Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:11PM

This may seem like a silly question. But....we've been trying coffees and teas here and there. We have no experience in this and we are discovering what we like and don't like. We have decided that we want to buy a Keurig, but we don't have the first clue about which is the best. Why the difference in prices? Which do you own, which do you think is best, and why? This is something we only want to buy once!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:13PM

I don't have a Keurig, so I can't comment on that, but we do have 2 Nespresso machines and traded our old DeLonghi for them. I really love the system. The coffee it makes couldn't be better, fresher or easier.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:19PM

Here's a link: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/chemex-8-cup-coffee-maker/s682279 (I got it as a gift, so this isn't an ad for Crate and Barrel).

I loved the simplicity of this coffee maker. Before I was a convert to the church, I had been drinking coffee since I was fourteen (my parents are from Europe). My mom is a huge coffee snob so I learned early. It was one of the most excruciatingly difficult habits to give up.

In addition, I purchased coffee beans and ground them myself with a coffee grinder (also a gift). I also liked drinking coffee with a bit of creamer.

P.S. I had to give up coffee a few months ago due to health issues that have been resolved by the absence of caffeine in my system (yeah, I HATED to tell any of my mo-friends about that one). But I learned about what was causing my issues from nevermo docs here in Colorado. Oh well. My issues are not found in a lot of peeps, though. So drink away. And enjoy!

Date: July 28, 2012 02:24PM

That looks really interesting. My hubby and I have discovered that with the exception of mocha, we do not have the same taste in coffee. That's one reason we were thinking the Keurig would be perfect. We don't have to agree on anything but how good it feels to be "allowed" to drink coffee!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:27PM

That's the beauty of the Nespresso and probably the Keurig. YOu can choose whatever flavor you want. Also, decaf is so good and easy, you can meter your caffine easier.

Posted by: betrayed565 ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 03:54AM

Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to trying out the Chemex.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:27PM

Coffee for Keurigs is quite expensive....unless you use the cup you fill yourself. Just a plain old cheap drip pot does it for me.

Posted by: Betrayed565 ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:28PM

My office has a Keurig, they are nice machines but the per-serving price is expensive, especially for teas, and tea is so easy to make without one of these machines. The novelty of the machine wore off pretty quickly at work. And I actually prefer the Starbucks instant Via coffee over the Starbucks Keurig k-cups - to me the flavor is just much better. You mentioned this is new to you - I personally would recommend holding off a bit and contine to try stuff before you make the plunge, just to be its something you really want before you drop a lot of money on one. But you really can't beat them for single - serving convenience.

I'm new to coffee and tea too and I am really enjoying it;)
Recently ordered coffee while at breakfast with TBM family and I got all kinds of funny states from my nieces;)

Date: July 28, 2012 02:34PM

You might have a good point here. My husband really loves espresso. He wants to be able to make it at home. We may be best off waiting and experimenting.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 03:08PM

A tiny filter for your own coffee is sold. Don't ask me how to put it in though, cuz I had no clue on my bosses' Keurig.I prefer a plain drip coffee make- simple, inexpensive, and makes a decent cup of coffee. Plus the Keurig makes robot noises that I used to hear in my nightmares, lol.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 03:51PM

> Plus the Keurig makes robot noises that
> I used to hear in my nightmares, lol.

Hahaha! Thanks for saying that... I don't feel so bad and alone now. ;-)

(Horrible sound, isn't?)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 12:12AM

It sounds like the terrifying robots in Terminator: Salvation. That scares the peepee outta me.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 11:52PM

yes, funny noises but not a deal killer

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 07:11PM

I don't drink coffee, but my husband likes his DeLonghi espresso maker. He always uses espresso from the Italian grocery store. He's European and does not care for "American-style" coffee.

We use an electric kettle for tea. It also comes in handy for other times we need small amounts of boiling or hot water (instant oatmeal, cup of soup, etc.) My favorite hot tea is Irish Breakfast and my favorite iced tea is Luzianne (brew it hot and then chill it.)

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 12:56AM

Yes, we have a DeLonghi espresso maker. I got it off of Amazon for about $50.00 and it's a pretty good one, easy to use. I get my espresso from Starbucks.

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 07:28PM

i have a serious coffee habit, I drink three or four quad espressos a day from starbucks. My Keurig has never been used, and sits next to my krupps espresso maker, which is also rarely used...Just too much of a hassle especially when you have the starbucks iphone app, then you just plan your day around where the stores are located. If i did break down and make my own coffee, i still think that the Mr. Coffee, drip maker, and fresh beans are the best route.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 09:05PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 09:36PM

Starbucks is too expensive for a multi coffee a day habit. Making it at home is easy and much cheaper. I have a 10 dollar moka pot and a 20 dollar frother.I do got to Starbucks once in a while, but there are better things to do with 20 dollars a day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2012 11:30PM by bona dea.

