Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 25, 2010 10:46PM

Uber TBM MIL got us one can of freeze dried beef teriyaki with rice to "start or add to our food storage in preparation for the second coming."

How frickin depressing. Sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2010 03:28AM by goldenrule.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: December 25, 2010 10:49PM

Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas CD

Posted by: Nanackle ( )
Date: December 25, 2010 10:51PM

MIL/FIL got us a 20 lb bag of pento beans for our food storage. Yet she is offended when we give her a beautifully hand made photo album of her grand children.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:22AM

Posted by: 87vetteguy ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 11:51AM

Nanackle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Yet she is offended when we give her
> a beautifully hand made photo album of her grand
> children.

That is just so weird. How in the hell can a grandma be offended with family pictures? That is just so , well weird.
My Mom and Dad loved them of their grandkids. They would rather have that than most anything else.

You should be offended for getting something such as bag of beans. That is so shallow on so many levels.

I feel so sorry for you. I guess that is how bad they have been programmed by tscc.

Posted by: idunno ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 04:25PM

...you can donate them to a shelter.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 25, 2010 11:35PM

We get something like that every year. We got a really nice nativity set.

But this year mostly cute stuff for our daughter.

Grandma sends very Mormony Christmas cards and always says something about the Lord blessing us, but it's goes in one ear and out the other.

Posted by: Alone in this world ( )
Date: December 25, 2010 11:41PM

My mom is elderly and unwell.
She depends on me a great deal, both physically and financially.
My bitch of a sister is rich, but has never offered one bit of assistance, either personal or financial.
Bitch sis has not visited us for 5 years, even though Mom cries and begs her to come. Bitch sis says our deteriorating neighborhood is "just too depressing".
Bitch sis sent a Christmas card addressed only to Mom.
The card said "For my Mother on Christmas".
Does anyone else here have such a cold hearted c--t of a sister?
Yes, Dana, this is me talking about YOU.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:25PM

Wow, until you mentioned your sister's name, I thought maybe I posted this without realizing it, because I totally live this situation complete with bitch of a sister who, living states away, is completely comfortable being neglectful of my mother. We see her maybe once every 6 years, ONLY if either of US make the effort.

Posted by: 87vetteguy ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:50PM

That is so sad to hear that. I wish I had something to help the hurt. But all I can do is wish you the best.

People dont often think of what they say and then blame the victim for being offended. I guess it is ok to do the offending and not being offended when being truly offended.

I had a few folks in church say a few things to me and I still havent forgot the hurt, 30 some years later.

Once said, forever said.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: December 25, 2010 11:55PM

I think the TBMs have given up on me. hahaha And I hope so.

K

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 12:00AM

Unless you count the 'birthday calender' TBM MIL sends which contains not only family members birthdays but also the birthdays and anniversaries of half the population of the TBM Mormon town she lives in.

We don't know why she bothers. No one in the family gives a darn about anyone elses birthday. Ours goes in the trash every year.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 12:07AM

If she gets them printed up, I'll bet that everyone of the people that have a birthday listed in the calender gets one.

If she has it all in a computer program, then all she needs to do is print it out and distribute it.

If that is the case, then it is a very transparent attempt to make someone feel special without doing much of anything.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 12:03AM

Got Monson's book. Title is something about Rescue or Rescuers or something like that. Not likely to even crack it open.

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 12:10AM

A couple of obscure aunts put together a book about our family history, especially focusing around the men who fought in the Revolution and their children who converted to Mormonism and lived in Nauvoo. Apparently, our ancestors were so special that God kept them safe so they could join the cult and raise their family in it. It says right in the book that it's not an unbiased history. Yeah, no kidding.

I can't read it. The few paragraphs I have read are driving me insane. The book oozes such dribble, I have to put a towel under it...

And I still have another family party tomorrow night and one next week. I seriously hope I don't get anything else that killed trees to tell lies.

