Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:21AM

Since I joined the board a few months ago, I have felt so welcomed. It is nice to feel like there are people, somewhere in the crazy world, who care about you.

Sometimes I stand on a mountain and look at the bustle of the city below me. Thousands of people going about their lives in a pattern of craziness. They look so small, so insignificant. They are ants beneath my feet.

I've been in a wierd place in my head this last few weeks. I just wanted to thank everyone on the board. This truly is a great community. People here make others feel significant again, they make them feel like they matter.

Thanks RfM. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:32AM

*Waves at Fidget!

You helped me feel comfortable! Don't forget it

Date: September 08, 2012 10:46AM

Aw, thanks mindlight :)

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 05:14PM

Ditto, my dear.

Date: September 09, 2012 05:32PM

:)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:38AM

I used to do the same thing in my younger days. I would ascend a mountain peak, and then sit and rest, gazing at the bustling valley below. It's a very peaceful practice, and it does lend needed perspective.

Date: September 08, 2012 10:47AM

The bigger the mountain the better the perspective.. I'm glad other people do this too :)

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:53AM

Date: September 08, 2012 11:24AM

A pixie? Lol :)

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 04:59PM

Having seen a picture - you're not too far off. No wings that I could see though.

Fidget your description of feeling significant is a great description of what RFM and you have done for me in a time I really needed it.

Date: September 08, 2012 05:49PM

You made me feel really welcome too bc. Isn't it nice that we have a place that we can go to talk. A place where we can have genuine friendships.

You guys are awesome! All of you have been helpful in my journey. Thank you so much.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 01:35PM

Have to agree with bc since I also saw a picture. That night was crazy, though, because I STILL didn't ever see flyboy's picture.

But yes, fidget, you bring a fun energy in your postings which I love reading. Thanks for being on RfM.

Date: September 09, 2012 02:02PM

Aw thanks toto! That was a crazy night! Hugs to cyber mom! :)

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:56AM

A hearty amen to your post, fidget. I really feel heard here, which is crucial at this pivotal time in my life. My friends--mostly nevermos--are wonderful but they can't understand what it's like to leave an organization that I loved from birth and gave everything to for 42 years. I plan to stick around for awhile; hopefully I can help others feel heard and supported, too.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 06:10PM

You're one of most favorite posters.

Date: September 08, 2012 06:14PM

Wow Jenn! Thank you, that means a lot. :D

Posted by: sometimes lurker ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 10:36PM

They're being nice to you. When they turn on you you won't be saying that. people on RFM can get really nasty.

Date: September 08, 2012 10:47PM

That's a little harsh, don't ya think?

Date: September 09, 2012 01:22PM

I don't think it is harsh at all, only accurate. You read this thing long enough you see all kinds of attacks on people for their attitudes and what they have said and done and their expressions and stuff. It is a board like any other, with really opinionated people who feel strongly about their experiences and won't see it through another person's eyes.I'm only saying. The longer Fidget posts the more she will risk being slapped for what she says. People are being nice now but from what I read there is a honeymoon period except for certain teflon people here who become the pets and heros of the web site.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 01:31PM

Thank you miss SS teacher. Oh, but this isn't Sunday school. This is the free exchange of opinions, ideas and life experience. Take it or leave it. Generally speaking no one is here to pander to others feelings. The bare naked truth along with criticism is what we were starved of while inside the bubble.

But not here.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 01:49PM

A-fucking-men.

Date: September 09, 2012 06:35PM

See?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:01AM

Fidget's already had some pretty nasty things said to her on RFM. She's just been mature enough not to take them too personally and appreciate the good with the bad. She didn't give appreciation for everyone agreeing with and adoring her universally, just with at least having a place where she is still seen as a significant person - which is very easy not to feel with TBMs once you leave.

Date: September 10, 2012 06:28AM

Thanks bc :)

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 11:01PM

So yeah, there are disagreements, but you don't get the fake niceness that you find in Mormonism.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 01:45PM

At least not yet!

However, I've had a post or two pulled by admin for breaking a board rule, so that's how we roll here.

This is a very honest place and I'm big enough and ugly enough to take a flaming here and there.

Nowadays I don't post so much as I'm throwing all my spare time into more worthwhile pursuits like sailing and cycling etc. Retirement is great without mormon meddling :-)

Briggy

Date: September 09, 2012 01:55PM

Have I been slapped? hmmm didn't notice

:P

added - YUP, I have !! speshall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 01:55PM by mindlight.

Date: September 09, 2012 01:56PM

Sometimes Lurker - Have we offended you?

Date: September 10, 2012 09:21AM

Ha! Good one! Deserved that!

Standing by what I said.

Date: September 09, 2012 07:26PM

See what? I don't understand your question
Could you please explain it for me?

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 07:39PM

I think that the support felt here with similar thinking or just the critical thinking is awesome. Agree with me or don't agree with me, I don't give a rats a** anyway. Sotry to get on with life "sometimes lurker". This board rocks because people are looking for a scholarly way to learn when they have been told they are not allowed to all their years in mormonism. This is a taste of freedom for ex-mos.

It is nice to recover from mormonism without an apologist in the group throwing stupid comments or un-factual evidence into the discussion.

Posted by: snowyowl ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 11:56PM

I am SO glad to have found this board. No therapist could understand the post Mormon experience better than the many people who share their collective wisdom and experience here. A very valuable resource.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:09AM

I got slapped way more when I was a Mormon.

Then, I was threatened with my eternal salvation!

People here don't wield that kind of power. At least not over me.

There are some real butt heads that show up here. You can feed them, or not.

There are some really compassionate and loving people here. You can feed them, or not.

It's a place to come and let out all of your heart break that has been heaped on you in the name of Mormonism. It's a place that is desperately needed. I'm pretty secure in saying that way more good than harm has been done here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.