Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:11PM

I constantly have "music" playing inside my head! I can't turn it off! Everything from Mormon hymns, classic symphony to Justin Beiber...If You Were My Girlfriend....argh!!!!

I don't listen to the radio, I don't have an ipod. The television is on hgtv.

What gives??? Does anyone have this problem...and HOW TO TURN IT OFF!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:16PM

Whenever I have that problem I just think of my favourite hymn...oh...errrmmmm....

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:46PM

Now that I'm ex-mo I add the words "in bed" at the end of each line.

Posted by: absolutelyunsure ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:51PM

Funny...when I was a kid and we were being too distracting to the congregation during sacrament, my dad told us to read the hymn titles and add in the bathtub. We sat still, but it was hard to keep the giggles in.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:52PM

Praise to the man...in the bathtub, sure puts a different twist on that song.

Posted by: absolutelyunsure ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:57PM

it still makes me laugh...one that always got me was "what glorious scenes mine eyes behold" in the bathtub

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 04:16PM

Sometimes for me hearing the end of the song helps. My brain will repeat the catchy part of the tune over and over but never hit the end of the song. For example, I'll go look the song up on youtube and listen to it in it's entirety. Sometime that helps.

I wonder if some Jazz like John Coltrane would help? It's less repetitive and doesn't get stuck.

At least up the quality of what is in there - Justin Beiber & Mormon hymns could drive anyone to the madhouse!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:14PM

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes for me hearing the end of the song
> helps.

One of the first things I learned as a psych major in grad school is that human beings naturally seek closure. The TA drew a partial circle on the board . . . but the ends did not meet. They were a couple of inches apart. He asked us what the figure was.

Of course, we all said it was a "circle." FAIL. It wasn't. Our eyes and our minds automatically completed the figure to MAKE it a circle. He said that, as humans, we are constantly trying to make sense of our world by finishing incomplete situations.

For example, when we hear a song on the radio but turn off the car in the middle of the music, our minds can go into a running loop ALL DAY LONG. The tune plays in our head over and over while we psychologically try to make it complete.

That could be happening to the OP. I think it's a fascinating theory. But I have absolutely no idea how to overcome the phenomenon. What unfinished business do you have in your life right now?

;o)

Posted by: gnosticguru ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:45PM

Shannon, I think you're right about "unfinished business". At random times over the past 3 years I've had "Come Away to the Sunday School" running through my head. It gets VERY annoying, to say the least. (Maybe it was the Spirit, trying to tell me come back to church? I actually thought that, until I came to my senses:D) I finally came to the conclusion that it won't stop until I find closure and formally resign. Thanks for reinforcing that conclusion. I suppose I'll find out soon.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 08:33PM

I don't think I've ever been without a song in my head, ever, from the time I was a kid. I guess I'm just used to it.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:26PM

Yeah but Bieber and hymns?!?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 08:41PM

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 08:52PM

Song wars. The only way to get rid of a song that is stuck in your head is to pawn it off on somebody else. In college, I once had "John Jacob Jinglehimer (sp) Schmidt" stuck in my head for a week. I sang it in front of a buddy of mine while drinking. Forgot about it. Two days later I saw him on campus and he was whistling it. Bwaahaahaahaahaa!

As long as it's a good song enjoy. If not, you have to give it to somebody else.

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 08:56PM

I had this song stuck in my head for over a month about a year ago. My wife came very close to killing me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2kgV62ivo

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:07PM

Everything in these two movies. The first is an odd little thing but much better than you would think.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361411/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116250/

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:10PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 10:49PM by Beth.

Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:10PM

Just "turn it off" like a light switch.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:47PM

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:35PM

I sometimes have this happen to me as well. But then again I also have OCD. Things tend to go round and round over and over in an OCD brain.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:45AM

I've had songs stay in my head for weeks. It can happen even if I just read the song title, without hearing the actual song. A evil friend of mine knows this, and occasionally delights in calling me up and singing something really awful, like a Brady Bunch song, just to get me started. (Not to worry, I have ways of retaliating:)).

Sometimes it helps me to listen to the song from start to finish, over and over and over until I just can't stand another play. It seems to make my brain so sick of the song that it stops playing there, too.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 01:02AM

I get a song stuck in my head now and then. Sometimes it's irritating, esp if it's a song I'm not that crazy about.

Susan

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 02:47AM

I just try not to worry about it, because the less you worry the faster it goes away. The more you think about how annoying it is, the longer it hangs out. The mind likes to play games with us!

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 02:56AM

Pretty much all the time for me. Drives me crazy sometimes. At other times, though, it fades to the background. I haven't figured out how to flip the switch on command, but I can usually at least "change the channel" by listening to something I like.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.