Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hadenuf ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 12:15PM

Am about half way through. The sections on the sufferings of the handcart companies at the hands of BY...not to mention the deception and ruthless scheme to save the church money are simply horrifying.

Also the account of the Mountain Meadows massacre is so hard to read. It tears at my heartstrings! More diabolical doings of BY. How on earth can members view him as a prophet, Man of God, etc? Let's be honest --- he gave the orders to murder innocent people, even women and chidren. Seems to me he was taking orders from Satan himself.

So.....given all this and more of his evil deeds.....how is it possible that the President of TSCC could have seen him in a vision in 1918 (not sure of date) supposedly in the celestial kingom along with other prophets of old as recorded in D&C?

You can download this book in iPad as a PDF file. Worth the read.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: adamwashisgod ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 12:17PM

Perhaps he was communing with his God - Father Adam.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 09:51PM

I have been studying and reading about MMM for the last five years.

The thing that amazes me is the church's attempts at justifying MMM.

The most common way to try to justify MMM is to change the subject to the Haun's Mill incident in Missouri, where mormons were killed in a government sanctioned action by the state militia.

I have, also heard,

"Nobody really knows what happened..."

"Well, if you watch old westerns you would understand why the lds got frustrated and killed them, because that's is what happens in the movies."

When they try to justify MMM, I ask them how they could justify any murder. They never answer.

The 19th Wife was a great book and a pretty accurate reporting of the truth around BY's actions during that period.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 03:05AM

I said something along the lines of:

Are you honestly trying to compare a mutually armed conflict that resulted in 17 dead Mormons with the cold blooded murder of 120 men, women and children who had been promised protection?

That person didn't post on that thread again.

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 10:05PM

I just saw someone posted about this a few days ago and they mentioned the PDF file. So I took the last three days to read it on my phone.

It is amazing that Mormonism has lasted this long considering that all of these horrible details were known to the public. I am blown away that Mormons think they are being righteous when actually they are basically worshiping "Satan" (Joseph smith and Brigham young).

The book brought me to tears many times. The way these people, especially the women, suffered is...I'm at a loss for words.

I was wondering what TBMs think of Ann Eliza Young but I couldn't find much on google.

I checked out her Wikipedia in which she is to have married a third time, instantly stopped her crusades against polygamy, had multiple affairs with local townsmen and then divorced again. I was wondering if that has been altered by a TBM to make her look bad. Regardless, she is still a hero to me.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 10:13PM

Fanny Stenhouse wrote another similar book, which is also good. Scans of both these books can be found at Archive.org. I recommend the DJVU files as the PDFs are a little slow. An app called EbookDroid (for Android) can read those.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 11:28PM

Mormons would simply put these women into the category of anti-Mormons who left because they were angry, bitter and offended.

Posted by: a-no-nfor-sure ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 11:48PM

Those early, bitter "anti-Mormon" women who escaped
were lucky they made it out alive.
Didn't I read somewhere that
during the expansion of slc and provo
heads/corpses were found?

I could be wrong, but I swear I read
that blood atonement was regularly practiced.
I think one of the early Utah temples actually has a blood atonement altar....
But it could be another faith-demoting rumor.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 11:50PM by freenow.

Date: July 30, 2012 12:32AM

According to wife no. 19 and other sources blood atonement was very real. Have you heard the speeches by Brigham young about it? He states that when Jesus says love your brother as much as yourself it means to love your brothers enough to kill them to save their souls. Back then if you apostisized you would be lucky to make it out alive.

Please not this is paraphrasing so you would need to look it up yourself for a more accurate account.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 03:38AM

I hope I live long enough to see BYU coeds take down that statue of Brigham Young on the BYU campus.

Joseph Smith was a pig. Brigham Young was a monster.

Anagrammy

Posted by: a-no-nfor-sure ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 03:49AM

I daydream about it all the time.

Here's my fantasy:

I turn on the news and see a helicopter view of
rabid Exmormon BYU apostate students
descending on the statue of Bring'em Young...

Cut to a helicopter view of thousands of apostates
flooding into temple square....

Within minutes, both statues, as seen on the split screen,
are toppled, ala saddam hussein/paterno.
The end.
It's a lovely, lovely dream......

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 12:45PM

Date: July 30, 2012 12:53PM

You know what really makes me sick? The latest trend among LDS young mothers is to name their baby boy, Brig, after Brigham Young.

Hey ladies! Might want to do a little research on someone before you name your child!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 01:31PM

We just need to change the name on the gate (Temple Square) to

"The Church of Blood Atonement of Latter-day Saints,"

And it can then be a sort of Mormon "Holocaust" Museum.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 09:57AM

Yes, both Eliza and Fanny talk about the Blood Atonements in their books. I was horrified when I realized that they actually did happen. I always thought it had to be just a rumour. But it's not. They happened.

Posted by: pathdocmd ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 07:31PM

Wife No. 19 and Tell it All were two of the books that I read during that period of voracious reading that many (or most) of us went through when we were figuring it all out for the first time. These books made me so furious and emotional. Reading these books made me realize for the first time that besides just being untrue, the church and BY had caused a tremendous amount of pain and suffering in the world. It was a major paradigm change for me.

Yesterday my wife and I were at a restaurant talking about this very subject. I don’t live in the Moridor, so I didn’t feel the need to whisper. We were going on and on about how bad BY treated people, especially his wives. Yeah, you guessed it. Mormons were right behind me. We had been ripping on Brigham for at least 10 minutes when my wife noticed their celestial smiles (garments). My wife wrote me a note on a napkin while I was going on about how BY didn’t have a single attribute that would be considered “Christ-like”. I was a bit uncomfortable for a moment, because I know how offensive that must have been for them, but we both thought it was funny. Hopefully, they will go home and try to prove me wrong through “study and prayer”, but mostly study.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.