Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: postmormongirl ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:19AM

Just curious - I am an agnostic married to a Hindu. Part of why we bonded was our very similar experiences growing up in a very strict religious environment. Although in my husband's case, Hinduism is a religion that allows for a lot more leeway in terms of interpretation - there is even room within the theology for being both a Hindu and an atheist. So he still considers himself a Hindu, mostly because he does believe in a higher power and he feels a strong cultural attachment. But in terms of worship, he's pretty relaxed and non-confrontational about his approach.

So I wonder - how many others on this board are in interfaith relationships? And if so, how has it worked out? There was a pretty big opposition from my in-laws in the beginning - they had a lot of negative stereotypes towards Americans - but in the end, it has mostly worked out. Although there have certainly been some funny moments, especially when the Mormons and the Hindus met.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:41AM

My fiancé is Jewish and I absolutely love it! He and his family aren't super observant, but they keep some Jewish traditions and I think it's really nice.

Posted by: Serendipityhappensnotloggedin ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 08:41AM

I agree, Cultural Christian + Cultural Jew = 2x the family gatherings, traditions, celebrations and most importantly yummy food!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 03:34AM

DW is a tbm, and I am a yogi. We can't talk about religion much.

It's hard for both of us. And sometimes I fantasize about living with a yogini, in many ways that could be a real help in my practice. Moism is just so sad to me, and it hurts to see her and some of our kids so deluded by it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 07:40AM

Me.
Mrs Stumbling believes, Mr Stumbling not.

Posted by: Anonforthisone ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 08:09AM

My ex-husband is a semi-devout muslim (he fasts in Ramadan and prays, but still enjoys the occasional glass of wine) and at the time of our marriage, I was a non-denominational half believing kinda-sorta Christian. Religion was never an issue for us. I never felt any sort of pressure to convert from him or from his family. I studied the religion and read all of his religious texts and knew them better than he did but I would not convert and he was fine with that. I did make some concessions in order to fit in with his culture. For example I wore long shirts that went past my bum.. but there was also compromise in that I also wore short sleeves and open necks. When we were outside of our neighborhood or not in the middle east, I wore what I liked but It did make him feel a bit uncomfortable if I showed too much skin so I was aware of that and dressed accordingly.

As for food, he didn't eat pork and didn't like it in the house, but he try to control what I ate, he just didn't like it in the house because he saw it as dirty and he didn't want it near his food. He also prefered halal meats, but would also eat regular chicken, beef and lamb without complaint.

As for the in-laws I love them and I am still very close with many of them despite the divorce. They accepted me right away and threw several huge parties to celebrate our marriage. My ex-mother-in-law still holds out hope that we will get back together.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 11:33AM

He still calls himself Muslim - mostly for the sake of his family - but he doesn't practice it at all, no fasting, no praying, he drinks alcohol and eats pork, and he doesn't really believe it either. Though I think he still has the occasional "what if it might be true?" thought about Islam - he's kind of like an ex-Mormon that doesn't want to resign.
Actually, it's not really an interfaith marriage. I became Muslim so that I could marry him in Afghanistan. We both come from religious families, but neither of us care very much about religion. Except that Mormonism still bothers me, and he just doesn't let religion bother him.
My marriage is great. The best part is that we can really talk to each other about anything. My husband is an interpreter and very good at learning languages, so I think he's more verbally inclined than most men. Whatever the reason, he really understands me.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:50PM

and I'm sure his example is helping you in your own recovery.

Hugs

Anagrammy

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 09:25AM

My marriage is great but it's still long-distance. Hopefully he'll be here in a couple months. Talking on Skype every day is good, but he really needs to be here, especially now that we have our baby.
Religion isn't really an issue, but we do have our differences. I'm the kind of person who likes to go out and do things all the time, while he's happy to just stay home. But he'll be happy to come with us when I take the kids to the zoo, and I'll enjoy spending a relaxing evening at home with him sometimes. We can talk about those kinds of things and figure it out, because we love each other and we love our kids.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 12:42PM

I grew up Southern Baptist and my husband was born into the Mormon church. Considering some of the radical belief differences between those two groups, I definitely consider us to be an interfaith relationship.

