Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 05:59PM

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/07/boy-scouts-upholds-ban-on-gays-after-confidential-two-year-review.html

Grumble grumble. Hopefully in the 3 years before my kid is old enough to start scouts, I'll have a demur way of saying "they can go to h3ll" about why I don't want him to join, being in the morridor and all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nejulie ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:05PM

Great- now I don't have to drag my kids to cub scouts.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:07PM

the balls of the BSA are gripped and twisted by the evil claws of the Morg...

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:11PM

And a bunch of other fundamentalist christian churches, I'm sure. Isn't it a requirement of the BSA that members have to believe in a god of some sort, no atheists? At least mormons aren't the only "gay is bad" church. (Though totally hypocritical that they make official statements saying that members should stand up against persecution and bullying of gay members, then says "we support the BSA, and they say gay is bad." ugh.)

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:17PM

If you want to see a BSA official's head go "POP!" just ask him which is worse: a homo or an atheist....

Posted by: Takafumi ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:39AM

I'm a homosexual atheist... maybe I should show up at the next blue and gold banquet just for fun...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:20PM

Not as off topic as you think. BSA has tried to get moderate on their anti-gay policies many times, and every time the Morg has gotten in the way.

Posted by: GoneNative ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 06:39PM

I never understood this. I know at least two gay Eagle scouts, openly gay, never hid it. And I'm not sure they're God fearing, either. Maybe its because I'm thankfully far away from the Morridor, but the only discrimination I see over here where I am are against girls, unless it's a venture crew.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 08:16PM

I was a Boy Nazi Scout myself. The scout manual had a passage warning boys about "nocturnal emissions" and how such events were not be taken in hand. Of course we read that passage over and over, snickering at it while knowing we all did it.

The camping was fun. The propaganda, not so much.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:04PM

Are you saying your boy scout troop was like it was ran by the nazis or that you were in the actual Hitler Youth?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:19PM

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 08:57PM

THE GAY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

To be admitted you MUST be openly gay.

Posted by: american jesus ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 09:36PM

saviorself Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THE GAY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
>
> To be admitted you MUST be openly gay.

As a guy who supports BSA and their right to dictate who belongs to their organization, the gay scouts of america would be just find with me. They could dictate that you have to be gay to be a member. If I don't agree with their policies....guess what.....i wouldn't join and i wouldn't call it discrimination. what a concept......

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:52AM

I remember being in a meeting where the church leaders (acting as an Eagle Scout committee) were interviewing me deciding if I was Eagle worthy. This is part of the requirements for Eagle, but LDS Inc takes it to a whole new level.

At least it did at that time, in the 1980's. This was long before the drive through Eagle projects. Suffice it to say I had done a lot of work for this and really earned it.

I do remember a mention in the meeting where they stated that the BSA could rescind this award for certain bad behaviors. Even then though, I thought it is not a reward, it is an earning.

Thirty years later. The Eagle Scout people continually call me for donations. I will not donate to them, and usually give them a profanity laced response on the phone. I was pleasant and businesslike for the first two phone calls, since then, if I have not been on a training tape and my name removed from their calling list, all bets are off.

I am considering sending my Eagle medal back to them, or doing something with it as a political protest. Kind of like John Kerry throwing his military medals back at them.

It would be nice to do it in a fashion that would allow maximum media exposure to their primative and dangerous indoctrination of young men.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 02:51AM

"They could dictate that you have to be gay to be a member. If I don't agree with their policies....guess what.....i wouldn't join and i wouldn't call it discrimination. what a concept......"

Really? So, Boy Scouts America does not take or use any and all public funding in any shape or form? It solely relies on private donations? If so, then it surely should be considered a private club that has every right to dictate who they would like to admit into their group and who they would like to exclude.

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 09:48AM

Former Eagle Scout here asking the question.

Posted by: Foo ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:34PM

I prefer to be able to say I'm an Eagle Scout, always will be, and I do NOT support exclusion of gay scouts or scouters.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 12:44PM

I like that.

+1000

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.