Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: citizen ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 04:05PM

Mine died to me when it became clear to me that the Church is false (Nephi, President Hinckley, my MP, etc.).

Nehor? Zeezrom? Boggs? Kidding :)

Now I really dig:

James Stockdale
Epictetus

I'm excited to find more...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 04:14PM

All of the folks here on rfm.......
Hitchens
Campbell
Sagan
Val avery
Michael Quinn
R. Packham
S. Benson
Friends who helped me see the truth.....
Too many more to list....
And anyone else who has struggled to break free from a "tribe".
These people are heroic.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 04:22PM

Right now, I have a lot of admiration for all the athletes who participated in the Paralympics and the people who work to make it all possible. Like the people who design all of the technological gadgets and those who provide other assistance that enables people to 'get out there.'

Posted by: lostman ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 04:28PM

Any person who knows you can only worship God when you fight tyranny and who is willing to show that belief through action.

Any person who understands that the policy of following the " brethren" is a result of the brethren not taking adequate care in their leadership, consequently they need to gain authority through intimidation instead of truth.

Any person who allows all those around them freedom to discover their life on their own terms, without a need to force a set of beliefs on others.

Any person who is willing to give up short term comfort for long term truth seeking, regardless of the consequence.

Any person who shows love and respect to a person that has no ability to repay the favor, and cannot help the giver of the respect and kindness move up the social ladder.

Any person who demonstrates a allegiance to the first law of moral and ethical living; "do onto others as you would have them do unto you".

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 04:34PM

My husband (stuckinzion) is my hero. He risked everything to save us all from the cult. He's so courageous.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 04:48PM

Ben Cohen, a straight, former pro. rugby player that has become a gay rights leader. He is working hard to eliminate homophobia in sports, stop bullying, "supported" fund raising for gay men's health issues (figure out why I put "supported" in quotes (grin))...

Ben has had absolutely no problem embracing his gay fans in ways that many straight men would not.

This man did not have to do what he did, does not have to do as much as he does and certainly does not have to do it in the way that he has.

Ben is an example of the type of person that I would call a hero of mine.

Other current heroes (someone that may get my post deleted, so not mentioned), Chris Kluwe, Brendon Ayanbadejo, The people that rioted at the Stonewall Inn in 1969...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 07:27PM

They were far from perfect, but they were great people. Losing them has been one of the most difficult things to go through.

Then my kids. Thanks to them for raising themselves while I was going through the worst years of my life.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 08:43PM

John Browning
Eugene Stoner
John Garand
Ronny Barret

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 09:40PM

Those are some high caliber folk.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 09:43PM

Two days away from the 11th, I am going to mention the FDNY.

I have numerous heroes whose names I can not mention for fear of embarrassing them, but who stood up to corruption, wherever they found it, their careers be damned.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 09:50PM

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 10:19PM

citizen, I'm glad to see you mention Stockdale and Epictetus. I count them as heroes too.

To add to the ancient mix, I will throw in Julian the Apostate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 08:20PM by archytas.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.