Both of us have largely rejected what we were raised in (although we each still cling to certain beliefs) and we have moved together towards a more relaxed belief in God. We are both wary of dogmatic groups and have not found a church that we can agree on. We don't fight, we just can't settle on one. We're in the south so that makes it tougher.

Our relationship works though, despite the differences. Communication is key and learning when to just not bring up a religious topic helps a lot. We've agreed on how to raise our kids and we just grow together as our kids get older. My husband is very open minded about religions and it's been an interesting facet of life to explore with him.

We are going to the Hindu temple in Lilburn GA for Diwali this year, it's a beautiful place :)

Posted by: postmormongirl ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 01:51PM

I think being in a relationship with a person who has a pretty non-confrontational approach to beliefs has helped a lot. (He has a huge beef with trying to convert people, thinks it's pointless.) It hasn't always been easy - I can run at the mouth sometimes - but overall, it helps to see a different point of view.

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 02:18PM

Me.
DH is mormon. I am agnostic

Posted by: Wimp ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 02:25PM

I am, I'm just too big of a wimp to tell my wife I don't believe any longer.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 07:57PM

My husband is Catholic and I am confused

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 08:10PM

I am ex-mormon and consider myself agnostic.
Wife is and always has been Protestant.

Which used to really mess with my head cause she would jump around from Lutheran to Episcopal to Presbyterian depending on the congregation/pastor.

Still don't get it, but it is what it is.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 08:19PM

me, ex mormon..my honey, ex lutheran...well, he never really attended church after childhood, so we are just both non-committal about the whole religion thing..really don't think about it much.

We both love our weekends just being together, not worrying about church or stuff.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 08:50PM

DW is an anxiously engaged TBM. I'm an atheist.

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 08:51PM

I'm atheist and my wife is Catholic.

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: September 10, 2012 11:14PM

Im probably an atheist (why can't I just say it already? lol). My hubby is christian, but not hardcore. Hes the most relaxed guy on earth and he said I can believe whatever I want, hes just glad Im not mormon anymore.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 12:54AM

I was a Mormon, although inactive when I married my wife who is Catholic, also mostly inactive. We never went to each others church's except for funerals, etc.
Ron Burr

Posted by: mormonimposter (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 03:13AM

I'm a mormomimposter and my boyfriend's an actual mormon. We have completely different religious beliefs, yet our morals and values are strangely similar. But I don't think anyone needs to read my textwall elaborating on it. :)

Posted by: Al ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 03:36AM

Is that similar to feminism?

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 08:55AM

Mr. and Mrs. BI are and we have just learned that it is the nail in our coffin. SWK thinks its baaad. So we will all be going to some lowly level together. Shall we form a self-help group? I'll bake a cake on the hot embers of our soon to be hell hole. Oh, and I'll bring a coffee grinder. It tastes so much better fresh! :)

Posted by: summer kites ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 10:38AM

My husband grew up Mormon and still is. I grew up attending the Episcopal church but now consider myself Agnostic.

My current belief is that I simply don't know what goes on beyond the realm of human existence. It's a mystery to me and that's fine. It can be fun to ponder the universe.

Since dh is more of a jack mormon than a TBM, my lack of religion doesn't affect the relationship in a negative way.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 12:20PM

I follow Jesus Christ, and my husband is agnostic. He and I agree almost 100% on ethics. In fact he calls me on gossip, judging, and things like that.

He sometimes has trouble sharing. Letting people borrow stuff or giving stuff away. It stems from his very competitive childhood where the kids didn't get much attention from their parents.

From the day we met, he has supported my involvement in church although I think he's gone 5 times in 20 years (including our wedding and kids' baptisms). He refers to my church as "our church"

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:00PM

My wife is TBM and I am a hedonist. It makes for some interesting times.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.