Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BrownLamanite ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:07PM

Within minutes a "friend" who is second counselor in my former ward sent me a private message telling me how dare me try to destroy the faith of others, especially my family. He blocked me right away, so I couldn't respond to him. Maybe he doesn't know that my wife and I and my two children all decided to leave mormonism because we felt were being manipulated. Besides, mormons are always trying to convert people, like they did to us, so waht's wrong with trying to de-convert others?

Although I don't care what mormons think of me leaving their organization, this is the first time a mormon has confronted me like that, and it feels weird. Funny. I guess he's just traumatized. I remember one day he told me that he wouldn't know what to do if he didn't have the church. That he would feel lost and wouldn't know how to raise his family.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:13PM

That's pretty chickenshit to leave you a driveby flaming and then not leave the door open for a response. I'd treat it as such: the chickenshit actions of a coward.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:14PM

Well said.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:19PM

When my hubby was pretending to be a TBM about a year ago, he posted on FB about winning $2,000 fake dollars playing blackjack at a company event. A member of the Stake High Council in our ward chastised him for it.

Posted by: Serendiptiyhappens ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 06:32PM

That's hilarious! What a jerk, even by mormon standards!

Posted by: Onmywayout . . . someday ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 07:21PM

Really? I just won a fake money poker tournament at a work event and I didn't think for one second that I might be sinning (not that I really believe in that anymore).

Posted by: Onmywayout . . . someday ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 07:26PM

I could be wrong since I unfortunately can't read minds, but I really think that one of the reasons TBMs behave like this is because they know deep down that they really don't know that "the Church is true" despite how many times they have said that they do. For this reason they really try to avoid (or react angrily to) facts that get in the way of their fantasy.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 07:31PM

Yeah, for real! He was ward mission leader at the time, and it "gave the wrong impression". Sigh....

Posted by: alooha ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 08:17PM

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:22PM

Ohhh yes, the past can hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfGTL2PY3E

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:29PM

Yes, consider the source. This man is an ignorant dweeb with no mind of his own, from what he said.

Welcome to the dark side of Mormonism! My bishop, the stake president, my home teacher, and a neighbor all threatened me, when I left. They threatened that I would become sicker (I was ill at the time, and had to quit my callings), that we would suffer financially if we didn't pay tithing, that my children and I would be separated forever in the hereafter, and would walk past each other as strangers, that my children would fail, without the gospel to guide them. My next door TBM neighbor asked, "What did we do to offend you so much that you would leave the church?"

Of course you could not reply to your second counselor "friend." Conversations with Mormons are only one-way. No one has ever asked me directly, exactly WHY I resigned from Mormonism. In fact, the way I shut them up from preaching at me, is to say, "I'm going to tell you the truths I discovered about Mormonism.,," They not only shut up, they run away from me. They act like little children, holding their ears, and yelling, "la-la-la!" Only, they bear that same canned testimony of theirs, louder and louder.

Sorry, but after 7 years of this, I'm sick of them. I left quietly, and tried to stay on good terms with my so-called "friendly" Mormon neighbors, but they all shun me. At first, I was terribly hurt, until I found out on RFM that this is just SOP for Mormons. They need to tell the bishop in the temple recommend interview that they do not "associate with any apostates or apostate groups." That means us. I hope your feelings are not hurt by your former friend's bad behavior. It does indicate that these people were never our real friends. I hope you have some good non-Mormon friends to see you through this socially difficult time. You have us on RFM. No matter how badly the Mormons treat you, leaving the cult will make you happier than you've ever been!

Congratulations on getting your wife and two children out! By the way, my children were much closer to me, when I stopped forcing them into a cult that they hated. Contrary to the threats and curses, we are all healthy, successful, and happy. All the best to you!

I love what you said:

"Mormons are always trying to convert people, like they did to us, so waht's wrong with trying to de-convert others?"

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:33PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:39PM

you KNOW he wanted to click that link though right? I bet he had to restrain his little hand the entire afternoon :)

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:43PM

He's a coward for not allowing you to respond to him privately. Repost his private message (with his name) on your public facebook, and answer him there. Show him that he can't hide when he acts like a jerk...