Date: July 28, 2012 11:51PM

at costco, each k cup works out to be 50 cents per cup. However, the machine also comes with a reusable filter, which you can use with any kind of coffee you want. So no waste, and probably cheaper long run than a regular coffee machine

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 09:29PM

No clue on the Keurig, but the only thing I can tell you is that there is no such thing as buying a coffemaker "once." It will either break or it will get so disgusting that you *wish* it would break.

Date: July 28, 2012 09:33PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No clue on the Keurig, but the only thing I can
> tell you is that there is no such thing as buying
> a coffemaker "once." It will either break or it
> will get so disgusting that you *wish* it would
> break.

Good point!

Posted by: visiting exmo ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 10:33PM

I have the Keurig Platinum. It has more brewing options/sizes. I buy my coffee from the Keurig dot com web site. You can sign up for email coupons and they give discounts to frequent customers, as well as allow you to accumlate points to buy brewers/products at reduced prices. I do like the Keurig just because it's easy to make a cup of coffee. ...I still don't know how to use a regular coffee pot.

If you do buy a Keurig, please take the following suggestions to heart, as they will prolong the life of your brewer.

1) Use filtered water. It will decrease the amount of mineral/calcium build-up inside your machine.

2) Using a toothpick, poke a hole in the center of the top of the K-cup before putting it into your machine, especially if you live in a high altitude area. This will prevent the coffee grounds from shooting up and clogging the brewer.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 11:27PM

Have a look at this vintage short film on coffee brewing. As I was growing up my parents and grandparents used several of these brewing techniques over time.

This is Coffee (1961)

http://archive.org/details/ThisisCo1961

I know you asked for advice on choosing a Keurig model. If you're certain this is your preference I would suggest a higher end model with adjustable brewing temperature. I purchased their single cup model and was never satisfied with the taste after several months and different types of coffee.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the film.

BcE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2012 11:31PM by Bicentennial Ex.

Date: July 28, 2012 11:48PM

LOL, i was in exactly the same boat a week ago. We actually bought a Keurig on Monday, and guess what, I love it!!! Very convenient. I just started drinking coffee about 3 weeks ago. Very convenient the Keurig Machine. No wasted coffee, various options. You can program it to turn on at a certain time each day so it's ready to brew a cup for breakfast or for your ride into work. It's great. Some people like the machines that can steam milk and whatever, so if you like lattes, probably not the best for you, but for me, I just love a simple cup of coffee. If so, this is your machine.

Date: July 29, 2012 03:12AM

You guys are awesome! It's a whole new world we are just beginning to explore.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 03:56AM

French Press. It's the absolute best way to brew coffee.

Posted by: Beth (NLI) ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 01:25PM

Bodum: http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/prodlist/256/

Don't freak about the prices. You can pick them up at Target, etc.

I have a red Brazil: http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/10938-01US/?navid=262 but I paid $15 bucks for it at Wegman's.

No filters. Fast brewing time. All you pay for is the coffee.

I also vote for these guys: http://www.desertsuncoffee.com/

Seems pricey, but it's fair trade (IOW Juan Valdez can feed his family).

Go with whole bean, and you don't need a coffee grinder -- a blender will do the trick.

You save lotsa $ over the long run, and it tastes divine.

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 01:05PM

I just started drinking coffee myself. I've been thinking about buying a Keurig. I've seen some knock-offs that use the same k-cup things, but one thing that is leading me to buy one is most packages I've seen come with a ton of "samples". My boyfriend got one and only one person in their place drinks coffee. The stuff it came with lasted them about 6 months. It also makes tea and cocoa as well. I was reading this thread as well because I'm trying to decide if I want a regular drip machine or spend the extra money to get a Keurig mini...

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 01:20PM

I purchased a Keurig for my husband and we used it for about 6 months. The coffee isn't as good as when we use an old fashioned coffee maker or a French Press. Two days ago I purchased a $20 Mr. Coffee Maker and both of us have been shocked at how much better the coffee tastes. We buy whole beans and grind them just before brewing. The $150 Keurig is now in need of a new home...along with all of the unused K-cups(and the K-cup holder)that we decided we didn't like. We kept buying new ones hoping to find one we loved....what a waste of money. When will I stop following the herd?

Posted by: betrayed565 ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 01:33PM

I had the same experience with the Keurig, and the cocoa especially tastes bad. Can't beat fresh grounds in a simple drip machine, and tea & cocoa are so easy to make without a fancy machine.

Date: July 29, 2012 01:51PM

Haha! I think we had just decided this morning to go with a Keurig. Now I'm rethinking.....hmmmm......

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 02:49PM

as I'm drinking my french pressed coffee, I urge you to get one! It's cheaper AND it IS the best way to brew coffee. Honest.
If you go to a Starbucks, and have time to sit and enjoy, order a french press and try it out! I suggest buying whole bean and getting a grinder. Just remember for a french press, the coffee must be ground as coursely as possible!

Thanks Beth for the links to Bodum, I was going to do that, but was lazy last night.

wow...it sounds like I work for Bodum, but I don't. I just LOVE my french press!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 02:52PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.