Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: toto ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 03:50PM

A couple of years ago, a long-distant friend of mine began posting interesting thoughts on FB concerning their disagreements with LDS doctrines and writings in the New Era and the Ensign. One of them attended a Women in the LDS Church conference at the University of Utah this past month and I went, "Whoa." So we began a dialogue.

My friend told me they've had issues with the p-hood for a long time, had left the church for a while only to slightly return because they felt they found like-minded individuals in the morg. But they also mentioned they still might not remain in the church. They're still undecided.

I plan on telling them my exit story just to give them another perspective outside of the church and that they're not alone in leaving, if they decide. We'll see what happens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 08, 2012 05:47PM

The fact that they are considering not staying is awesome. I hope that they will join all us apostates. I'm happy for you toto.

Date: September 09, 2012 01:14AM

You know, when I started reading their posts on FB and thinking, "Hey, are they questioning the church?" I immediately erased those hopes from my mind. But they kept posting such interesting opinions and feelings so I had to keep those wishes alive. I was blown away when she told me they'd left for a time and that they're still undecided whether to stay or not. They're trying to find a place in the church, like I did, but I hope rational thought will take over. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 01:35AM

Think back when you left. Oh, to have a friend who came into the light of truth like you did. It would have made the leaving a much better experience.

At the same time, one has to be so careful. It's thin waters to tread. Wanting to support, but afraid of over stepping. It's a difficult place to be.

I'm in the same place with some of my friends. I'm doing the flowers (for free, to show my support) for their sons Non-mormon wedding. I'm hoping to open the door just a bit wider. It pains me to see them doing the bidding of the Morg. They deserve so much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 01:36AM by Mia.

Date: September 09, 2012 01:39AM

Yeah, I was treading so lightly because I didn't want to rock the boat. But since she volunteered the idea she'd left, I feel I can now volunteer my exit story. Without strings. I hope it helps her and her husband.

I think that's awesome with how you're supporting your friends at their kid's wedding. I believe you are opening the door. Keep it up!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 01:51AM

I hope, and think you may be in a good situation.
It's wonderful to have people who are waking up and coming to the realization of the 'real truth'.

Hopefully they will show up here, and we can help you support them in their new found 'truth'.

One person or couple at a time. I would have given anything to have a friend that was out and knew the truth. I've had to find it all on my own without anyone in 'real life'.

I've done pretty good in spite of that. RFM has been a great help to me. I know i'm not alone.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 01:56AM

We care so much, and we are afraid of overstepping out bounds and ruining our relationships. If our friends leave, we know how difficult that is, and that they will probably have problems with the Mormons in their life. If our friends stay in the church, they may become marginalized because of their inactivity, and they will be told to avoid contact with US, the apostates. Either way, they will need our support.

I agree that your friends could benefit greatly by knowing your exit story! You would be telling your story, without telling them what to do.

I have a couple of loved ones who are showing signs of doubt. I am happy for them, but at the same time I know his TBM family will give them Hell, if they leave, and it might break up the couple, and it might hurt his business. Mormonism can ruin lives, but I believe it ruins your life more when you are in, than it does after you are out. All I can do is tell them is how much happier my children and I are now, and how much our lives have improved over the last 7 years. But, as for these loved ones, it is their choice to make...or is it?

What a complicated mess! Other churches let you just walk out the door, and join a different church, or go back and forth, or attend only on Christmas Eve and Easter, and the inter-faith marriages stay in tact, because religion should not be an issue in a good marriage. A happily married couple I know make a joke of Election Day, and try to keep each other from going to the polls, because every time they just cancel out each other's vote, one Democrat and the other Republican. Why can't couples be that way with Mormonism. It's a cult.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 01:58AM by forestpal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.