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:45PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 03:40PM

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 06:44PM

Humiliate him publicly.

Posted by: roxy ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 06:54PM

Genius idea.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 01:55PM

I've gotten responses like that a lot, and I would continue to get responses like that regularly if I didn't keep my mouth shut more often.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 03:37PM

The counselor says, "he wouldn't know what to do if he didn't have the church. That he would feel lost and wouldn't know how to raise his family"

Billions of people have been raising billions of children forever and the world continually advances and yet this idiot would be lost raising his kids without the mormon church?

I don't know if that is a bigger insult to mankind in general or to his own intelligence.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 04:26PM

"Within minutes a "friend" who is second counselor in my former ward sent me a private message telling me how dare me try to destroy the faith of others, especially my family."

If something is true then how can it be destroyed?
However a pack of lies can easily be exposed with the fuller and more accurate information.

I can remember people I know being conned into Ponzi type scams and when I explained how the con worked the response would be 'How dare you oppose a wonderful opportunity" or words to that effect! and worse still they would claim they have looked into it!! lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 04:27PM by zeezrom.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 04:35PM

>>If something is true then how can it be destroyed?
However a pack of lies can easily be exposed with the fuller and more accurate information.

Exactly. Even when I was religious I read a lot of anti-religious literature.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 04:43PM

I hate the hypocrisy of Mormons. It's perfectly fine to blog, FB post, tweet, send letters, go door to door, love bomb, leave food, bare testimony in public... But GOD FORBID anyone who has a different opinion share it!

I had an issue with over-the-top TBM SIL. I had blogged some "anti" material and she complained to husband about it. Firstly, complain to my face, and secondly- he asked her what the difference of my post was to her ranting testimony. Mine was of course "offensive.". Well, hers was to me...

Whatever.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 04:48PM

Just quote to him Eyering, and Hales, & all the other prophets/apostles who have said "If you know the truth, you should be embarrassed not to share it"

I always love that TBMs are willing to violate any/all social norms in the name of missionary work, but anyone doing the same thing for any other cause (especially anti-mormon truths) is satan-in-carnate.

I also *love* that they just can't see the double standard, no matter how hard they try.

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 08:10PM

They try?

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 06:59PM

"how dare [you] try to destroy the faith of others"? Isn't that what TSCC tries to do with all their missionaries?

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 07:13PM

A while back I contacted a former mission companion I had liked and maintained a relationship with at BYU after the mission. I got cold reply saying that he'd looked me up sometime back and found I had criticized the church and he doesn't want to talk with me. Further, he said, I am too good of an arguer for him to want to deal with. I found out later he is employed by BYU-ID. Made me a little sad. I had wondered how he was doing. I wasn't out to kill his belief system, but it did make me wonder who fragile it is since he reacted so strongly to my contacting him.

Posted by: gus2144 ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 07:28PM

They're told not to even communicate with us "apostates."

Posted by: msk938 ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 07:42PM

You really can't blame most of the mainstream mormons for reacting that way. The people in the church are the ones that have distorted the doctrine and the perception of the doctrine. Its really sad.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: September 11, 2012 08:48PM

It's loathsome that he would make a personal attack on your character while choosing to hide from any type of response from you. "...[D]estroy the faith of others?" What is he so afraid of if he has truth on his side?

Reminds me of one of my favorite Welty novels, where she gives the wonderful metaphor of the the architect husband: "...[He] design[ed] houses to stand, to last, to be lived in; but he had known they could equally well, with the same devotion and tireless effort, be built of cards" (TOD 188).

The church is that metaphor personifed. It's become a house of cards. Thus, people like this guy react out of fear, slamming the door in the face of reality for a church quickly becoming obsolete.

Many of you may have already discovered this information, but if you haven't, it's fascinating, stats on why many people are leaving the church in droves, dated the first of this year. "Why Mormons Leave." I know nothing about it other than perusing its information. If anyone knows its authors, I'll credit them.

http://whymormonsleave.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/WhyTheyLeave_30Jan2012v4.pdf

Notice the three main reasons why members are leaving and the percentages of those polled:

1. I lost faith in Joseph Smith.
2. I studied church history and lost my belief.
3. I ceased to believe in the church's doctrine/theology.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.