Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 11:08PM

Because such protests WORK.

In 2010 Target stores became the target of protests similar to those now being focused on Chick-fil-a. Target had donated to anti-gay causes and gays raised hell.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20011983-503544.html

Now, Target just unveiled a gay wedding registry!

http://lezgetreal.com/2012/07/gay-wedding-registry-someone-finally-got-it/comment-page-1/

The article links to stories about target now selling shirts to benefit gay marriage and cards for gay marriages.

While we may not be able to change the mind of the bigoted owner of Chick fil a, lots of other companies will see the hot water Target and Chick-fil-a landed in. Most companies simply do not want to be in the center of such controversies, so most will think twice about their contributions to anti-gay causes.

Yes, gays exercising their right to free speech does frighten many.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: no-mo-mo ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 11:22PM

This one will backfire.

Date: July 26, 2012 11:23PM

You can find out what "back fire" really means.

This is really a last pathetic stand of the bigots. They are desperate for SOMETHING to rally behind because they know that demographics and the rapid social change are against them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 11:25PM by MJ.

Date: July 27, 2012 12:56AM

That's why those two paragons of virtue, Rahm Emmanuel and Thomas Menino, had to eat crow recently and walk back their threats to use unconstitutional authority to block Chik-fil-A's business.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:20AM

Whoooo Hoooooo, I bet you that you are just, just so titillated that a whole 2 people have backed away from what they said, yeah, a real victory for your side!

But we all know what you will be eating soon, and it ain't crow!

http://www.usatoday.com/LIFE/usaedition/2012-04-09-Homophobia-psychology---_ST_U.htm

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 02:51AM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 03:01AM

Ewwwww. BKP in chaps with depends (TM) showing through!

Date: July 27, 2012 03:08AM

This is the sort of outfit I bet BKP would pick as he came flaming out of the closet:

http://loridyan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/dameedna460.jpg

Apologies to Dame Edna

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 09:30AM

I think Boyd K-K-Kiss mah Pucker would just come screaming out of the closet as his One True Self:

http://www.fancydressball.co.uk/big_images1/happy-halloweenie-costume-4007265.jpg

Date: July 27, 2012 09:33AM

Though I would love to do that costume for Halloween some time

Date: July 27, 2012 10:01AM

LOL!

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 10:16AM

Menino didn't eat crow. He stands by his statements. Hence the "I'm exercising my constitutional right of free speech, just like they are."

He's fully in his right to strongly suggest they look elsewhere, and that's what his original letter said. There was nothing in his letter that stated don't bother applying for a permit, you won't get one. He stated that their viewpoint wouldn't be welcome here. He's right.

Gay marriage is legal here. It has been for years. Bigots are called out. They're perfectly welcome to their beliefs, but their right to express their beliefs end when they decide to actively push to limit the rights of others (as CFA has, donating money to particular hate groups).

It's one of the joys of New England. We may be a stodgy lot, perhaps a bit too conservative in our traditions, but we're direct and say what we mean. It tends to be called rudeness by those who don't understand us, but it's honest and straight forward.

Aside from the weird Boston quirk that chains tend to struggle here in general. Without a hardcore following, Chick-fil-a won't do well here in the city. Way too bad of a reputation coming in to survive.

Date: July 27, 2012 10:51AM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 07:53AM

"You can find out what "back fire" really means."

is this raymond in disguise? I really wonder about "straight" people that would like to see a whole segment of the population be discriminated against.

I didnt think it was correct for the city to not allow CFA to open...but i say when they do open...protests and show them that "power to the people" can still work!

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 11:32PM

every day a bigot goes to the cemetary and a kid turns 18 and eligible to vote, wondering what the hell was their problem.

there is an entire generation that has grown up among a gay populace and peers and, (sshhhh... they're just like the negros. What is your problem, Dad, with my friend Lionel?)

sadly, there is still a huge chuck of America that can't realize that they've already lost, and that they look like quaint jerks to their grandchildren. Because they are quaint jerks.

Too bad the BSA is among those unaware that they have already lost. But then, nothing exceeds like excess.

I lived through school desegregation in the Deep South in the 60's. This is deja vu all over again. Using the Bible to make it right. All over again.

Date: July 27, 2012 09:32AM

+1.

Agreed.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 10:29AM

I hope you don't mind I just used pieces of your post in an argument on FB..

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:15AM

I think that allowing gay people the right to have a wedding registry is an attack on all normal wedding registries throughout the country.

Date: July 27, 2012 12:17AM

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:27AM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:28AM

For behold, the cheap gifts thy register for before thy holy marriage is sacred unto the Lord of Hosts.

For a man should register with the woman and should act as if he cares when he clearly does not.

But a man shall not register with another man - for that is an abomination. Like we discussed earlier when talking about eating lobsters and playing football and unruly teenagers.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 12:26AM

I doubt the powers that be at Target changed any of their opinions, they just realized they were missing out on $$$ and figured they would make more by seeming less bigoted to avoid boycotts and having more people sign up for/shop from their registries.

