Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 07:30AM

In his thread "Why I'm scared to leave the Church, despite what I've learned," mleblanc138 wrote:

"And yes, I am quite child-like in many ways, perhaps that's a result of being autistic."

I think this is the key to his situation.

In my profession, I have identified, diagnosed, and worked with many people whose behaviors are within the autism spectrum (Autistic, PDD, and Asperger's). One of the key factors is their "comfort zone." They like regular, familiar routines, and they can get quite anxious if their routine is interrupted or changed in any way.

mleblanc138 is in his comfort zone. Things are familiar. He likes it. Even though he knows much more information and truth than most TBMs, he wants to stay in his zone. His statement that "my mind will come up with 10 or 20 different possible explanations for it all, the biggest one being 'those things happened before I was born and don't affect me'" is his rationale to remain within this zone. The thought of leaving this comfort zone - to change his behaviors - makes an autistic person anxious. And if there is a radical change in behavior or circumstances, the autistic person's anxiety levels will increase dramatically.

If mleblanc138 wants to change his behavior patterns, he can. But he will need to want to change. First, his current fears need to be addressed, and assurances given that some small changes are OK, and can be for the better. I would first recommend changes in the payment of 'tithing' to LDS Corp (this would provide the most observable immediate benefit to him). If he is now paying 10% of his gross income, change that to 10% of his net income. Let him see that terrible things will not happen when this small change is made. After a while, reduce that to 8% for a couple of months, then 5%, etc. Show that his 'blessings' and experiences with his ward and friends will not change, with the benefit being that he will have more money for himself, to meet his own needs and pleasures. And he can also contribute money to actual charities, those that do some real good within the community.

With small, incremental changes, mleblanc138's life can get better. Hopefully, he can get to the point that he is not "scared" of leaving a corrupt organization, but to live a more fulfilling, authentic life withour fear.

Just my opinion...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: me ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 08:25AM

JMO? I concur. Further development on this topic:

If more people left like that, there wouldn't be as many needy people on this board. Stress reduction is the name of the game, and I advise that everyone leave at their own speed. Everyone displays autistic traits at times, and at various levels. It is a continuum, not a dichotomy.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 08:29AM

+1

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 08:28AM

I also work with autistic individuals professionally, and I think you may be onto something. Mleblanc138 does come across as high-functioning, so I think with good support he/she could most likely make a good transition out. Finding a counselor would be the first step, but unfortunately it sounds like he/she doesn't have a good non-Mormon support system (friends and family) to provide additional support. Without that, it will most likely be very difficult.

Date: July 18, 2012 08:38AM

I agree - a support system that will help guide him to adopt and adapt to a more fulfilling, enriching life, a life that does not include the fear of going against any of LDS Corp's decrees.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 08:40AM

He/She is pretty much in control expressing the belief;

"This is most definitely a serious post. I'm in semi-questioning mode but will most likely stay in the Church to secure my eternity."

mleblanc doesn't look helpless.

Date: July 18, 2012 12:45PM

Nope, he's not helpless. But we all could use some support when we make life-changing decisions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.