Date: December 26, 2010 12:27AM

gave us a lame book by some GA. I re-gifted it to a friend who would love something like that. Other than that, I've been very lucky avoiding rubbish.

Posted by: Anon for now, regular poster ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 12:58AM

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:08AM

I give up.

I thought Jesus was suppose to come and clean everything up, not create anarchy. Will our access to food be disrupted? What exactly is it that mormons think Jesus will do. "I'm back, but I hope you brought your own food." ? You'd think he could whip up some loaves and fishes for those who paid their tithing and didn't get toasted.

Did I miss something, or forget something? Or maybe I'm mixing up religious beliefs....

Date: December 26, 2010 01:27AM

That the Savior, when he returns, will clean up everything for the good people of the world.

That's why Mormons are going to need all the food storage they can get.

Her words.

Posted by: Goofy ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:47AM

Just the christmas brag letters about everyone's missions and temple marriages.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:51AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 02:07AM

My family wouldn't dare.I guess I am lucky.

Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 02:24AM

My dad got me Robert Hales book "return" and wrote his testimony on the inside of the cover. I started reading the first few pages just for fun, but I didn't get far. I read 3 pages and couldn't take it anymore and put it down. It's safe to say I probably won't be picking it up again.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 02:42AM

But I think the espresso maker and coffee maker from my Jack-Mo Mom make up for that!

Besides, crockpot meals are good. =)

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 08:35AM

A crockpot would be a good thing, especially for making Jewish penicillin! That's what I use mine for.

Posted by: formermormer ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 03:37AM

a lot of shitty family history stuff (even though they are rich gave absolutely no money or expensive gifts, just the shitty family history stuff that i don't want)

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 04:18AM

I think DW worked too hard this week, and woke up tired and cranky today. When we were alone before dinner, she just went ballistic, with a full frontal assault on lucky me.

She crossed many lines and broke boundaries, while doing unto me in ways she most definitely does not appreciate me doing to her. She got very ugly, very fast, with no real provocation or meaningful context. She mocked my spirituality, accused me of un-Christian behaviors (o horrors!); in short, I was guilty of various sorts of "sin".

I figured her tantrum was an aberration, caused by fatigue and her usual Mo guilt and frustration. As the exmo bad guy, I am the favorite target.

I didn't play tho. Been there, done that. I fed back to her a description of what she was doing, without the judgments or analysis, without attacks or hysterics. I offered to help in any way possible. But I refused to wear the hair shirt she pushed. I refused the false guilt she crafted for me. I held my peace, and my boundary.

Then I skipped Christmas dinner and meditated for a couple hours, and found insight into the situation. I realized I had to treat her the way I wanted her to treat me. Later, I asked what had brought the hostility, and she admitted she didn't understand her own problems, at all. She didn't really mean the hurtful things she said. So we just chalked it up to a tired day.

This kind of thing used to upset me for hours, or days. Now I stay in my peace. Much nicer.

Posted by: puck ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 07:49AM

My mom sent me a burn kit with bible and book of mormon quotes pasted to the outside. Oh yes, I do think it was a message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2010 07:49AM by puck.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 11:38AM

Date: December 26, 2010 11:58AM

OMG Puck that is hilarious! Talk about not to subtly sending a message LOL! Love it!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:06PM

Well, at the very least you have a burn kit now. Seriously, that is one of the most offensive gifts I've ever heard of. The more I read about your family, the more I wonder their level of mental stability. Yikes.

Date: December 26, 2010 05:15PM

puck Wrote:
> My mom sent me a burn kit with bible and book of
> mormon quotes pasted to the outside. Oh yes, I do
> think it was a message.

A "burn kit?"

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 07:51AM

Just like sacrament meeting, All of their "thoughts" were written by somebody else.

The parents and siblings never sent anything, and they neglected to inform us that they were doing the secret (oops, I mean sacred) santa swap again this year...that was a nice touch.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 09:38AM

I am a nevermo... never heard of a *can* of freeze dried food, especially not beef teriyaki. It sounds like something akin to an MRE. Revolting!