Yes I'm a cynic and I think just about anything any company does is to increase the money in their pocket.

BUT it is nice if the affect of that is less $$ in the pockets of the anti gay causes...tho they may just find a more creative way to fund them without their name tied in. See, cynic. I (partially) blame the morg.

Date: July 27, 2012 12:29AM

Maybe the powers that be have not changed their minds, but they are no longer using the corporation as a weapon against gays. Instead they are using the corporation to help gays.

Disarming the bigots works for me.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:24AM

If you don't like a corp's politics, don't patronize them. I don't buy Ben & Jerry's for instance.

All the homosexual groups are doing is bringing Chik-fil-A more free publicity. I hear of people willing to go miles out of their way to eat at a Chidk-fil-A, now. The nearest one to me is 17 miles away on the other end of the city but I'll go there.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:26AM

http://www.usatoday.com/LIFE/usaedition/2012-04-09-Homophobia-psychology---_ST_U.htm

And as far as I know, the politicians wanting to stop the expansion of cfa are STRAIGHT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 02:28AM by MJ.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:32AM

I didn't say Emmanuel and Menino (et al ... there are probably others, those are just the most famous) were homosexual. They're just power-abusing political thugs jumping on the trendy bandwagon. Not the sort of people I'd want on MY side but apparently the homosexual lobby will take whatever support it can get.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:33AM

Obama is also apparently against homosexual "marriage" (depending on what day you ask him), so I guess he's a bigot too.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:35AM

And you have a problem with that?

That is what separates him from bigots, his OPEN MIND and willingness to CHANGE IT when he learns that he is wrong. You should try it some time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 02:38AM by MJ.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:34AM

Wow, that's fucked up even coming from you.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:55AM

The modern 21st century Fascism.

Date: July 27, 2012 02:57AM

Sorry, but with that you have shown that it is you that is the closet queen bully.

You really should come out of the closet, it really is better to live an authentic life.

BTW, gays didn't pick the fight with CFA, CFA picked the fight by donating to anti-gay bullies, becoming bullies in the process. Gays standing up to such bullies is self defense, not bulling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 03:00AM by MJ.

Date: July 27, 2012 09:35AM

no-mo-mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The modern 21st century Fascism.

...???

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 03:36AM

no-mo-mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but apparently the homosexual lobby
> will take whatever support it can get.

And that's the way it is. We'd like to score 100%, but 51% is a start.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 03:11AM

So there's going to be a bubble of fat rednecks with diabetes in 10 years around the time all states can no longer discriminate against gays (I'm guessing).

Another decade and most CEOs and almost all of the 15 will be dead or drooling into their jammies.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 09:18AM

So... people who are against discriminating gays are like people who killed Jews, Gypsies and GAYS... Ok, then.

Date: July 27, 2012 10:39AM

Apparently no-mo-mo is another one of those idiots who never paid attention in grade school history class.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 10:46AM

Yeah... I noticed that... Nazis were not known for being gay friendly...

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 08:01AM

Most of my FB friends are now boycotting, and they are spread from coast to coast. No doubt their networks of friends are doing the same thing.

My observation is Chick-fil-a is in a definite minority on this, except in the South where they are HQ'd. More than anything, I think their stance reflects provincial thinking. Old ideals die hard in the South.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 09:59AM

No kidding, my god, they're still fighting the civil war down here.

I didn't see reinactments of the indian wars when I lived out west but seriously???????

You lost- get over it and move on.

Oh and quit waving your damn bibles around like it's some kind of f***ing constitutional ammendment.

It a stupid book of fairy tails, with extremely questionable moral lessons.

Seriously someone needs to write a new bible and pull it out of some burning bush to get them to evolve morraly and ethically.

Whole thing makes me hate religion

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 08:06AM

It's sad to see how anti-gay people spew accusations here.

I had a TBM friend, who was extremely anti-gay, come around when he saw a gay friend of mine pass away and his lover was denied the right to visit him in the last few weeks of his life and take care of his funeral. The TBM family of that dying friend REFUSED to let his lover come near him...even at his deathbed.

Does it really have to take a heartbreaking experience like this to turn an anti-gay person around and see what they are doing to gay people?

Date: July 27, 2012 09:37AM

In my lifetime, yes.

I hope that will not be the life experience of those young enough to be my children.

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 09:36AM

We haven't gone to chikfila for two years now. Their chicken is good. Too bad they support discrimination against non traditional families.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 10:46AM

...I have already been boycotting them for years. Their Xian mission statement and not being open Sundays was enough for me. Make me a chicken sandwich on Sunday and shut the %$#@ up, bigot.

Mission statement: "To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us." What a bunch of nonsense.

Date: July 27, 2012 10:53AM

That's why they serve genetically-modified poultry in their stores ... LOL!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 10:50AM

I have never understood the anti-gay sentiment or why it's so important to some people to not allow others to live the way they want so long as it's not hurting anyone else. It's just un-American. I don't get it, and I never will.

I'll never understand the snarling hatred for people different from them either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 10:54AM by Makurosu.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.