Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: aarondoxey ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:37PM

So.. I kind of want to let these poor elders come over. I feel for them. I've been in their shoes. Lord knows they need something to do here in Colorado, where I'm sure there aren't many converts coming in.

So my question to you all is, what should I talk with them about? I thought about printing out the familysearch results on Joseph Smith and telling them to explain to me how it was okay doctrinally, and ethically, to marry all those women in secret, lie about it, break the law, and use his position of power to manipulate 14 year old girls into getting into bed with him...

Any other ideas? I am a little pissed since I asked for no contact in my resignation letter, and I also chided the bishop who was notified after I resigned and has started sending me spam emails about the ward cleanup activities in my area. I've heard stories on here about TSCC not leaving ex-mos alone, but now I'm getting my first real taste of it. Part of me feels like I should let these missionaries over, if only to try and plant some seeds of doubt, so maybe one day they can find their way out of the cult, and be as blissfully happy as I am!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:39PM

Maybe you'll want to lead off with a discussion about how the cult ignores their own 11th Article of Faith...

You can challenge them to un-baptism at the end of the first discussion.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:42PM

IMO the 3 "silver bullets" are:

- Book of Abraham is clearly a fraud.

- Joseph Smith's polyandry & teenage wives and the havoc it caused in their lives

- The temple ceremony - clearly plagiarized from the Mason's. It is also very clear that the mason's didn't get the information from Adam with a minor study of masonic history.

I find the Book of Mormon is too easily muddled by apologists because the topic is so broad and there is so much pseudo-archeology that they reference.

It's up to you if you want to talk to them or not. I would probably do it.

Date: July 26, 2012 05:53PM

I agree with your silver bullets.. The Masonry stuff was actually what got me started on my journey out, and it's probably where I did the most research. I think I'll definitely bring that up.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 06:17PM

Keep them busy for as long as possible to prevent them from bothering folks like me.

Date: July 26, 2012 06:19PM

Me too! LOL!

Date: July 26, 2012 06:21PM

I fear for the missionaries much more than I fear for you were you to cross paths...

Date: July 26, 2012 06:25PM

The only thing that would happen is they would learn some chiasmus:

xyz's doG is more powerful than Mormon god.
More than Mormon god's is the power of xyz's doG.

Date: July 26, 2012 07:23PM

That's so beautiful.

Sniff.

It must be prophetic. How could you know about chiasmus and palindromes and use them together so effectively?!?!? xyz is twoo!

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 06:23PM

I'm jealous. It's been about two months since I sent in my letter, and over a month since An Invitation. Despite an attempt to contact the local bishop via Facebook and an additional email to the COB, I've had no confirmation or attempts to visit me and change my mind. Guess nobody cares. I was only a lowly, broke convert anyway...maybe they checked my tithing records and decided I wasn't worth the trouble. =P

Date: July 26, 2012 06:33PM

Ah man. I know how you feel. I had ZERO contact, or even indication of any kind of concern from people who I thought were my friends after I left. But for some reason, after sending in my resignation, I'm getting all kinds of unwanted contact, and though I thought it would be nice to just feel like people cared about me enough to try and reach out, this contact just feels impersonal, and is really leaving a bad taste. It's obvious that I'm just a name on a list that's being passed around and added to email groups. Real classy LDS, real classy!

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 08:56PM

That's the thing though...I moved so I didn't expect any more contact from people I went to church with, but I have had ZERO contact since sending in my resignation other than the form letter from Member Records.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 07:16PM

Talking to the missionaries if frequently like talking to a recording. They don't hear you, and they mechanically spit out whatever the current sales pitch is. Doesn't matter what the situation is; one spiel fits all. They think they know everything they need to know, even though they know very little. And they simply suggest I do stuff I've already done over and over and somehow I can feel the spirit and magically become a good mormon again.

No, despite the mantra, a mission is not like college. A "kid" with a couple years of college is a lot brighter and communicable than most of these guys.

I don't mind entertaining them if they want to be human, but if they're simply being puppets/dummies of the church, I'll just keep saying "no" until they move on....

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 07:41PM

You could tell them that because of the issues that caused you to leave the church, you would never be allowed to speak or teach. That unless you changed your views convincingly, you'll never be allowed into the temple. Because of this, it would be hardly worth paying any kind of tithing.

So, dear mishies, what would the church want with a person like me?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 07:41PM

This is exactly how they get people. People feel sorry for them, or they think the Mormons are so nice and they just can't say, "No," to them.

I guess I find it difficult to understand why any missionaries need to be spoken to when a resignation letter has been sent in.

I couldn't be bothered.

You know that anything said will only be met with them bearing their testimony - no matter what evidence you present.

I'd just give them some milk and cookies, keep religion off the table and give them a break from their labours.

Posted by: politicaljunkie ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 07:50PM

Sit the missionaries in front of a computer and tell them you will talk with them after they have completed watching...

"Top 10 Mormon Problems Explained"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ac_fLUHiBw

Date: July 26, 2012 07:53PM

Or just pause after each point & discuss. That would be awesome.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 08:10PM

Sit them down, pour them some lemonade, then have them read this

to you, out loud.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,580020

It's hot off the presses here at RfM, and it was written by a former missionary.

Then they can read this one to you.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,580497

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 07:12AM by canadianfriend.

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 03:02AM

Ask them how they feel about giving people the milk before the meat, how they lie to get people baptized as fast as possible. Shouldn't everyone know what they are getting into?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.