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 10:49AM

My MIL gave DW(and I) a book by Cleon Skousen called-
"The Cleansing of America"
The title made it sound like the 21st century mormon version of Mein Kampf. A quick flip through the table of contents reveals that its full of last-days apocalyptic prophesies as they relate to modern day america, the threats to the constitution, and the eventual socializing of america, except that it will be called "The law of consecration."

The D&C is just about the only book in its bibliography, with minor references to the bible here and there.
This probably ought to be a separate thread, but the cog dis amazes me. I mean, how could a died-in-the-wool right winger like Skousen not see that the Law of Consecration is essentially communism?

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 11:27AM

My home teacher made his annual visit and this time he didn't bring flour. He brought jam. I guess I have no excuse now to not get up off my lazy ass and bake some bread.

I wonder how long jam keeps. These jars have 07 written on them.

Date: December 26, 2010 12:04PM

What? 07?! Now that's just rude.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:42PM

TOSS IT !!!!

Cases of food poisoning are on the rise - no doubt due to people giving more home made foods as gifts in this economy.

The Mormons who gifted you the 4yr old jam were probably just rotating out their old food storage items. Gawdddd....

Date: December 26, 2010 05:17PM

Charley Wrote:
> My home teacher made his annual visit and this
> time he didn't bring flour. He brought jam. I
> guess I have no excuse now to not get up off my
> lazy ass and bake some bread.
>
> I wonder how long jam keeps. These jars have 07
> written on them.

Send them back.

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 05:32PM

Save it and regift it back to them next year. Bwa ha ha ha

Seriously tho, I don't think old jam can make you sick. Sugar is a pretty good preservative. If there's not mold on top, I think it should be fine.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 12:06PM

I guess they are into exclusion as I'm the dreaded Apostate - they act like it's contagious!
I'm apparently so much of a threat, they even ignore the believer in the family.

One offers an impossible invitation - AGAIN - then turns it against us.
Some kind of brain-malfunction, I guess.

Of all the LDS folks I have known in my life, some in my family and in laws are the strangest.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 12:13PM

A dish towel made to look like a skirt with a crocheted shirt hanger. (Every kitchen should have one.)

A jar of homemade pickles with no labels.

Some marshmallows dipped in chocolate with pretzel sticks in them. Comes with cat hair.

And the most special of all....a Deseret Book mentality level book about Christmas with pictures of Jesus all over the place....signed by the author.

They meant well and I'm appreciative. It was nice of them to think of me. It sure brought back memories of RS busywork and church mindlessness though.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 02:11PM

dagny Wrote:
> A dish towel made to look like a skirt with a
> crocheted shirt hanger. (Every kitchen should have
> one.)
>
>

I have received those too! It's probably in a drawer someplace. My sister specifically told me NEVER to give her one! LOL

Date: December 26, 2010 01:08PM

LOL I'm seriously cracking up right now! We usually get those butt ugly RS crafts from MIL for Christmas. Don't know what happened this year. Got that same crocheted dish towel a few years back haha! Oh the mindlessness of the church. Sigh.

But at least those RS projects are thoughtful and take a token amount of effort. That shit she gave us this year was just a slap in the face. The pic on the can looks like it's from 1980.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:19PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 01:20PM

I got a "dressing down" from my TBM daughter on Christmas Eve no less--let me know what a f*ck up I really am in her eyes. Oh, she has apologized now, but I will never get over what she said to me. Probably the reason I'm back on this board today. We had spent some really good times the week or two before Christmas--she leaves to live in Tennessee tomorrow. I don't know if I've ever been so wounded.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 02:14PM

Posted by: britexmo ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 02:11PM

Saturdays warrior on DVD, it was worse than I remember...

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 05:18PM

Oh man! An illustrated dictionary of mormon terms and concepts. Mormon Doctrine with pictures? WTF???

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.