Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 05, 2012 02:22PM

So they tell me that the matter of my resignation must be handled locally and that the stake prez. and "my" bish. have been informed and that I'll be contacted. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but when I get the call from the bish he'll probably request a meeting with me. I will NOT give him the satisfaction. Enclosed also was the pamphlet inviting me back to "stand with the first presidency"...THAT is going in the shredder! Oh, and they told me that in light of the eternal consequences of my request, that I should pray and reconsider....whatever...not gonna happen...

Stay tuned boys and girls....

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 02:24PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: September 05, 2012 02:35PM

The Apostate Processing Unit at the COB must be back from their summer vacation, because I finally got my acknowledgement from them, too.

And now we wait.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 06, 2012 01:06AM

Yay! You are free stb!!!

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: September 05, 2012 02:43PM

The letter you got is standard. They send it out to everyone who sends in a resignation. In a short bit, you will get the second letter stating that you are, from their point of view, out.

As for them contacting the Bishop of your "home" ward, they will do so, but each Bishop handles things differently. Some state that you have to meet with them, some call, some show up randomly at your door, some just file the paperwork with no contact, some do nothing at all. You don't have to do anything at this point, including talk to them. You are legally out.

When I e-mailed in my resignation, I preempted the Bishop contact by e-mailing him (after looking him up on the church website where I still had an account) a copy of my resignation e-mail along with a note stating that I do not need to be contacted, and when he gets the paperwork from church HQ to go ahead and process it as quickly as possible. I was fortunate that he did so without any other comment other than to state that I had "done my homework".

Congratulations on your exit from the church! My your mind be ever free of the constraints of religion!

Date: September 05, 2012 05:44PM

Should the bishop randomly appear at my door (which is unlikely without asking me for directions as we live out in the country) I would state that there is nothing to discuss and would he please be on his way.....and my next musing deals with wondering who he or the SP would tell about my leaving. No body needs to know other than them. That would be the professional, ethical way to deal with it. The SP is a dentist and the bish is a doctor, so we'll see.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 05, 2012 03:42PM

Yup, I just got the same letter and pamphlet.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 05, 2012 06:31PM

Leave this phone message.

"Kindly process your paperwork immediately to show that I have resigned from your church. Do not contact me as I am a non-member. Thank you."

Date: September 05, 2012 09:57PM

Date: September 09, 2012 12:36AM

Thanks everyone!

Ron Burr

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 02:51AM

I will bring you some Polygamy Porter to celebrate.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 04:05AM

Congratulations! You were officially and legally resigned when the COB received your resignation letter. Anything that happens now is just Mormon red-tape, more made-up pseudo power mumbo-jumbo, with which you have no obligation to comply. They owe you, big-time, for all your time and money. You don't owe them any explanation. You are exercising your rights. Never tell them anything that you wouldn't want discussed many times in their meetings. What are those meetings called? They hold them early on Sundays, and they have an open discussion of all the "less actives" and apostates and members' personal problems.

I have a feeling that your bishop will find your house, and show up, with a counselor or the SP, unannounced, at 9:30 PM. Be prepared with what you want to do or say, or not say. The priesthood has no (fake) power over you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 04:07AM by forestpal.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:00AM

E-mail me Ranger......I'll make it down if possible!! Thanks!

Ron Burr

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 10:37AM

Remember, the most important part of the resignation process is
meeting with your bishop. The point of the meeting is for you
to convince the bishop that your resignation is the right thing
to do. Unless the bishop is convinced that resignation is right
for you you have to continue your membership.

Just kidding . . . but isn't that how they see it?

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 11:50AM

Remember, you are not in any way required to see *anybody* to further validate your request.

Posts about official name removal are my favourite and RfM's best.

Date: September 10, 2012 08:00PM

My bishop (whoever TF he is) may WANT to meet with me.....but wanting ain't gonna get him anywhere.....

Ron Burr

Date: September 11, 2012 05:24AM

Posted by: SanDiegoNoMo ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 08:17PM

Hi all,
I'm just curious about the "legal" part of resigning. I see references to that above. I understand the emotional reasons for wanting to resign, but people talk about "legally" out as well.

What makes the LDS different from any other religion in that regard? When I left, I just left. I personally felt no need to say anything to them.

I don't see any reason to go through the hassle of a formal resignation - they don't deserve any more of my time and energy than they already took from me. They don't hold any power over me. So, other than for emotional release (which I totally understand), why resign?

Thanks!

Posted by: Dr. Incovenants ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 03:11AM

I resigned about 20 years after my last attendance at a meeting. I did it because I no longer wanted to be counted as one of their members in any way.

Date: September 11, 2012 01:05AM

I held off resigning for quite a while (I didn't know such a thing was possible until I found out here). I've been inactive for over 40 years but after reading soooo many stories from many of you who felt liberated by resigning, I did it and yes, it feels great. I suspect there are some TBM's who know me well that may take issue with my doing it, given that my late father & mother were well loved and respected members of the Lethbridge Mormon community with decades of service in various callings. I did it for me and no one else. My relationship with my folks was wonderful and their example is a cornerstone to how I've lived my life and raised by family.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.