for a debate on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 07:23PM by drwal.

Date: July 17, 2012 07:30PM

inmoland --Thanks for reminding us of the tax dollars involved to bail out this so called privately funded event. Romney wanted Detroit to go bankrupt because as he as oft repeated -- tax dollars should not be used to bail the private sector out. He is a massive hypocrite.

LOL "oft repeated" sound like a Momo speech thing! Sorry.

Date: July 17, 2012 07:17PM

HUGE numbers of jobs in the manufacturing sector have moved overseas in the last decade or so. And most of them were NOT minimum wage jobs.

Sure, the products may be cheaper when made elsewhere, but if the jobs leak out from the USofA, who here will have the money to BUY said cheaper products made elsewhere?

Economic activity is driven by DEMAND, period. Your statements show a woeful ignorance of economics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 07:17PM by helamonster.

Date: July 17, 2012 07:31PM

Enlightening me oh wise one. It is driven by demand and right now the economy is driven by cheap clothing and cheap electronics. I can buy 50 inch flat screen for cheaper than a 19 inch black and white tv back in the day. How much would a union based U.S. manufactured TV cost? If the U.S. wanted to compete they would have to pay their employees minimum wage and that would still be triple what they pay in Asia. Until consumers refuse to by an Ipad made in a sweat shop nothing will change. The demand for cheap products outweighs the cost of outsourcing to most Americans.

Date: July 17, 2012 07:51PM

They don't. It's telling that you use the example of televisions; NONE are made in the United States right now.

And I've met so many people like you before who talk about "wage stabilization", which is really code for, "let's do away with minimum wage laws and race the third world to the bottom".

Yeah, THAT'S the solution. We had the highest wages in the world in the 1950s, a decade your type seems to long to return to. So why did we have all the manufacturing jobs then, hmm?

Date: July 17, 2012 10:03PM

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about eliminating minimum wage or going back to the 1950's. Outsourcing wasn't a reality in the 50's the world has gotten a lot smaller. So since your so quick to critize let me hear your solutions? If the consumers have no choice in the matter is it up to government to force companies to stay in the U.S? I am all for tax breaks for companies and making business easier for those companies that are made in America but it is harder and harder to compete when your labor costs 5 to 10 times more.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:03PM

No one is saying that it's a good thing, Helamonster. It's just reality. Most manufacturing has moved overseas.

Date: July 17, 2012 06:49PM

I make a point of buying made in the USA. I try that with other products as well. If it is not possible I try to stick to countries that are not accused of using slave labor or inhuman working conditions. Of course I don't always succeed, but I try.

www.buyamericanmovement.org/

Outside of the Mormon church, this country has given me so much. It is my small way of trying to help give jobs back to workers here.

Anyway the point of this all still remains. Romney reminds me of all the other hypocrite Mormon leaders I was forced to listen to growing up. I cannot ABIDE their smarmy tones, and holier than-you- will-ever be attitudes.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 07:11PM

It's the lying Mitt does about him "saving" the Olympics, ostensibly with his magnificent business acumen, that gets to me. In fact what he did was go to Congress and beg (and receive) millions of taxpayer dollars to bail out what was supposed to be an entirely privately funded event; this while harping on and on in the same breath about slashing government spending.

Date: July 17, 2012 07:19PM

xyz, you are so right about the lies. It bothers me. Of course all politicians lie, but somehow it is compounded for me in Romney. Between his poor dog on the roof of the car, his Swiss bank accounts, and Bain's outsourcing, (privately he thinks outsourcing is great, but publicly he won't admit it,) his shifting stance on major social issues etc etc. I think he is terrible. And if he believes the Mormon church is true, he is not only terrible but stupid.

I have very conservative friends who also can't stand him because they think he is a HUGE hypocrite. It is worse for me because he reminds of Mormon GAs. I break out in a cold sweat when I think of this man lecturing us as the president of the USA. It bring every nightmare I lived as a Mormon back.

Posted by: anony57 ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 08:39PM

Here's a video that shows John McCain railing against the 1.3B Olympic bailout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUSnK4th6KQ

Date: July 18, 2012 01:04AM

Holy smokes this is a damning video of Romney.

McCain states that Romney ran the "most expensive Games in U.S. history." He continues by criticizing the 2002 Olympics as an "incredible pork-barrel project" and as a massive "rip-off of the taxpayers."

Really worth watching. I miss that maverick John McCain, I wish he would come back.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:47PM

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending Mormons, I think the point is that the original SL Olympic organizers found that bribery was the official currency for winning the games and they played the game they were expected to play. I heard directly from some who participated in the bid process in Birmingham, England when SL lost out to Japan. The SL team arrived in Birmingham carrying cowboy hats and salt water taffy as gifts for voting delegates, only to find that the Japanese were giving out free gifts like Rolex watches. SL lost the bid and from that point on decided that if they were ever to win the games they would have to play the way members of the IOC with votes wanted it played. This they did. They were just unlucky that some journalist with a nose for a story exposed the whole Olympic fiasco. The real villains in the story were the corrupt members of the IOC.

Date: July 18, 2012 12:56AM

I do think you are right Kentish, but really a Church? With the name Jesus Christ in it? At least the Japanese or Brits were not part of an organized religion!

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:00PM

There were articles, probably in Salon(.com), but possibly in Slate(.com) about what Romney did to 'save' the Olympics - basically got the US Gov't and his rich, mormon friends to pay for it. His organizational skills really didn't do anything.

Both Slate(.com) and Salon(.com) have had articles in the last two weeks or so looking at Romney's 'saving' the Olympics.

Slate has an article that explains the hideous beret that goes with the 2012 US Olympic uniform and a history of the uniforms and where they were made...

Date: July 18, 2012 12:49AM

Thanks for the info on slate and salon, I am going to keep my eyes out for what they come up with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 12:57AM by drwal.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 01:10AM

FWIW, Im pretty sure WMR said he used influence to accelerate some gov't spending (like re-paving I-15, which was in HORRIBLE CONDITION just B4 the Olys). That would be a bit of a stretch to complain about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 01:24AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.