Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 03:09AM

Good morning brothers and sisters. It is an honor and privilege to speak to you today. For those of you who don't know me my name is Brother Black. I have been asked today to speak to you on the topic of having a change of heart.

I would like to share with you the conversion story of a man named Mike. Mike was a good guy who lived in a big family with four sisters and three brothers. Mike had a lot going for him. He was a senior in high school, a starting running back on the football team, he had a girlfriend, a car, good grades, and life was good. One day as he was arriving home from school he was shocked to see an ambulance in his driveway. He ran inside to see what had happened. What he saw he will never forget. His little four-year-old brother Jeff was lying on the ground motionless and blue, and the family was crying. Apparently Jeff had decided to take a bath on his own and had drown in the process. The next year was a tough time for Mike and his family.

A few years later, Mike began to become pensive about the death of his little brother. He began wondering things like, “what happens to us when we die?” and “will I ever see my brother again?” Mike began to search for answers. Soon he found the answers to these questions. You see Mike had a friend at work that was different than most of the other people there. The friend was a guy who was obviously very religious and acted differently than others. For example, he didn't drink alcohol and he wouldn't use the Lord's name in vain. He prayed a lot and wasn't afraid to do it in public. The friend's name was Jared and he started to teach Mike about his faith.

Not long after this Mike decided to join the church his friend belonged to. Excited about his decision, he went to tell his family the good news. But to his horror his family did not approve of his decision. His father became angry and his mother began to cry. His brothers and sisters were also upset with him. His father gave him an ultimatum. “If you join that church don't expect to be welcome in this house!”

Mike knew what he had to do. He had to do what he thought was right. He joined the church. Many trials and challenges followed, but Mike endured. His family ostracized and persecuted him, especially his father, but Mike held the course. He followed his conscience.

Now Brothers and Sisters I think you all agree that Mike's actions were admirable. I think you would all agree that Mike is a hero for standing up for what he thought was right. I think you would all agree that he did the right thing by standing up for what he believed in.

Anyway, that's the story of Mike's conversion to Islam from Mormonism.

Do you still think his actions were admirable? Do you still think he's a hero? Do you still think he did the right thing? You probably don't, because you weren't admiring him for standing up for what he believed in. You were admiring him for standing up for what you believe in.

This wasn't a story of Mike's change of heart. It was the story of your change of heart.

In the name of Jesus Smith amen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 03:51AM

I want to be a visitor at that sacrament meeting that day!!!

At the end of your talk I'll applaud after saying amen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 03:51AM by bingoe4.

Posted by: James ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 05:29AM

If you ever get a chance to give this talk, I want to be there. I don't care where it is, nor when it is...I want to be there!

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 06:15AM

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 06:23AM

During EQ, I think, weeks before I left, they mentioned faith being more important than science bladibla.

The teacher (for want of a better term) asked me a question to help me confirm his statement and I solemnly replied "yes I believe this to be true. Like the Prophet said: 'Tell me not how much you have studied, rather tell me how far you have travelled'". I got lots of approving glances and the teacher asked me "That's beautiful! From which prophet is this quote?" taking out his pen to jot it down. I drily answered "Mohammed".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.