Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 05:35PM

When my little sister was a teenager, I began dragging her and one of her friends to church with me. I think they went for at least a year. Maybe two.

Everything was going quite well, until she abruptly stopped attending. At the time, she told me that it was because the sister missionary from Australia was too dang pushy about her getting baptized.

Just yesterday we were talking about it and she said it really had more to do with the lessons they were receiving on tithing. She thought, "Why on earth would God need quite that much money?"

She said they placed so much emphasis on tithing that it turned her right off and she didn't want to go to that church anymore. They seemed to be more about money than God.

At the time, it was upsetting. Now I'm so happy that she never joined the Church. I remain the only member of my family who was ever Mormon.

A cousin almost joined too, but as a single mother, she felt too judged and that turned her off the idea of joining the Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 06:04PM

I always wondered that too. If God owns the universe why does he want my money?

Its like the mafia asking for protection money.

"You want me to burn you down at the last day? Pay up and I will make sure I don't burn you."

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 06:06PM

Tripple in agreement
They seemed to be more about money than God.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 09, 2012 06:29PM

When I worked for the Church and was in trouble because I couldn't afford to pay a full tithe, my never-Mo parents couldn't understand why it had to be a full 10%.

They'd say, "Can't you just talk to your boss and explain that until you can get back on your feet again, you can only pay 2%?"

I'd say, "No, it has to be a full 10%." They just couldn't understand that at all.

I think my parents had a pretty high view of the Church until I worked for it and they began to see, as did I, that it was nothing more than a Corporation. Their view and promise of eternity is merely their product.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.